Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2019, 03:58 PM   #1

2018 22' Sport
Lakewood , Colorado
Places to stay with an Airstream

Before I bought my Airstream this summer, an Airstream owner mentioned to me that there was a club or group that I could reference to find free places to stay on farms or vineyards around the country, perhaps in exhange for some work trade. Does anyone know of this type of group and would you please give me the name. Thanks!
Meli H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Well, one option is Harvest Hosts. You join up ( = pay a fee, so not quite free). That lets you stay at a variety of places all over the country. The stay its self is indeed free. The locations include things like farms, wineries, breweries, museums .... Normally its an overnight stay. They rarely have hookups. We're staying at one tonight.

That does not quite sound like what you are talking about.

https://harvesthosts.com

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:20 AM   #3

2018 22' Sport
Lakewood , Colorado
Harvest Hosts

Thank you Bob! I think that is exactly what is looking for!
Melinda
Meli H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum, Melinda!

Following up on Bob . . . FYI here are some search results showing the mentions of Harvest Hosts on this site:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Harv...com&gws_rd=ssl

This thread is fairly recent:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ts-190573.html

Were you looking for the Wally Byam Caravan Club Int. [WBCCI], perhaps? Members often let other members stay at their locations.

https://www.google.com/search?q=WBCC...=airforums.com
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...club-4070.html

Happy trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meli H View Post
Thank you Bob! I think that is exactly what is looking for!
Melinda
Hi

We have used them quite a bit. I signed up early for a lifetime membership. That got turned into a +Golf membership when they merged with the golf club group. We don't play golf so have never checked any of them out. All of the ones we have stayed at have been very nice.

Bob
Old 10-19-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Universal City , Arkansas
If you're traveling through Wilcox Arizona, stay at the Pillsbury Winery through Harvest Hosts. Awesome wine, wonderful staff, and quiet stay. Lots of surprises.
Barnyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
If you're traveling through Wilcox Arizona, stay at the Pillsbury Winery through Harvest Hosts. Awesome wine, wonderful staff, and quiet stay. Lots of surprises.

I think the whole idea behind Harvest Host is you join THEN you find great places to stay for free!
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
St. Marys , Georgia
Harvest Hosts are not 'free' stays. As clearly stated by etiquette guidelines, you are expected to purchase at least minimal products--of course usually welcome additions to supplies.
peggy2ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Places to stay with an Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggy2ten View Post
Harvest Hosts are not 'free' stays. As clearly stated by etiquette guidelines, you are expected to purchase at least minimal products--of course usually welcome additions to supplies.

They do not, and actually can not, charge you for your stay. Define “free” as you like. From the Harvest hope app.... “Stay at 800+ farms, wineries, and more for FREE! “

I think you missed the main point of my post.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:17 AM   #10

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

We have used them quite a bit. I signed up early for a lifetime membership. That got turned into a +Golf membership when they merged with the golf club group. We don't play golf so have never checked any of them out. All of the ones we have stayed at have been very nice.

Bob

The golf locations I have considered required you to book and play a round of golf. Being a non golfer that doesn’t work. I would be glad to have drinks and a meal at their restaurant. I’ll not be renewing the golf portion of HH.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
The golf locations I have considered required you to book and play a round of golf. Being a non golfer that doesn’t work. I would be glad to have drinks and a meal at their restaurant. I’ll not be renewing the golf portion of HH.

Interesting. While we play golf it has never been a requirement for us. It is only suggested that you help the enterprise in one way or another. Many golf courses have bars and restaurants. A meal should suffice!
Old 10-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Boondockerswelcome.com. Not necessarily free, but another option other than RV parks.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:45 AM   #13
Kiwis on the move

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Auckland , New Zealand
Harvest Hosts

We are have stayed at a few, so far each one has been fantastic
Wiil be using it again next year
KiwiNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
Interesting. While we play golf it has never been a requirement for us. It is only suggested that you help the enterprise in one way or another. Many golf courses have bars and restaurants. A meal should suffice!
Hi

Indeed that point came up (at a bar at a Harvest Host) about a week back. According to the owner of that location, what shows up on the web site is often stock verbiage that may or may not really apply. Their suggestion was to call and ask if indeed the "requirements" on the web page didn't seem to work for you.

We may give the "call them and ask" approach a try next time we are out. Maybe it will result in our actually using the golf part of the membership for the first time. Since we're life members, the cost of that part was zero so no big deal either way.

Bob