Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Landrum , South Carolina
Picking Up Bubble

Hello All:

We picked up Bubble on May 2 but this post talks about getting to Valley View Texas. Will start new thread on getting Bubble -- haven't named trailer yet -- and the drive back to Huntington Beach.

We left wonderful Huntington Beach on Wednesday, April 30 with the plan on being in Valley View Friday early AM. The drive from HB to Las Cruses was very uneventful except for the winds. I drive a long bed F350 4x4 and we were being pushed around like I have never felt in the truck. This started in the Banning Pass, near Riverside, and lasted until we got to Phoenix.

We arrived in Las Cruses around 7:00 and found a motel. Being in New Mexico, I had to have some green chile something for dinner. The clerk recommended "Andale's". I had three carnitas enchiladas with green chiles and a fried egg on top --- REALLY GREAT. I recommend this place if you are ever in this area. We covered about 800 miles and the truck averaged close to 16 mpg -- not bad considering the winds.

The next day, we left for Weatherford Texas, about 60 miles from Vally View and 35 miles from Fort Worth. We stopped in Midland Texas and it reminded me of Oklahoma with all the oil wells and oil operations. Since we were in Texas, we wanted some bar-b-que -- BBQ. Asked our phone for a BBQ place and it listed about five places and one of them was K&D's. (Technology sure is wonderful ) Let me tell you, I have not had good BBQ since I was in Sand Springs Oklahoma until I ate at K&Ds. Sand Springs use to serve the BBQ on newspaper -- this was before they found out that the ink was not good for you -- and it was great. At K&D's, they give you a tray with a piece of butcher paper on it and you tell them what you want and they cut it up and put it on the tray. I got 2 ribs, brisket, and sausage. This was all cooked and served without sauce. IT WAS GREAT and we ate way, way to much.

We arrived in Weatherford around 6, found a motel, and then went downtown to walk around and to walk off lunch. Saw the court house which was built in the mid-1800s and a lot of wonderful old homes. The next morning, we got up early -- excited about looking at Bubble -- and drove out to Vally View and onto Melody Ranch. We went to the barn and there was Bubble along with four other AS including one other Bubble. It was great to see all these vintage AS -- mainly in the 50's with one in the 40's. We spent almost 3 hours going through bubble and a little time going through some of the others. I learned a lot and actually seeing Bubble was more than I expected. I spent time talking about the trailer and looked at a lot of pictures of the restoration and of the final product but seeing in person sealed the deal.

Long Post and I will start a new thread with pictures of the trip from Valley View back to Huntington Beach.

Carl and Beth
Proud Owners of 1956 Bubble 309

How do I insert photos into thread?
OkieHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Picking Up Bubble

Andales is one of my sons favorites.

Nice write up!

Pictures are pretty easy from an I phone on the app, just click the icon just to the right of the little camera.

I don't know how to direct post otherwise, but you can copy a direct link from Photobucket, Flickr, etc.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote