Old 09-29-2016, 09:22 PM   #1
Brooklyn , New York
Permanent Home/Stationary Living

Hi AirForums!

I'm a newbie, I honestly tried to search through existing discussions to answer my questions and found some bits and pieces, and I apologize in advance if I am being redundant or asking this in the wrong place.

I am trying to plan ahead and am thinking about my living accommodations for the coming years after I graduate college and keep coming back to the idea of living in an Airstream. Having grown up in Brooklyn the rents are perhaps too high to stay in my hometown and the idea of living somewhere else is an adventure I probably need, having not really travelled much. Many factors point to needing to be settled down somewhere, and I've read here that the main advantage of AS is in travel. Nonetheless, if any of you are tethered down anywhere in a more permanent way, can you tell me about thing I should consider?

Thanks for your time,

BluesyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:26 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I'd think real hard before jumping into living in an Airstream unless you have a good income. It may not be the most practical or cost effective way to live depending on your circumstances. First of all you need something to tow it with and then a place to park it so try to think this through! A forum member using the name Mandolindave made a great post the other day about finding a parking place to live! Something like living on a farm and doing something useful for the owner could work out, or hiding way out in the forest maybe possible. Just think it through!

ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:31 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
The thought just occurred to me that maybe you could rent a small warehouse that had a bathroom you could tap into for water and sewer if you are back in the rust belt. Out here that would be too expensive and safety codes prohibit it. Zoning laws make cheap living hard out here.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
You can't just park a trailer anywhere you like and live. Most municipalities prohibit it, even if you own the land. It also isn't necessarily cheaper. You'd likely be better off renting a room or apartment. If money permits, buy a home (condo, apartment, what-have-you).
Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
What kind of a job are you going to school for? That will determine how often you may be called to move. Airstreams are not well insulated and make poor winter accommodations. If your idea job calls for you to be a nomad, Airstream might be a good choice. An entertainer I know does shows at RV parks in the summer up north and in Florida and Texas in the winter.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:41 AM   #6
Brooklyn , New York
Thanks for all of the thoughts and replies--they will all help me put this in perspective.

As far as my professional path I am studying to be an orchestral conductor. That may become more of a pedagogical path... I also play a lot of blues and I think my practice across all genres will improve when I have less of audience interupting my practice. Once I graduate I will need to do a lot more practice, as the degree may make me more hirable but hasn't necessarily made me extra proficient. The reason I thought the AS may work for me is a mix of the solitude/ability to practice for hours and if night if I need to work during the day, and also because my entire life I grew up constantly renting, always dealing weird people living above below etc etc weird landlords etc and if I can manage it I really want to be free from that for a little bit and this may be a way I can do that. I am not very wealthy but I have some time to start saving while I don't have many other costs of living. If I can feed my appetite for nice surroundings by being in an AS I may try to.

I still have a lot to think through, so both the positive and the skeptical responses are very helpful. I'm particularly interested parking law, and how much diversity there is in it across the country/if it is legal to live in an AS on your own property in some places.

Thanks again for your time,
BluesyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:50 AM   #7
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
It is possible to live in an Airstream. However, consider that Airstreams are much more expensive than your average trailer, and they are designed to travel. They don't have as much space as other trailers that cost 1/3 of what an Airstream costs. If you are not planning on traveling much, you may want to consider other brands.

This is an Airstream board, so we are all obviously Airstream fans. We all bought one for different reasons, but the two most compelling reasons to buy an Airstream are their longevity (due to aluminum construction) and ease of towing. The downside is that they can be very expensive. Good luck with your search.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:27 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Check out You Tube for videos of people doing stealth camping or living on the road for some ideas! Actually against the law in most counties in the land of the free to live in a trailer or RV even on your own property. The main issue used to hassle people is sewer connection, a health and safety code violation, unless you have a permitted septic tank or sewer connection. Even then you have zoning laws and building codes. I'd think even tiny houses have problems. It's just against the law to live cheaply in most places. That's not to say you can't do it but you need the right circumstances, especially good neighbors and being out of sight of authorities.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Welcome to the forum! There have been quite a few other threads which have discussed similar issues, so you may want to check them out. You can click on the ">" arrow at the top of the following quote to go to that thread, and also visit the various links posted.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
There have been some other threads raising similar issues. I will look for some links FYI. Ditto to drboyd about zoning in most suburban areas being the main problem. Here are some possible threads with leads:

Also you could look at the Full-timing sub-forums' list of threads:
. . .
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I think that in most areas of the country urbanized enough to need orchestra conductors, it would probably be illegal to live in a trailer outside of areas that are specifically zoned as mobile home parks. I'm sure that's true of Sacramento county, where I live. That said, I leave my Airstream on a pad in the backyard whenever I'm not using it. Many of my neighbors do the same thing with their RV's. I'm sure if you left one in your front driveway for too long, someone would complain, but to my knowledge nobody has ever received any complaints about leaving one semi out of sight in the back or side yard. Is anyone living in any of them? Not in mine, but I frankly don't know or care whether or not anyone is living in any of my neighbors' RV's. So one idea would be to find an area where RV's are commonly stored on the owners' properties, legally or not, rent some space from someone, and try to not make it too obvious that someone is living in the RV. You would have to agree with the owner that you would move if anyone complained, but if you lived a fairly quiet life, I doubt that anyone would.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I'll tell you what my mom told me when I graduated college and landed a fairly-good job: "Start building equity in a house, townhouse, or condo. You don't want to be fifty and not own the roof over your head."

So, at the very least, find a legal piece of property that you can purchase and plunk an Airstream, another trailer, or maybe even a mini-house.

Most Airstreamers are 50+, and buy an Airstream because they can afford it (are mortage or almost mortgage free). They can then pretend to be young, fancy free, and ridiculously romantic again.
easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member
2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
FAN you nailed it!
TCA and GPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Originally Posted by BluesyKate View Post

my entire life I grew up constantly renting, always dealing weird people living above below etc etc weird landlords etc and if I can manage it I really want to be free from that for a little bit and this may be a way I can do that.
The thing is, when you are traveling, or living in a campground that other travelers stay in, you are constantly around other people you don't know who don't know you. Strangers. On this account I don't think you would at all get away from that feeling of not being in control of your surroundings.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hm. When I go inside the AS and shut the door, I'm certainly in control of where I am.

Being able to change locations fairly easy is also a measure of control as well.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote