Old 03-03-2008, 10:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnerges
They just fit together. My friend and I did the STP, Seattle to Portland bicycle ride last year. ON day one, we pedaled from Husky Stadium to Chehalis. (The flooded place this year). I pre positioned Aunt Gladys at a small RV park the day before. We rolled up, tired, grimy and sore, it was 115 miles. Got out, took a shower, nap, walk and ate a huge BBQ over the fire. Slept like a baby, woke up with good coffee and powdered donuts, got back on the bike and finished the ride.

The Airstream was designed for outings like this. Many other cyclist stayed in tents, rented rooms, park benches. We were living in style.

Great fun
jnerges,
That sounds like you are living and riding in style. Exercise combined with a five star destination resort waiting at the other end. But I am a little concerned about your diet....??? huge BBQ and powered donuts? Get back on that bike and give me twenty (miles) !

Old 03-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
I've been a member her for about 2 years now. Compared to some of the really seasoned users I'm still a relative newby. One observation I've made though is that Airforums is evolving. The moderators will listen to our requests and eventually make changes if it is warranted.

A bike forum might be nice - or maybe it could be part of another forum on activities.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
I've been a member her for about 2 years now. Compared to some of the really seasoned users I'm still a relative newby. One observation I've made though is that Airforums is evolving. The moderators will listen to our requests and eventually make changes if it is warranted.

A bike forum might be nice - or maybe it could be part of another forum on activities.
Or I could just threaten to take my bike and go home and see if that works

But it is mostly fun to read what everyone else is up to, be it restoration, rallies, or the new rottweiller puppy. Or biking.

My bicycle interest is as strong as my Airstream "hobby" and I often mention that my last Bike cost twice what I paid for the Safari. Now I cannot afford a new bike after the restoration!
It seems like everyone just posts whatever and where ever they want anyway.
How about a bike section?
Oh by the way, that's Stella with Wally...I think see wrote a cookbook for travel trailering or something....yes?
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2008, 01:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Talking

http://www.affordablehousinginstitut...ycle_small.jpg
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62
Or I could just threaten to take my bike and go home and see if that works
I've been known to do that with threads here!!

Actually, I like to ride my bike once in a while. On of my best camping trips was a 324 mile bike trip from Raleigh NC to Washington DC. It was a supported ride so I didn't have to lug equipment. After sleeping on an inflatable matress with down bedding it was on that trip that I decided I was too old to be sleeping on the ground. that's when I seriously started to consider an RV.

The favorite of my 2 bikes is an old Schwinn Sierra that's about 20 years old. It started out as one of the original trail bilkes but I've converted it to more of a hybrid. I have lots and lots of miles on it. My other bike is a Longbikes Slipstream bent. Nice bike but it's a dawg on hills.

I really am in support of a bike forum - but after running my mouth and getting obnoxious about a culinary thread, I'm hanging a low profile for a while! (whispering... a bike forum would be cool - I would read it)
Old 03-04-2008, 02:37 PM   #20
_

. , .
spokes spoken here...

in aerospace grade 304 stainless and fully brazed with a silver/copper/zinc alloy...

a few bike foldouts.

cheers
2air'

click pic for a larger view...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jubilee_ss1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	879.3 KB
ID:	55535   Click image for larger version

Name:	jubilee_ss2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	55536  

Name:	jubilee_ss3.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	858.3 KB
ID:	55537  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

That bike is a work of art. The front suspension is amazing.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
2air- nice Moulton.

I ride a Merlin hard-tail (titanium) and this is my carbon fiber full suspension:
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #23
_

. , .
thanks guys...

like the 'stream, i can only take credit for keeping it clean.

silver ranger, here are some closer views of the 2 suspension systems...

u r right it really is rolling art.

the front suspension is a "leading link" design with adjustable dampening at the links and a coil spring in the head tube...

old motobike technology applied to a bicycle.

rear suspension is a unified triangle with a rubber half-ball to isolate the rear wheel road vibes from the rider...

similar to old mini coopers and some citroŽn 2cv models, i think.

the seat post is titanium with a tire pump/kit INSIDE it...

the small painted section is ferrari yellow, no kidding.

turns out ferrari has mixed 2-3 different yellows over the years

and when i needed some touch up paint (this bike is 15+ years old) for small nicks,

the paint shop looked at it and knew which formula, then mixed me some!

pretty cool.

cheers
2air'

merlin makes some awesome bikes, i've been close to buying a merlin or moots several times...

i was so close to nabbing a merlin newsboy when they came out, just loved the retro look and ti ride.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jubilee_ss4.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	511.1 KB
ID:	55549   Click image for larger version

Name:	jubilee-ss5.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	607.9 KB
ID:	55550  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #24
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
If they don't go for a subforum, would the mods consider a couple of stickies in the OT area? One for folders, one for transporting, and one for recreational blather, would do the trick, I think.

I too dig small wheels, and while most of my longer rides are on a recumbent, I could actually covet this 1947 Alex Singer.

(Bicycle Quarterly is the only magazine I actually get & read - Mrs R & I share AS Life, a subtle but important distinction)

But much as I might appreciate well executed bikes, my inner tightwad keeps me commuting on more mundane things:
Old 03-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
the front suspension is a "leading link" design with adjustable dampening at the links and a coil spring in the head tube...

old motobike technology applied to a bicycle. 2air

I hope the front coil spring is visible on my JC higgens circa 50's bicycle. The moulton is ok, but faux gas tank with red ruby stones inlayed on the side would make it better

This is one of ten or so that I own and it has become one of those "collector" problems.

This one would rip the whole back bumper off the Airstream!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	old bike 003.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	55563   Click image for larger version

Name:	old bikes 001.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	55565  

Old 03-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #26
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

i was so close to nabbing a merlin newsboy when they came out, just loved the retro look and ti ride.
Nice Moulton! I was at a swap meet last month and a guy had two F frames... A C note took them both, I think. I was tempted, for the FW hubs if nothing else... if they'd been AM's AC's, or FM's, I'd have jumped on it. But I'd come for a fillet brazed bike and that's what came home.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
I too dig small wheels, and while most of my longer rides are on a recumbent, I could actually covet this 1947 Alex Singer.
redSHED,

That is nice. I also own a Bridgestone and remember the handlebar style from some of their models. Now I see it has some history.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:36 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
thanks guys...

like the 'stream, i can only take credit for keeping it clean. ...
2Air,

Wow. That folder is a work of art indeed. I havn't checked out the Angletech, but will do so for sure. I avoided the expensive bikes during the test rides, knowing that I could easy over spend the budget. And I still have work to do on the Minuet. After much reading, and test rides, I bought two Specalized comfort bikes. The bike has also helped with a problem I was having. Walking any distance at all has gotten very uncomfortable, hip pain, but I can ride the bike. Bonus!

'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote