Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Passport America?

I have tried to use the search utility on this site to find a discussion of the merits of belonging to Passport America. I am sure it is somewhere on this site, as Airstreamers are very much in the know. Could someone direct me, or tell me about this discount club.
jmichaelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I find it much easier to search the forum by using google. In google just type "airforums" then your question/issue.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is on this site, but I couldn't tell you exactly where.

Have had PA for years and been very happy with it, using it generally only for overnight stays.

Most PA campgrounds have restrictions on how many nights, frequently on times of year. That is part of getting 50% off the regular rate.

Some of these campgrounds are not places you would want to stay for a week, so keep that in mind. Many, however, are beautiful, full-service campgrounds that use PA largely to accommodate folks passing thru and to keep their sites used.

Our approach has been that once you hook up and close the blinds, you're home. We don't care if it isn't lovely.

PA is a great way to keep costs down.

Spend less, do more.

Maggie
Old 05-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Kind of a mixed bag on Passport America:

On the positive side, the discount is large, generally 50%. Also on the positive side is that the PA network is relatively large.

On the negative side, these discounts are subject to blackouts and other time/date limitations, as the individual park owner sees fit.

In general, you'll find that all discount programs apply to the daily rate, not to the monthly rate. But that's ok. At most places that I'm familiar with, the monthly rate is already discounted more than 50% anyway.

A common question is whether something like PA is more valuable that, say, Good Sam. Tough one. On the one hand, the GS discount is very small, generally 10%. On the positive side, there are no blackout dates, and the network is also pretty large. On balance, then, it really depends on you and your schedule: If you pay attention and really take advantage of PA, then it's certainly worthwhile! But if you don't really work to take advantage of PA, then it's probably more worthwhile to do the Good Sam thing and receive only the tiny discount.

I'm sure others will provide info about other programs, something like Escapees, etc. In each case, evaluate on essentially the same basis: Size of discount; blackouts (if any); size of network.

Lynn
Old 05-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
The main advantage I see with Good Sam is the gasoline/food discounts at Flying J.
Rjpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tampa , Florida
I tried P/A for one year. A lot of the places are less desirable or mobile home parks with empty spaces. I found after traveling the same roads for a few trips west, that I found favorite campgrounds almost as economical, and easier to navigate.
I stayed away from KOA's since they became expensive and had amenities that I didn't need. (Bicycles, tennis courts, volleyball nets. And they favored families, and I just wanted a night's QUIET sleep.) I found the campground guide to be very helpful and gave up on P/A.

Oh, that reminds me. I found P/A parks to be off the beaten path. So if I was driving from Florida to Colorado, there were many hundreds of miles along the interstate with no P/A parks. I probably got my money's worth, but just barely.
Sitting duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Passport America is good for overnight stops while en route to somewhere else, especially because the discount often only applies to the first night, so why stay more than one?

The WBCCI Region 6 rally last month was at a campground that offered both Passport America (50% for one night) and Good Sam (10% each night) discounts. The rally rate was cheaper than either discount, but it left me to wonder, if I stayed at a campground like that in the future but not attending a rally, could I get the Passport America discount the first night, and the Good Sam discount for the rest of the stay? I'll have to ask about that if I go back.

While you're checking discounts, don't forget to ask about AAA and/or AARP discounts. Some campgrounds offer those, too.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
West Dummerston , Vermont
We stayed at Enchanted Trails in Albuquerque a few weeks ago. 2 nights on PA, nights 3&4 with Good Sam. We used PA while traveling across the country, basically for overnight stays. Parks were not bad and we almost paid for the PA cost on that trip. Definitely worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2008 Triton TR186
ricks-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have been PA members for a number of years. It's not perfect, and is sometimes a little difficult to use. We have always kept track of our PA nights and the amount we have saved. We always save at least twice the annual membership fee every year.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote