Old 04-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
What a strange land you live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustlee View Post
It's actually against the law in most of "The Land of The Free" to live in a travel trailer except in a licensed camp ground! In fact it's against the law to live cheaply in general in the USA! There are very few places left that don't have zoning laws! There is a bill in Congress to make it illegal to life full time in an RV Nationwide! In the county I live in there are a lot of vacation homes and the Sheriff has a special squad that checks the nooks and crannies for squatters in said homes. I guess there is enough of a problem with dishonest people or just plain poor people that the taxpayers feel like it's worth paying the cops to snoop. That being said, my ideal home would be a barn with lots of windows and RV hookups that I could pull my trailer into and live there; then have my stuff secure when I'm gone. Sort of like the Texas Airstream places. I suspect that it would be hard to find a place to have a set-up like this and be legal but I would like to start something like a "Trailer Ranch" with a group of people where someone was always around when I was out on the road. I think to do what you are thinking about would require a big enough parcel to hide your camp from prying eyes and have good neighbors that will not steal your stuff. Hopefully you could find that situation not too far from where you live. The best thing would be to have a carport in your own backyard and good neighbors. It might be wise to just wait until you retire before buying a trailer? Or move to a place with a big enough yard to keep a trailer?

Old 04-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #30
Airstreamer in Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
ZB...I just re-read some of the responses...a lot of them pretty negative. My experience has been positive. I like having my AS as a temporary homebase, and love working on my land. So weigh the negatives (many justified) against the positives (many not mentioned). jon
Thank you for your comment. Yes, there are some negatives, as well as positives, as with any choice in life. One just has to weigh them and make the best choice one can make.

So having water and electricity are a must (for me), and a concrete pad to part the Airstream. Perhaps a cover to shield it from the sun. Anything else? How about sewer?

Old 04-25-2016, 02:10 PM   #31
Peapod

1985 31' Excella
Dade City , Florida
There is a wonderful RV Resort near you - Travelers Rest, near Dade City. 40 mins from Tampa, in a beautiful country setting, almost no security concerns. This would be a great spot to visit on weekends and keep your trailer safe when you are not there.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:43 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Yes Monza, I know that. The proposed new Federal law actually scares me and also makes me mad! You can't really argue with companies moving their factories to low wage countries as the goal of a corporation is to make profits but it seems unfair to keep increasing the cost of living when the average incomes keep declining. The cost of housing in my state is criminal in my opinion. I just saw a survey of % of income going to housing in California and it's obscene, 40 to 52 % for most people. I don't expect Trumph to fix it either! I only found out about the "squatter squad" 2 years ago because a friend who lives on 5 acres had his bathtub time interrupted by 3 large guys with guns. They were from the Sheriffs office and told him that they were just making sure he was supposed to be there. I had never thought of the need for such a thing but was aware that sometimes the cops knock on the door at 2 or 4 AM wanting to know if everything is OK because there was a hang up call to 911, so they say. I've heard of the 911 thing from many rural people and thought it sounded like snooping. But I'm well aware that I'm not a "normal" person, the government is here to help me, I should know that, maybe I'll feel safer when I can't live in my Airstream. I think that ZBoater has a good plan and I hate to be negative but I know people who have been vandalized. It would be best if somebody could keep an eye on things but that sort of defeats the privacy thing. I hope the new law about living in RV's never passes. I hope ZBoater can find a suitable place! Maybe buy 10 acres of farmland and lease it to a neighbor to farm? Or start a Xmas tree farm? I just know zoning laws can be trouble though the farther out of towns you go the less likely you will get hassled, maybe.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:08 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
ZBoater...you have a good idea. We have had our get away in the country for over 30 years. We own about 50 ac and sometimes wish it would be 5. It is peaceful and affordable. Started with no electric or water...now have electric...water and septic but rustic and quiet except for the stream and crickets. Sometimes leave the AS sometimes take it home..only 25 miles. When we travel the AS goes.
Maybe some areas frown on the concept...here we are free to enjoy nature our way. Keep working on it...we think it's great in wild and wonderful. Hope you can find your country place. As a bonus neighbors keep an eye out. In the country they know who comes and goes so security is free and weve never had a problem.
Dave
Old 04-26-2016, 04:01 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We use a covered secured storage facility that includes electric power to keep the batteries charged. There are a couple of wash bays with RO water and a dump station. There is onsite personnel living there 24 x 7 with more cameras than a movie studio. However, it is definitely not free at around $185 per month.

We can not have the Airstream even parked in front of the house that is in a HOA neighborhood except during daylight hours when loading or unloading.

So we acquired a lot in the mountains in an over age 55 Airstream only community with only 40 spaces. It is a 3.5 hour drive to get there but we go from 1,990 feet elevation to 6,600 which drops the summer high temperature from triple digits to around 85 with cool nights.

We purchased the lot for around $25,000 from the previous owner and the annual fee of $850 covers the shared property taxes, water, the septic system, 30 amp only electricity and a fairly decent park wide WiFi system. There is a shared community building and tool cribs. It opens the first weekend of May and closes at the end of September for winterization. Each lot has a 10 x 12 storage shed, the ability to put up a screened room on a concrete circle and a concrete patio pad beside the trailer. We put concrete pads down for the tires and hitch jack.

We use this also as a staging area for summer travels to other locations since it takes so long to get out of the valley. We stay one night and can get an early start the next morning on decent roads. It also works for returning to the valley as we can stop for the night and get an early start the next morning so we can unload at home before going to the storage facility.

We would have preferred to have the trailers stored at home, but that would now require a new home to be built on a new lot somewhere without a HOA which means out in the desert where security and fire protection would become problematic today.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:00 AM   #35
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
We have 16 acres up at the lake in central MN.
The AS never goes anywhere, hasn't moved in 12 years except I back it up a couple of times each summer to mow under it. We just use the camper as a base camp. Do some hunting and fishing. Or just get away.
I don't think I would like going to campgrounds much. Packed in there ike sardines - people, barking dogs, noise, all the smokey camp fires that everyone has to have.
I would just as soon stay home and not bother with all that stuff.
Yeah, I have to do the mowing but that's part of the fun.
It's quiet there. You can pee in the bushes if you like. Make your own noise.
We're plugged into power and get water from my rental house next door. Have to haul the sewage to the septic tank 150' away though we usually just use a Porta potty and don't mess with all that.
If you can swing it, owning the land under the camper is a nice way to go.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:36 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"I'm hoping the lot will be large enough that trailer will not be visible from the road. That may help mitigate the issue a bit." That also means that the vandals who are attacking your stuff aren't visible from the road, either.

As others have said, getting a long-term lease in an rv park may be the best option, particularly if it is a gated one.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #37
Airstreamer in Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
It's sad that vandalism plays such a big part in a decision like this.

I've been looking at some RV parks, and for the same money I get a lot less land but it's ready to go (concrete slab, utilities, etc) and its in a relatively more secure place. It gives me less work to maintain but some options are very nice with clubhouses and pools (and the associated monthly fees).

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:50 AM   #38
Airstreamer in Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Ok, so we've narrowed it down to one spot. River Ranch. It's about 2 hours from home. It's about the max I'd like to drive on weekends. They are a popular RV resort and have several lots for sale. Anyone here stay there?
Old 04-30-2016, 02:10 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Hi Zboater and Ultra dog. Can you put up a solar electric carport at either of those parks? Do they have shade you can put your trailer under at any of the spaces? Shade is very nice in the summer.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:46 AM   #40
Airstreamer in Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
River Ranch has spaces that are open and also shaded.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
We have 16 acres up at the lake in central MN.
If you can swing it, owning the land under the camper is a nice way to go.
I love it!

1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote