Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Over the hump

We just passed our 1 year anniversary of AS ownership. In the last year have put over 14 grand miles on her. When does one get over the hump? Meaning, when do you feel that you could take your home away from home anywhere? I think that we have gotten over being gone from home. Our kids are always commenting about how much we are gone and why we don't come there instead of where we want to go. Just wondering what others think of traveling?
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
A big congratulations to you for getting out and going. We have been at it now for seven years and, as of tonight, we have spent 1,239 nights in Lucy and have towed her over 103,000 miles. We are not done yet, and plan to keep this up as long as we can. We have four grown sons who visit our house quite often (we live three houses off the ocean). More often than not, we are not there. We are out in Lucy seeing the USA. As a matter of fact, we are camped in Elkhart, Indiana tonight.

We visit with our boys and their children when the mood strikes us. We always stay in Lucy and not in their house. We hate the idea of throwing kids out of their room for us to sleep there.

This is your time, use it as best suits you.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We only have about 3500 miles on ours... we bought it 4 months ago... but really just started using a lot...

We have brought Grandkritters along.. and have them meet us...

As for a 'hump'...I suppose if you look at your AS in the correct angle, it has a nice hump.. ?

Our kids are starting to realize this is something they have to live with.. and, they come help me work on it because one day it will be theirs... and we can give them hope for themselves and some good memories ...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
"This is your time, use it as best suits you."
At the start I felt a sense of guilt about this since we are approaching our mid 50's My wife/companion of 36 years told me the exact same thing. Should be working was always my thing. Luckily we had our kids right off after marrying so they are grown and gone. After our last one was off to his own family and career, we had a decision to make. Stay home and stagnate or travel like we did when the kids were here, but WAY beyond. I see so many people in our area that buy an "rv" and it sets. Never goes anywhere beyond the "initial" trip or 2.
On our last outing we were close enough to drive and see our oldest grandson play in a baseball tournament. Then we went back and had a steak and baked potato dinner on the grille. A thing that we would do at "home", but out enjoying ourselves.
WBCCI #8578
Old 07-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
I suppose if you look at your AS in the correct angle, it has a nice hump.. ?
Yes she does, and I have over the miles whilst traveling/hooking up/unhooking a routine.
On the road: Conversation with wife while glancing from windscreen/mirrors to her. To the uninitiated one would think that I had some sort of diagnoseable mental disease...
Hooking up: check twice/thrice/quadruple/quintuple/etc...
Unhooking: same as above...
Stops during travel, all of the above...
WBCCI #8578
Old 07-04-2013, 04:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
My wife is the oldest of 7 kids. They grew up in a very small town and are a very tight knit family. Not just siblings but very good friends too. Even after each of the kids got married, almost every weekend we'd all hang out together at her parents' house. This went on for years.

When her parents retired they bought an SOB and hit the road for about 6-8 months. My wife was initially stunned. But when you stop and think about it - it makes a TON of sense! :-)

7 kids and all their boyfriends/girlfriends/spouses/kids.... I bet her parents rarely had 15 minutes of peace in decades :-)

They love RVing and for years now have been traveling around the USA stopping in at every local fair and fest they can, sending pics and stories of their adventures and having a grand old time!

Their story - and the fact that my dad passed when he was 59 - is a big reason why I felt it was important - no, absolutely essential - that we got out Airstream before I hit 50. We LOVE it and the places we can go with it.

As Igor said in Young Frankenstein: "Hump? What hump?" :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote