Old 04-05-2016, 09:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Outside Shoe Storage?

Greetings!

We're about 2 weeks away from taking possession of our 2004 30' Classic. Pretty excited would be an understatement!

We've decided that we'll be taking our shoes off at the door, and either go barefoot or wear slippers/sandals inside the AS. Which means we'll have a couple pairs of shoes (at least) beside the door outside. The parks we'll be staying at don't have concrete pads to park on - they'll be dirt/sand/grass or a combination of the above. We'll probably put down some sort of small area rug/mat by the door, but outside shoes will end up dirty regardless.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ingenious solutions to keep shoes clean(ish) and dry, so that we don't need to bring them inside at night or if it rains. I'd thought about building some sort of wooden shoebox to be tucked just underneath the edge of the AS. I wondered about trying to make something that would act as a support for the aluminum steps, as I hear they might need it.

Suggestions?

Brawny

Old 04-05-2016, 10:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think it's easier to put a good mat just inside the door and take them off and leave them there. If enclosed outside they may mold, or provide housing for some night critter. We usually wear comfortable slip-on sandals outside around the Airstream, leave them outside by the door during the day and bring in on the mat at night.

For really muddy shoes, she has slipped them behind the first and second step and they rest on the mechanism in there.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
We wear Crocs, easy to slip on and off. We have a mat just inside the door and keep a plastic bin just under the switches and throw our shoes in there. Ours holds the Crocs and tennis shoes, 2 pair each.

For your outside mat, get an open weave style mat to let the rain pass through, it will dry faster and won't puddle. You'll also need some type of hold down for it, to keep the wind from blowing it around. I use some large nails through the grommets. It stays flat and there's nothing to trip over.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawny View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has any ingenious solutions to keep shoes clean(ish) and dry, so that we don't need to bring them inside at night or if it rains. I'd thought about building some sort of wooden shoebox to be tucked just underneath the edge of the AS. I wondered about trying to make something that would act as a support for the aluminum steps, as I hear they might need it.
We just put them under the trailer.

We have some inexpensive entry mats, one smaller for just inside the trailer, one larger that goes under the steps. They help somewhat in controlling the mess.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Been there...done that.
I'm going to suggest that with a 30' trailer you're in more trouble than I am!
Bruce

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...es-101885.html
Old 04-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 28' Land Yacht
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
You will figure it out as you live in your spacious trailer.I don't like outside shoes of any kind inside.We have an outside mat then an inside Welcome Aboard mat in our Land Yacht.
Actually more concerned about our dog's feet being clean!
Old 04-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I have seen a black kind of "shoe boat" at Home Depot in the door mat area. It could house the shoes but not cover them. I agree with several posts about shoes indoors- AWFUL. Last spring I went camping and met a group of six people. It was raining and we all went back to my camper after eating out. They all wore their shoes in and it was a mess! Sand everywhere (Florida).
Old 04-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Been there...done that.
I'm going to suggest that with a 30' trailer you're in more trouble than I am!
Bruce

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...es-101885.html
So busted, Bruce! Lol.

I don't like the idea of bringing outdoor shoes indoors, unless they're being put away in a storage location. I guess we'll just make sure the mat extends under the AS a foot or so and put the outdoor shoes on it, and put them away at the end of the day if the weather looks bad. Still looking for some good indoor shoes. Probably crocs, or something similar that are easy on / easy off.

Cheers!
Brawny
Old 06-30-2016, 11:06 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
salem , Oregon
We have a large outdoor mat from Camping World outside the trailer that extends under the stairs. We then put a plastic bin with a hinged lid (think it was meant as a file file box) outside the stairs on the mat. As we are going in the door, we slip off our crocs ( or whatever show you are wearing), close the file box lid, and come in the trailer with no shoes on. When we travel, the box fits under our table in our 27 FB and we also used it in our 25 FB earlier.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Hiking boots, Tevas, Crocs etc. all go into a Plano 68 qt tote that is stored just inside the trailer while under tow and outside beside the steps while in camp. Weatherproof and sturdy enough to sit on for changing boots or whatever. These are great cargo boxes.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I have seen a black kind of "shoe boat" at Home Depot in the door mat area. It could house the shoes but not cover them. I agree with several posts about shoes indoors- AWFUL. Last spring I went camping and met a group of six people. It was raining and we all went back to my camper after eating out. They all wore their shoes in and it was a mess! Sand everywhere (Florida).
We have a hand vac. Works great.

Bruce
Old 07-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Outside shoes kept by steps prior to our missing shoes, we now keep all shoes inside, animal that liked shoes lived a couple of lots away, it left them outside too, making it easy to find