Old 04-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Original Art in Airstreams? Not a Good Idea!

I recently attended a charity auction and purchased this wonderful original oil painting of a Beaver flying over Savary Island. I really liked how the artist ghosted the de Havilland factory and their workers above the airplane. You can feel their pride. It is a real piece of Canadian aviation history.

When previewing it at the auction, I thought it might fit on the wall between the FAN's bedroom and bathroom. After the auction, I picked-up my purchase and excitedly ushered it inside the trailer. It fit perfectly. I thought it would be nice to take this little piece of "home" on my travels, and share it with people I meet along the way.

However, I have since learned that original paintings like his, especially those done in oil, would not tolerate those extreme temperature changes that inflict Airstreams - especially those in transit. The artist suggested I could always make a print from the original, but this would defeat the enjoyment somewhat.

So, I am a bit sad that somewhere down the road, I will probably have to part with this wonderful painting. In the meantime, I am savouring the visual experience that a good original can offer.

I guess the Airsteam could be thought of as another "artistic experience" that is going to win-out on this one or.......the art of living vs. art imitating life?

Old 04-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
What a wonderful painting! As an artist (I am also a full-time teacher and mother) I urge you to hang it in your airstream and enjoy it, watching carefully for any signs of deterioration. Oil painitngs have hung for hundreds of years in unheated, un-airconditioned spaces. It is true that the elements can affect them, but not nearly as much as you might fear. I do some of my best work in and around our airstream, and just today I posted a photo of some in the "view from your airstream door" thread. I have recently begun a series of paintings of airstreams. It was bound to happen-- they are very inspirational.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
You could have the original shot (or scanned) and have a giclee pirnt made. The print would tolerate the extreams of the 'stream and you could hang the original at home in a more controlled environment.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I kind of echo Johnco above; I would take it to a good copy shop and have them make a color photocopy of it on good quality photo paper. Keep the original in your house and put the copy in your camper. You could even have them shrink it a little if it'd make it fit better.

Cool painting by the way. I like DH Beavers. I'd have one if I had the peso's...

Did you ever see "Six Days Seven Nights"? It had Harrison Ford and Ann Hesche (sp?) Indy is a real life pilot and spokesman for the EAA and that is his own Beaver in that movie. It's worth getting just for the plane

see you on the road,
Old 04-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
They are amazingly cool planes, and that painting really captures their spirit.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Definetly cool painting, Ditto on the quality copy idea. That painting is too nice to chance damage in a trailer. My problem is that there are so few flat surfaces in my little Bambi II. It is all curves and angles. Not a lot of extra wall space in a 17 footer (actually only 14 ft.).

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Thanks all, for your reply and suggestions.

I can hang the painting in a house for now - but if I go full-time, I don't know -
guess I could always lend it to someone to enjoy.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
I kind of echo Johnco above; I would take it to a good copy shop and have them make a color photocopy of it on good quality photo paper. Keep the original in your house and put the copy in your camper. You could even have them shrink it a little if it'd make it fit better.

Cool painting by the way. I like DH Beavers. I'd have one if I had the peso's...

Did you ever see "Six Days Seven Nights"? It had Harrison Ford and Ann Hesche (sp?) Indy is a real life pilot and spokesman for the EAA and that is his own Beaver in that movie. It's worth getting just for the plane

see you on the road,
Jim,

I did not see that movie - thanks for the suggestion.

I knew H. Ford had a Beaver. Lucky guy. A few actors have aviation in their blood. Another one that comes to mind is John Travolta, although I think those who are not bon fide airline pilots - but let themselves be photographed in the uniform and cap is kinda dorky.

Cliff Robertson was a good representative of the industry. He was a real aviator. I enjoyed his aviation-related writing.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
FAN,

A great painting, and a great aircraft. Just out of curiosity, are Beavers one of the aircraft you have flown?

I had a chance to fly an Otter once, but wimped out. The owner cheerfully pointed out that it fell within my Single Engine Land rating (and I was current in tail draggers at the time) but I find airplanes that you enter in the back and walk up an aisle to the cockpit intimidating.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post

Another one that comes to mind is John Travolta, although I think those who are not bon fide airline pilots - but let themselves be photographed in the uniform and cap is kinda dorky.

Agreed, but perhaps you get some slack when you own a 707.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Yeah, I'm jealous as heck of Travolta. I used to want a Stearman 450....but after seeing Travolta's plane, I told my wife "Why set my sights low...I want a 707!"

He's actually qualified as "Second in Command" for Quantas and does fly with them from time to time. I know he also caught a lot of flack from some enviro types because he was filming a movie in England and he would commute back and forth from there to his home in FL in his 707. I thought he did it solo some times but could be wrong. That's a lot of bird to just haul yourself. But more power to him. I only wish I had one of those!! They say he owns the type certificate on the 707. I think Australia has some definition for "Second in Command" that doesn't necessarily mean he can't fly as Captain over here, it's just a different rating system over there.

But hey, he's also got a Gulfstream and a Jetranger helo. They said that when he first started acting, he put all his money into flying lessons and getting planes. That's cool in my book!

I've actually designed a plane that's similar to a Helio Courier that I plan to build. Beavers are cool, but I really like Helio's. But hey, they're all good
Old 04-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
FAN,

A great painting, and a great aircraft. Just out of curiosity, are Beavers one of the aircraft you have flown?

I had a chance to fly an Otter once, but wimped out. The owner cheerfully pointed out that it fell within my Single Engine Land rating (and I was current in tail draggers at the time) but I find airplanes that you enter in the back and walk up an aisle to the cockpit intimidating.
Nuvite, I am not a pilot, but I write for an aviation rag. How did I score that? Long story (no pun intended) but I know many pilots who help me with any technical stuff. I really love the vintage birds, civilian and military.

An Otter seems enormous to me! I can understand that "wimping out."
Good call. As they say, there are bold pilots and there are old pilots, but there are no........you know the rest!

Happy flying.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #13
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
I'd love to see those paintings as you create them, Skatiero.