Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2019, 03:42 PM   #41
Happy Camper

2018 30' Classic
Flat Rock , North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to nipperguy
Have had 3 Airstreams. The first a vintage rear bed, then a 27FB now Classic 30 RB. We loved the FB for the rear views but hated having to constantly break down the dinette for evening TV. The Classic gives us the dedicated lounge and dinette ( like the 28 and 30), which is important to us. As others have said, this is a personal preference. Spend time in them all and choose the one that works best for you.
nipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:00 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
What ever floats your boat.! I spend my time outside under the awning. IMHO the Airstream’s designers aren’t campers. The coffin size showers don’t take into consideration modern well fed public. I’m clinically obese and cannot fit into any of the new campers. Hence I will stick to the 2000 era campers.😳😬
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:42 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Currently Looking...
Tacoma , WA
Thanks everyone!

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to post a reply to my question. Your feedback was great. It is a huge help to hear that the door placement can make a difference depending on the camp ground.

I think the size of the living space, with the seperate couch and dinette will win the toss over the placement of the bedroom for us. Maybe I can get Airstream to flip the floorplan for me ;-)

It's also interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on the twins...although hubby isn't a fan. He did say that second twin would be great for dumping clothes on as it won't get used. lol Think we better stick to the Queen!

Thanks again!

Amy
AmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:36 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
27FB here. The majority of the places we like to camp (state parks, CoE, that sort of thing) have the better view (or at least more privacy) toward the rear. We are more likely to leave the curtains closed in the bedroom, no matter what the view is. Gave up the queen for the outside storage. We've put the table down to have a huge lounge area since we rarely eat at a table even at home, and like to eat outside when we can.
SnooMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:48 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0222.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	349266 i dont know if anyone is interested but the dinette felt so big when sitting there. I had this table made of local maple. There are two door hinges and a second piece is easily attached to make a full table or when in bed mode. Much more comfortable sitting here without that big table but still a place to put coffee etc.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2002 25' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
La Quinta, N Barrington , CA & IL
We enjoy the view out of the rear window more than looking at the rear of our tow vehicle. Have had great back in-sites.
Banker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Standish , California
Definitely front bed, who wants to look at the back of their tow vehicle when relaxing or eating in the dining area?
StephiesNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:34 PM   #48
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Again, what works for you is the only thing that matters, though we love our 27FB. Yosemite falls from our dinette.

Name:	IMG_3958.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	634.9 KB
ID:	349384

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Hammond , Louisiana
I have had both. I prefer the front bed. Most campground have beautiful rear views. Wasted on bedrooms.
lbillingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #50
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

By far the bigger issue is to get the floorpan that works best for *you*. The only way to do that is to spend some time (like a day or days) at a dealer who has inventory. Sit in this one. Sit in that one. See how this or that works for *you*. Is the seating comfortable after 30 minutes? (it will rain sometimes ...). Can you sit here or there at the dinette and actually eat? Is there enough room in the kitchen? Does the storage make sense? Space for pets? Space for kids? Space for guests? .... on and on.

There is no one right answer to any of this. You will be camping with your "crew" and we will be here with ours. Fitting your crew in is what matters to you.

We camp a lot with the shades up and the windows wide open (and the fan on). I guess that makes us weird ( who would have guessed that ... ). Like others, the front door comes in handy on our RB. That said, front / rear was very far down on our list of what mattered. It wasn't last, but pretty darn close.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
We love our FB 27 and the concept of better viewing from the seating area is a good one.

The door location is sub-optimal for many camp sites and when it raining as it is right at the edge of the awning.

Two things I would change about the layout if I bought new, which I won't, are:

1) I would much rather have twins then the queen. Better storage and use of space.

and

2) I would trade the dinette for two recliners. Nine nights out of 10 its just my wife and I and after a month or two on the road or after an active day - I need a recliner.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Issaquah , Washington
F orcR bedroom

I had both and I like the front BR better. We really only open the Ocean Air windows in the bedroom or maybe slightly open the front sliding curtains. It seems we are backing into our spots a lot more than getting pull throughs.....
ElBrillante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #53
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB View Post
We are considering either a 27' or 28' International Serenity or Flying Cloud. Just me & Hubby (and kitty) but we are in a quandary as to which floor plan is best. Front or rear bedroom? We've heard some campsites you back into the 'view" which is why I am thinking FB. I would really appreciate any pros &/or cons from the field. Thanks!
We opted for the FB on our 2018 27' Flying Cloud. We're happy with it for the reason you mentioned- when we're in the settee we have a nice view & privacy. When we're in the bedroom, the shades are generally closed, so it doesn't matter . . .
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:19 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Roanoke , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Airstream View Post
I like sleeping closer to our tow vehicle (easier to see and hear if someone is prowling it).
I agree! It’s hard to break into a vehicle when the owner is sleeping 2 feet from it.
Rovin Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
we have a 23FB. views from the side while at the dinette and from the bed in the correct site, very difficult AND I do try to choose the site based on view/privacy. Since the 23 is so small, we watch TV and relax, read in bed and it aint bad. Here in the western states our campsites and RV parks are more open and the ones I choose have views, tough to find a front view as I do enjoy an ocean view while falling asleep. I have my favorite sites and the 23 is small enough to "position" correctly.
After many nights in the 23FB, I've decided our next AS will be a Globetrotter 27FB, sitting area is large enough to be usable, I'll have options. Unfortunately you won't figure out what works for you at the dealership or from renting three times. you'll need real world experience, but don't sweat it, you can change your mind in a year or two.ENJOY
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-Depoe bay4.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	349800   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9430.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	349801  

Name:	WP_20190711_19_31_34_Pro.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	349802  
Dick tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:00 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Spend maximum amount of time outside... front / back bedrooms of reduced consequence to overall “ picture “
Jozstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Prescott Valley , Arizona
Experience will tell you.

If this is your first RV, CONGRATULATIONS! You are starting out with the best. I have used: a pop-up pickup bed camper; a 30’ older motor home; a 29’ 5th wheel; a 16’ hard side, crank-up A-frame trailer; and my 2003 25’ (it is actually 26’ 3”) Airstream Safari. Once you have some experience you will know what works for you. I like a rear bedroom. Why? I like a front door. I don’t like people having to walk by the bedroom. If I have overnight guest(s) I can close my accordion door when I go to bed and sneak to the bathroom without disturbing my guests. When visitors enter my trailer they see a table in front of them with a couch to the right and the dinette to the left, not a bathroom door or a wall. If the bedroom is in the back, when you back into a site the bedroom is in the campsite and not out by the camp road. My pop-up camper taught me that people are often coming and going in a campground. Once, in Joshua Tree NP I slept not a wink because people of questionable intellect and manners drove around and around (bumper to bumper) ALL NIGHT LONG! One person that answered this thread said they liked being able to hear if someone is messing with their tow vehicle. I’ve had things stolen from campsites and it makes me angry but I’d rather sleep so soundly that I hear nothing. If I wake up to a problem, I will be better able to deal with it if I have had peaceful sleep. Good Luck! Stay Safe! Enjoy!
Patricia720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:01 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

the plains , Virginia
We have a 25 ft FB 2007 Safari SE and the viewing capability from the dinette is nice. We were in back-in sights in CO backed right up to the Colorado River and Arkansas River no more than 10 ft behind the trailer. Sitting at the dinette with that view through wrap around windows is nice.
jdcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:40 AM   #59
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Coyote , New Mexico
Never having owned a TT (not for long) the concept of rear versus front arrangement is interesting. I sense that having your TV close is important in some locations whereas parking direction is an issue in other locations. Most answering here emphasize that decision is more personal then anything and I now understand that. Thanks!
Maxroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Flagstaff , Arizona
This looks so cool, what specific campground is this? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Again, what works for you is the only thing that matters, though we love our 27FB. Yosemite falls from our dinette.
Attachment 349384
Sol_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote