Old 11-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #15
2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
IIRC, slide out trailers were built from about 2000 to 2009, and were built in 34' and 30' Classics, and there were also some 28' FC slides.
A 28FC slide?? Man, that would be a rare bird! Never knew they built one. We have a 27FB, but my wife likes the 28 rear bed layout, with the separate dinette, so if we ran across a 28 slide, she'd be all over it!

My guess is AS probably used standard hardware for their slides - the same as any other RV builder. Certainly would add weight. If we had one, I'd probably have to kiss my Tundra g'bye and get a 3/4 ton of some sort. And nowadays, most slides have their own mini-awnings that deploy with the slide and cover the top to get around that problem of bringing rain water inside. Older slides would be pretty easy to retrofit with these awnings.

Like the tortoise, travelin' slow with the house on our back
2012 FC27FB "Ted Zeppelin"
2010 Tundra Crewmax Platinum "Silver Rhino"
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yes, they're heavy. Ours is 11,500 GVW, about 10K as we travel with it. However, I don't know what an '08 34' non slide weighs? Ours does have an awning over the slide, as I believe all Airstream slide outs do. The tongue weight on ours is 1,150 on a Sherline scale, and puts a nice curve in 1200lb Reese bars.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #17
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
As usual, many opinions available here, particularly from those without direct knowledge from ownership, so I'll add my bias as a long time owner with almost 30,000 miles of slide travel under the belt. Bottom line - wouldn't trade or sell ours until I retire from the road or crush it inadvertently.

The slide out moves ~21" so it adds about 7 square feet of exposed floor and does not hinder coach use when retracted. The added floor space is necessary for us as we have two dogs over 150 pounds each and they sleep on the floor. The visual feeling of added space is marked.

If you adhere to the "trailer level and stanchon's down" rule before deploying the slide you will prevent any issues with the slide operation. The factory warns of frame twist and the slide binding otherwise. We have never had a problem with ours including leak complaints. However, that said, I clean the gasket and use 303 protectant every six months. Ours has an awning and I have only proactively wiped water from the top before retraction once when we scrambled to avoid a tornado in a torrential down pour. I got more wet than the trailer flooring might have, but it seemed prudent at the time.

The frame is much stouter than a non-slide so we have almost 1,300 pounds of additional carrying capacity that I can't image filling. Our 28' weighs in at 6,750 dry and fluids+propane can add 560 which leaves 1,290 to reach the max of 8,600 lbs.

The added tongue weight, our measures 980, is not a problem with my 2500 HD Ram and makes the trailer quite stable at highway speeds when hitched correctly. Trucks passing at 70 plus cause the slightest wiggle of all the trailers I've ever towed and makes it a real pleasure in cross winds.

I don't consider there to be any negatives versus non-slides once you remember everything else is basically the same (basic systems and manufacturers). We have experienced issues with the refrigerator, microwave, tank sensors, etc., along with every other Airstream owner.

I can't quantify fuel consumption differences (it's to small) nor increased tire wear/brake/etc., costs versus another similar length trailer.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #18
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
I errored, the additional floor is closer to 14 square feet. On another note, the 28 model is actually a 29' trailer (28' 11") so the total available floor space increase in the living area is a significant percentage.

SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote