Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
One step closer, need transactional advice

One step closer to getting my AS.

I put an ad on Craigslist to sell one of my SOB's. In an amazing 2 days, I have a guy coming up from Florida to do a cash deal with me on Saturday. I did put what I thought was an attractive price on it (priced to sell!).

Of course, I had a BUNCH of scammers texting me. One was from a supposedly very dedicated Marine buying travel trailers on behalf of Uncle Sam.
The only bonifide customers were those that phoned me to inquire about my ad. The texts and emails were all bogus people.

So here's my question. My plan is to review the trailer with him, he'll give me the money and I give him a bill of sale and sign the back of the title. He has his own temp tag.

Is there anything else I should do? I did get one of those pens that they use in stores to check for counterfit money, but it may be awkward to actually check that many bills in front of him.
wncrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Sounds like you have things under control.
As far as the bills go, check them! You can't be too careful and it won't take that long to check the bills.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
I would not be offended if you checked that many bills in front me considering the transaction. I would tell him in advance that you will be doing this.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Check maybe a dozen bills at random. I have gotten bogus bills from banks before, so even if you do get one or two, it still doesn't mean he's not legit. If you do find one, check them all, though.
Also, if your state requires a notarized title, you should find one that will notarize your transaction when your buyer gets there.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Craigslist? Don't deal in cash at a remote location. Don't take a Cashiers Check. A bank lobby is a good place to deal and they won't mind.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncrasher View Post
One step closer to getting my AS.

I put an ad on Craigslist to sell one of my SOB's. In an amazing 2 days, I have a guy coming up from Florida to do a cash deal with me on Saturday. I did put what I thought was an attractive price on it (priced to sell!).

Of course, I had a BUNCH of scammers texting me. One was from a supposedly very dedicated Marine buying travel trailers on behalf of Uncle Sam.
The only bonifide customers were those that phoned me to inquire about my ad. The texts and emails were all bogus people.

So here's my question. My plan is to review the trailer with him, he'll give me the money and I give him a bill of sale and sign the back of the title. He has his own temp tag.

Is there anything else I should do? I did get one of those pens that they use in stores to check for counterfit money, but it may be awkward to actually check that many bills in front of him.
When I sold my car, the buyer and I went to my local bank and had the teller count out the cash and deposit it. That way, I knew it was good and the buyer also felt a bit safer trading the cash in a bank environment. Also, a release of liability form might not be a bad idea. Most DMVs have them online.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Do not fill out anything on the title before the transaction date. Then if the deal collapses, you do not have to go get the title reissued because the information of the buyer would not be correct.

Go to a bank for the transaction. They can verify the bills and usually have a notary on site. Only after the cash is verified, do you fill out the title.

You need a disclaimer that the buyer is buying as is where is and assumes all risks associated with the unit. His signature must also be notarized on this form along with yours. Make a copy for both you and the buyer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote