Old 02-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #71
Rivet Master

Smile

[QUOTE=Lily&Me;1750244]You are only as old as you feel....as long as body and mind don't fail me, I'm going to go til I can't go no more.

Such a privilege to be able to do this. I am grateful for it every day.

Maggie, the enclosed quote is on target! Seize the day....every day!

Old 02-16-2016, 12:05 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Maggie:

I have a slightly modified philosophy for older guys like me . . . you're only as old as the women you feel.
Cute.

Maggie

Old 02-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #73
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Reading through these posts... I am feeling much younger........

There are Fourth of July gatherings out West that have "Cow Paddie Tosses". Don't see that in going in New York City........
Philmont Scout Ranch, Cimarron, New Mexico.

Independence Day B-B-Q featuring Buffalo Chip Throwing contest (they have their own herd). Pretty cool. And you won't see that event in many places at all, even in the west.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:03 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
This is the most wonderful thread. Yes, we like many have our health problems, but when you just "go for it" you forget your problems and have fun. Talking about buffalo chips makes me think of the kids in the west out gathering them for the fire. Makes me think of the fact that people domesticated animals some 5000 years ago and we still do not know what to do with the "chips".

I say let us "old farts" have fun and keep pulling our trailers into the fun.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:18 AM   #75
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Life.....

George Carlins take on getting 'old'....

"The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends.

I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time.

What do you get at the end of it?

A death.

What's that, a bonus?

I think the life cycle is all backwards
You should die first; get it out of the way.

Then you live in an old age home.

You get kicked out when you're too young, you get a gold watch,
you go to work.

You work forty years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement.

You drink alcohol, you party, you get ready for high school.

You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities, you become a little baby, you go back into the womb, You spend your last nine months floating...

Then you finish off as an orgasm.

I rest my case"

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:53 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
George Carlins take on getting 'old'....

"The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends.

I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time.

What do you get at the end of it?

A death.

What's that, a bonus?

I think the life cycle is all backwards
You should die first; get it out of the way.

Then you live in an old age home.

You get kicked out when you're too young, you get a gold watch,
you go to work.

You work forty years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement.

You drink alcohol, you party, you get ready for high school.

You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities, you become a little baby, you go back into the womb, You spend your last nine months floating...

Then you finish off as an orgasm.

I rest my case"

Bob
Yeah, I could so do this, especially going out with a BANG! I'm up for it.

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:45 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Women can never be trusted?!! Well this one can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Reading through these posts... I am feeling much younger.

I thought I was the oldest on this thread. Apparently not. Or someone is not telling the truth. Women can never be trusted.
Well I may be a decade or so younger, but THIS woman is doggoned proud of every one of her 55.5 years dammit! I'd do all the candles on my birthday cakes if it wasn't a hazard or set off smoke alarms. You can trust me dude, I'm the girl fighting off the old lady who is taking over my body without my permission.

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:04 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Yep... I am fighting off the same old lady taking over my body, but with her permission. Must be that Tee Shirt Lady ad getting to me.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:42 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I'm also fighting off an old lady trying to take over my body----she's my wife, and she's winning!
Old 02-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Interesting thread - different story, in fact I might just write a book. Met my bride in high school, 50 years ago, married for 48, which makes us 68. We both agree we could not have been luckier to find each other. Our parents did not agree, but to their credit signed the papers for me, in the military, to get married. She followed me, except for a short tour while I was in the USAF, in fact we were married in a small base chapel in Mississippi and we are from New York. 50th High School reunion this June.

We have camped in some form for 45 years, tents, Canoe Camping near the artic circle, to luxury motorhomes and three Airstreams, including our present. Two wonderful kids, no grandkids with none expected. Our kids do not camp, loved it when we did, talk about it all the time, but have zero time due to their careers - too bad.

My wife and I have had the opportunity to grow together and our interests meld as one most often. Prior to retirement two years ago I became more and more interested in dogs, dog behavior and dog rehabilitation. My good friends were and are K9 Handlers. So, I took the type A personality and got into it. Now a professional rehabilitation person with dogs - we take abused, neglected and dog fighting or bait dogs and help them come around to an adoptable and family acceptable state. In three years we have only failed three times and those dogs are with us in our kennels, we've successfully re-homed over 1,200 dogs in two years. I also train on the side and have two Therapy Dogs whom we visit Hospice and Nursing homes three days a week with. I trained both and as a team we are certified with the dogs. We travel and camp in our AS about 5 months a year and I volunteer where ever we go in some capacity - as dog trainer, dog walker at rescues or this summer as a tour guide and grass cutter at an Historical Fish Hatchery.

I think as long as one has the mental capacity to move forward one should make every effort. I have three breaks in my back and three herniated discs, an incurable lung disease, but as one of my doctors said, "pain is natures way of telling you that you are alive". So we walk four miles a day, then I "go to work" with the dogs or to Hospice or helping someone with a "dog issue", the money I charge which is a lot is signed over to our dog Rescue.

Life is good, we are closer as a couple than we were 50 years ago, not the same, but closer. Many younger couples ask us how 48 years; we work at respecting each other first and foremost every day.

"I want to be running when the sand runs out".

My Best to you all - I wish everyone on this thread and on the forums the best of health and the happiest of times, hope to see you all on the road.

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Well said, Bud! My congratulations to you and your bride for the longevity of your marriage. My thanks to you for all you do to benefit others. I would love to meet you both one day....you seem to be really good, geniuine folks. God bless you. Evelyn.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:36 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
The way I figure it, and thats all that matters, I would rather go out somewhere in the mountains after catching fish as I was on my way back to the campground. This sounds so much better to me than sitting around contemplating all of my ailments. Why did we work so hard all these years if we are not going to enjoy it and one of the great advantages of hitting the road, you meet very like minded people. Best of luck to all of you and maybe our paths will cross.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
I bought my Airstream to get away from Old People.

- They inhabit the homes in town and the city.

- They are dangerous at Costco with a grocery cart full of laxatives and stuff I do not know what it is for.

- At the gasoline pump they fumble around looking for the credit card and forgot that today the vehicle has the gas cap on the "opposite side".

- They squeeze all the fresh fruit, smell the melons and even open a package of grapes to sample and sure they are sweet and fresh. Maybe two grapes and then take an unopened package.

- They miss a belt loop often. Sometimes even without a belt, so one finger is holding up their pants and the other looking for spare change in their other pocket.

So there folks. Now you have it.

One day of MY Life on the Airforum. The rest of you seem to be normal.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #84
Rivet Master

I think I saw you at Costco's. Weren't you the one holding up your pants in the check out lane...munching on grapes and melons? Why were you trying to pay for your laxatives and stool softeners with your Medicare card? It does not work for that! You have to give 'em a credit card or $$$.