Old 02-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
PammieSue... you are so fortunate.

I met my... first wife... while working in Cheyenne and were married while at the University of Wyoming. She loved camping and was an Anthropology/Archaeology major... from experiences taking her arrowhead and fossil hunting on Ranches in Wyoming and Nebraska.

That changed AFTER we were married. After having two daughters who went camping with us every Summer until High School, I was the one vote for and three against camping. Their idea of getting out to camp was a hotel and beach in Georgia, Florida or Texas... Plus, I liked to have a dog, a fishing rod and some family time in the Rockies. Too... uncomfortable and borrrrrring.....

She found an Office Guy and I wished her good luck and a hearty farewell. But it was the loss of two daughters that was the most disappointing part.

Marrying young has its risks. I am thrifty and can entertain myself. A loose cent on the pavement is a prize. A quarter, a windfall. Just bad habits to some. A dollar bill stuck in a bush downwind of the Walmart parking lot... opportunity.

I now have OUR two Blue Heelers, fishing and fly rods, a tent, a trailer and a wife who is my best friend, advisor and has a good eye for finding stuff. This is why I say PammieSue is so fortunate. She has it all.

My Nancy... was born a camper and explorer. She could not find that one soul who shared similar interests, like myself. I can say "let's hook up the trailer tomorrow morning"... and we are loaded and leave in the morning. Sometimes we must find that special person, when you least expect it possible.

Those of you who have young or grown children who still share the values from their youth... let us know. Sometimes some of us get a second chance. I did. I am much happier and keep that positive attitude... after 24 years and just getting started.

Now, why would I bring something like this up on a public Forum? Because others have had similar things to darken their lives. A loss of a spouse. A divorce or two. An illness to overcome. But do not give up hope. Make the best of a bad situation. I did not and was fortunate to settle for exactly the kind a person I wanted to be a partner for life... Catch that next Adventure when possible. Keep doing what you like to do. Happiness is something shared between two and not needing others to supplement that spark in your life.

Be a YOUNG old independent person. Make sure one of you can... cook.
I married mistakenly as well. He hiked, backpacked, camped, and jumped out of perfectly good airplanes. He broke as soon as we moved in together. I made the plans, reserved the sites, packed the truck and kids, and dragged him kicking and screaming to every campout we ever took. I became a Scout Leader for Girls, and Boys, just so I could camp some more. Eventually I left him. My love now enjoys all the outdoors and active stuff I do. AND he cooks and cleans. I now understand the meaning of the word cherish. Life really is GOOD. Hey, are we twins or something? We sure have a lot in common.

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #58
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by herkvet View Post
............Most of my co-workers/employees have a peripheral relationship with the outdoors, of any sort. Most are very "connected" to their electronics et al. Their young children have little to no outdoor experiences.........
Maybe they're not familiar with the Oh-In, Oh Eff Eff button on their devices. It'a a normal feature on most things that have an electrical connection.

Maybe they just need a little ed-u-macation in such matters.

Tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:11 PM   #59
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
When doing youth ministry and were on Retreat we would collect the cell batteries... And return on the way home. They actually made real friends, not synthetic ones. The result has been a part of the Church growing from a of 800 then 1200 and now over 6,000!!! And many of the youth, now parents, thankful they had the experiences...are bringing their kids up to love the eternal things, while enjoying the things which pass.

Camping is a bit of both.. An experience which can be solo and/or shared. The thing is, we (ok, maybe only me), yearn for the eternal because of the commitment and stability which can provide the groundedness to trust, then to reach out beyond ourselves...

Nah, it is all about sunsets, wine and sunrises....������
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
CWF... when good people decide to do something, good things happen.

I will try to find a local youth who has not have the opportunity to trailer or tent camp in Castle Rock and take him along for Wyoming... Just have to figure out where to find this pre teen guy...
Old 02-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #61
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
I will try to find a local youth who has not have the opportunity to trailer or tent camp in Castle Rock and take him along for Wyoming... Just have to figure out where to find this pre teen guy...
We're not going to be hearing about you on the evening news for violation of the Mann Act, are we?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
This young man will learn to get dirty, sweaty and realize that there IS an alternative to a cell phone... which will not be part of the long list of items needed when hiking.

There is nothing to open one's eyes that another world exists, requiring a shovel as your restroom toilet lever... and a dog IS your best friend.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:03 PM   #63
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
There is nothing to open one's eyes that another world exists, requiring a shovel as your restroom toilet lever... and a dog IS your best friend.
I remember those days, though not necessarily fondly. Building four miles of five-strand barbed-wire fence one weekend in August in southwest Oklahoma was not fun.

But I have to admit that I learned one thing from the experienceó a post-hole digger makes for a much neater pit latrine than does a shovel.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
CWF... when good people decide to do something, good things happen.

You know, Ray....if you're serious about that, might contact some church pastors, community outreach centers, whatever you have there, for youth groups that would have kids that might just be interested in something like this.

They will know the kids, might send one or two with a staff member.

It could be a great opportunity for kids, and for you to share your knowledge.

Maggie
Old 02-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Maggie... thank you. I will take your advice... and you are a referral.

I was taken to Blackwell, Oklahoma in 1965 to dig Selenite Sand Crystals in the Salt Flats. An Old Young Couple took me along. They slept in the motel room with other Rock Club members... and I slept in the back of the pickup truck with a shell.

I still remember that trip. I remember digging those selenite crystal clusters and the salt water seeping into the expanding hole I was working.

Gave all the crystals to everyone who thought they were... neat. Have none left today, but the memory of those kind generous people, have remained my entire life.

I will never be an Old Airstream traveler. Just a bit slower over time.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:43 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I grew up on a ranch in western SD. I also built and fixed a lot of fence. We had about 25 miles of it to handle. I am amused when people worrry about a latrine in the west. We had 600 hd. of cattle, 300 chickens, 150 hogs and 4 of us guys. All the "by product" just fell on the ground and disappeared. We never thought anything of it. In Utah I would guess human waste would last about 2 days before there was no trace.

Well on to the subject of "wide open spaces" and us old and the young. It seems to me being there is very good for all of us.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:26 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Reading through these posts... I am feeling much younger.

I thought I was the oldest on this thread. Apparently not. Or someone is not telling the truth. Women can never be trusted.

larryglarson and I know what a "post hole digger" looks like. I have two in my garage in Colorado and they do work. Have tried to give one away, but everyone on my street knows what they are used. I had some demonstration pegs, about 10 feet apart in my back yard for someone to practice using it.

There are Fourth of July gatherings out West that have "Cow Paddie Tosses". Don't see that in going in New York City.

Leadville, Colorado has an "Outhouse Race" down main street. Don't see that in Princeton, Iowa.

They have "Mutton Busting" in the Summers at Fort Robinson, Nebraska. You will not see that in San Clemente, California.

They have "Ostrich Racing" at the Castle Rock, Colorado Fairgrounds... now that you might just want to see. Riders are needed...

We that are beyond two score... may think we have seen it all, but then something comes around that astonishes all!
Old 02-16-2016, 08:34 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You are only as old as you feel....as long as body and mind don't fail me, I'm going to go til I can't go no more.

Such a privilege to be able to do this. I am grateful for it every day.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2016, 08:42 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Reading through these posts... I am feeling much younger.

I thought I was the oldest on this thread. Apparently not. Or someone is not telling the truth.

Based on some of your musings Ray, not even close....

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
You are only as old as you feel....as long as body and mind don't fail me, I'm going to go til I can't go no more. . .
Maggie:

I have a slightly modified philosophy for older guys like me . . . you're only as old as the women you feel.

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote