Old 02-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
I have two thoughts to add.

One is how sad it is that when I tell so many people that we are vacationing in Yellowstone this year, that they say they have never been but always want to go.

Please just go. Because it is amazing.

Second thought relates to long term planning. I will likely work full time for about another 15years.

So what is my job, right now? My job is to be ready for retirement.

What does that mean?

Grade school, high school, and college are designed to prepare you with the skills, knowledge, and experiences needed to be ready to enter the workforce and be a contributing member of society.

Shouldn't we all take 15 years or so to work on the skills, knowledge, and experiences to take full advantage of what we want to do in retirement?

I say yes. That on a personal level that is my job for the next 15 years.

So I created some goals, and areas of knowledge that I feel would make me able to do what I want to enjoy in retirement in a more fulfilling way.

Have a broad topic for each year. This year it is weather and geothermal knowledge. (Since we're going to Yellowstone, might as well start there.)

Others are Civil War history, Lewis and Clark, Native culture, Alaska, Canada, and subjects like photography, trailer repairs and upkeep, cast iron cooking, wildlife, how to fish, you get the idea.

Since we are pretty much empty nesters now this seems very much like a way to keep doing and experiencing new things, and a way to really appreciate what we will get to see and do when we travel more extensively in retirement.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:00 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Ray, as always...I enjoy your threads. I have not decided if I am OLD YOUNG OR YOUNG OLD.......I am young...lying in bed in the morning...making my pseudo plans. Then, I get out of bed...my joints creak, moan, ache...I take a few steps...slower than I think i'm moving...then the muscles ache...and I try to remember which of those plans I can physically manage. As I creak down the stairs and let the little dogs out, then, to the kitchen and push a button for my morning cup of Joe...by this time...I realize those plans won't work out today...maybe tomorrow.....
Now what was I saying? I forget! Now, what were you saying, Ray?

General McArthur said that "Soldiers never die, they just fade away". You can apply that to good Americans, as yourself. I post that paragraph for you... ColoradoLady.

"I am closing my 52 years of military service. When I joined the Army, even before the turn of the century, it was the fulfillment of all of my boyish hopes and dreams. The world has turned over many times since I took the oath on the plain at West Point, and the hopes and dreams have long since vanished, but I still remember the refrain of one of the most popular barrack ballads of that day which proclaimed most proudly that "old soldiers never die; they just fade away."

Old 02-13-2016, 10:22 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
I had to look up the Boulder Canyon Project Act, Public No. 642-70th Congress, H. R. 5773- December 21, 1928. If I look hard enough, I may even have that House of Representatives law in my library of Department of the Interior volumes I use for reference.

Even Congress was using Black Canyon or Boulder Canyon a bit loosely. Boulder Canyon Act or a Hoover Dam... About 16,000 men and women at one time or another worked on the project that required 3,500 at one time. Ninety six died, 5,000 men and families settled in this part of the Mohave Desert. By 1935 the dam was finished.

It was my wife's mother' father's brother who came to Nevada in 1931 to work on the dam. He eventually stayed and was employed AT the dam, retired and resided in Boulder City, NV. His name was Uncle Oscar Latza and died in 2000 at the age of 98 YOUNG Old years.

It was because of Oscar Latza that my wife and I stopped to find his name at the Hotel and Museum in Downtown Boulder City. We could not find his name at the museum, to discover, later, he had been alive at the time we were looking for him. We never forgot the town in the desert and decided that Boulder City was small enough and shared our conservative American Heritage and values to come back some day and set anchor.

The Colorado Lady and the Colorado River are the souls flowing out of the Rocky Mountains, giving life to the deserts downstream from where we live today.

Now you know the rest of OUR story of why we found Boulder City, NV so appealing. It was meant to be and Uncle Oscar never was able to tell us himself.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:53 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois

Now you know the rest of OUR story of why we found Boulder City, NV so appealing. It was meant to be and Uncle Oscar never was able to tell us himself.

Kind of like me and New Orleans, also Southern Mississippi.

There is something about knowing family history of certain areas that tethers you to them. They become yours.

As for serious boondocking, I am following Ray into the wilds again this summer.

Maggie
Old 02-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I am 73 and have been Airstreaming for 5 years, I think doing it is why you guys can write post like this, it make us happy and a little crazy. When I go I forget the wonderful years of camping with my family, and enjoy to wonderful years traveling in our Airstream. I was to an Airtream gathering yesterday, and the ones brave enough to get out and go were such fun people, I think thes silly silver trailers make our retirement fulfilling.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #48

Mount Juliet , Tennessee
I love it!
Old 02-14-2016, 10:31 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Boondocking Airstreamers never die, they just fade away into the sunset.

an Anonymous Airstream Boondocker
Old 02-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Awesome! We too are "old" at 59 and happy to be so! (Beats 6 ft under). We plan on early retirement in Aug and we will grow older in our AS at any of a zillion places in N America to do so. Too bad kiddo, mom and pops are enjoying your inheritance!
Old 02-14-2016, 10:56 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
mpsgolf... too humid in O'Fallon to play golf.

Take that 28 footer on the road west. Leave the clubs at home and break in a second hand fly rod. It will improve your patience, will be able to hit a target within 25 feet and might even catch something other than a flu virus.

Narrow down the Zillion Places to two or three places a year. The Ozarks are some wonderful beginner mountains and roads. Try a dusting of Western Kansas for adjusting to elevation, a dash of Colorado Springs and catch a beef steak in Wyoming for August.

August... hmmm. There is a waiting list, but standing in line and watching are not the same. We need some youngsters, as yourself, to torment with old stories and help gathering firewood and carrying petrified wood out of DuBois, Wyoming.

Look at that smiling face holding a gold pan near FairPlay, Colorado. Even though there is more gold in my mouth... finding a few flakes in a four foot hole will make anyone smile.. and sore.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
I had a wonderful experience at the Tucson Rock Show a week ago. I wanted to mention three of them, but only recall one.

We always look forward to these Rock Shows, which are more cut diamonds to yard decor and everything in between. Something for everyone kind of place. Tucson in February can be absolutely wonderful... or not. Just depends.

This year we stopped by a booth of an woman and daughter who design and make durable "kid goat leather goods". The leather is tight pored so is weather resistant and durable. We tried a purse (my wife, not me) and some pouches several years ago, that I could attach to my belt when picking up metal detector finds in places with no zip code.

It had been two years and rediscovered this booth. It looked like an outfitter's shop for "Raiders of the Lost Ark". This mother and daughter team put together such a variety of leather goods... we stopped to visit. She remembered us and did not ask us to leave... the booth. A good sign.

The carrying bags and back packs of tanned goat skin and double stitching, buckles and lined interiors were something we have never encountered... anywhere. We had to have one... two... five, some for us and a back pack for Nancy's sister and a neighbor in Colorado who appreciates what is not store bought goods.

I was looking at the stash of goods on a bed spread at home... rethinking giving anything to anyone but ourselves... but relented.

Flying Marlena's Curious Goods, Flagstaff, Arizona 86002
Oil Tanned Leather Satchels

Google the name. Ask for Marlie. She will send you an email of products.

For those who hike and travel to places with mosquito netting... Indiana Jones could not find better. No Airstream should be considered complete with polyester or nylon packs. Had I any talent, I would be making these things. Our Airstream is now outfitted for anything this season.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Herkimer,NY , soon to be Keswick,VA
I must admit to "liking" this thread and at the same time finding it depressing. Most of my co-workers/employees have a peripheral relationship with the outdoors, of any sort. Most are very "connected" to their electronics et al. Their young children have little to no outdoor experiences. On the other hand my wife and I have raised 3 well functioning, gainfully employed, outdoorsy adults. The grandkids favorite place to be is outside. Bike riding, exploring, throwing rocks in the pond, chasing the poochies, you name it, if it's outside the house their into it. How did we get so "lucky"? The youngest son and his wife have been heard to say that if they have kids their biggest fear would be hearing, "Mom/Dad I can't go (add something like skiing, paddling, camping, fishing) I have homework to do.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Herkvet... YOU my friend are the second luckiest person to post on this thread. I would mention more but remembering two was a bit of a strain.

I keep count with my thumbs, now a days.

Herkimer, New York. Bring a sledge hammer. Camp across the road from the Herkimer Diamond Quarry. YOU will find a "Herkimer Diamond" in the dolomite diggings. These are beautiful double terminated quartz crystals. Some are so perfect and clear, you can pass them off to unsuspecting tourists for a few bucks each.

Nancy and I were there in the last century. Probably cost us $500 round trip and tent camping expenses... to find many of the diggings are by professionals who rope off their diggings, but you can dig through their spoils for "diamonds".

Of course, for real diamonds... Arkansas. But then... that would require another thread and many may not have heard of Arkansas.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Ray, I am not an "old soldier".... Rather, I am an "old nurse". We don't fade away....we get better with age...like a fine wine! I did my time, so to speak....civil service nurse in USAF , and a few Army hospitals, as I followed my career USAF spouse around the country. Spent 16 of my 46 years active duty RN in those facilities...mostly across the west. Aaaah, the memories of those years! Would not trade the experience for anything.

There is some truth to my jesting form of humor. However, " I ain't giving up...not till my last breath. I hope to still be towing my Airstream around when I turn 90!" Still got a ways to go! I may be slowing down...no more skiing, mountain hiking to the tops, jogging, etc. but, I'm still chugging along. I wish I could join on your adventures, smart enough to know I can't. I can still get out there and enjoy, just at a slower pace.

Why don't you and Nancy join Maggie and a few of us gals at Jackson Hole KOA after your adventure...and show us your finds and regale us with your stories. I'm sure we would all love it, I know I would. Evelyn.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:08 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Herkimer,NY , soon to be Keswick,VA
Ray: Yes I know about Herkimer Diamonds, AKA "Herks". Been there multiple times. The West Canada Creek, actually a small river you might remember, runs adjacent to the camp ground. I have found Herks was in from the small tributaries while fly fishing or kayaking. When our younger son was in Taos on the Carson Hotshot crew I suggested he take a backpack full of Herks to the bridge near the Mothership. He could have sold them for more money then he made fighting fires for Uncle Sam. FYI I wanted to name our AS Herkimer Diamond but the wife nixed that idea.