Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
O vintage: love or hate?

It's pretty terrible that an 11.5-year marriage is being tested over an RV, but I love my 1967 Safari so much. My husband. oTOH,, hates the quirks; leaking sewage pipe, propane tank seized up and door sticking and the blown hot water heater sent him over the edge.

What to do when one loves an AS and the other... doesn't? He wants me to sell for $6k or whatever I can get; I think that's a small price to pay for my freedom/ club house/ space of my own.

He'd rather sell and buy a 10-year-old SOB tent camper. (o, the sacrilege!)

Thoughts?
Old 04-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
It's pretty terrible ...He'd rather sell and buy a 10-year-old SOB tent camper. (o, the sacrilege!)

Thoughts?
Well,....me is gueesin...the tent camper will have a similar quantity of issues...the owner of thoses issues however....
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
....<snip>....o, the sacrilege!...<snip>...
Amen to that. Have considered a newer AS that might not have as many "quirks"? Wait till that 10 year old (count 'em...10) ...SOB tent camper starts falling apart...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
There are quirks with everything,new or old.If you like what you have,keep it.Airsteam owners and lovers do the maintenance because they know what they have.The root cause of hubby"s discontent my be a control issue or lack of camping knowledge.It ain't the trailer.My wife first dubbed our '66 Sovereign a tomb and it has taken years for her to recognize it's benefits.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, if your marriage is really being tested, then it's time to part with the trailer. But if you replace it with an old SOB tent trailer, your marriage is doomed. You keep your Airstream and let your husband buy an SOB tent trailer; See which trailer gives you the best service or enjoyment.

If your marriage is riding on the outcome of a trailer..........let the bird fly away and see if he returns. Time to seek out a marriage counselor. Good Luck.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:09 AM   #6
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Time to seek out a marriage counselor. Good Luck.
Oh, our therapist is very much involved in the discussion! :-)

We can't afford a newer AS, yes, all toys need maintenance... He wants to chuck it and buy a big tent. Sigh. But I really do like having a potty, bed, stove, bear protection (hey, grizzlies roam here) and awning.

Thanks for the support!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:27 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
So let him get the big tent and camp in that while you camp in the Airstream. I spent 15 years tent camping, and I still camp...in an unfinished Airstream

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Just wait till the 1st big storm in that tent camper, he will be sorry to let that little Airstream go ; )
Old 04-16-2011, 05:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Wait till the first hungry bear comes calling at 2am and you have nylon between you and the bear and not 2 sheets of aluminum. Seriously, I camped in a tent for years here in the south and we don't have bears. I have experienced huge thunderstorms in a tent and in my Trade Wind, guess which is the better place to be!
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Love me, love my AS. End of story. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Not one to be nosy into the relationship, but my first instinct says that this is not about the AS. If the AS is something you really enjoy & love, then I'd keep it. (For 6K what can you replace it with!) maybe, as others have suggested, you keep "yours" and he gets "his". Marriage isn't always sacrifice, but compromises happen too. Agree to disagree. It's all in how much the AS means to you. If it provides you with such pleasure and fills a void, then it's probably something you should fight for if you can afford to keep it, yourself. Best of luck.

Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Have a buddy who had a 10 year old tent camper. The corner posts wouldn't lower one time due to a mouse nest. The slide-out bed areas were very cold to sleep on during early spring or fall camping. He'd use it into early November for hunting trips to South Dakota. Boy, did I hear windstorm stories! At least he could park it in almost the smallest state forest campsites.

He bought a 23' International off the lot during the slowdown a couple years back. Now we travel together, winterize together, etc. His wife put her foot down on using it as a hunting shack...

Can each of you put the time into keeping a '67 GTO in working order? I've been in the same zone with a '74 Argosy. Is your dream larger than the personal investment allows? Nothing beats the lovely contours of a vintage. If I knew you better, I might vote with TB Rich for a newer, less intensive Airstream experience.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

"Sometimes a guy just has to cave a little"! I would say to stay your ground for awhile. Maybe a little more "shug" (southern for sugar) will help. It sounds like it will be fairly economical to fix the present repairs. Are there any tradeoffs-"you can keep your Harley, but I gotta have my Airstream"?

It took me awhile to realize it is pretty much "happy wife, happy life".

My two cents. Patrick
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
Patrick you are a very smart man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

I consider myself lucky to know the truth of that

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Hey Stella, I have a different suggestion from the above advise. Make this your project. Research the malfunctions here and you will have a good idea of what might be wrong and some great advice on how to fix the problem. Do the fix yourself and don't ask your husband to help.

Leaking sewage pipe...it may be a $25 blackwater gate valve. Just pre-rinse the black water tank thoroughly with lots of soap and water to make it clean. Then removing and replacing the gate valve it is not such a deal. Propane tank frozen...take the tank to a propane re-fill/service provider. They can trouble shoot the problem for you for free and give you some solution prices. The fix may be a cheap $20 valve. Have a local RV dealer check out the hot water heater. Even if it is blown, a new six gal propane hot water heater around $200 to $300 and not that hard to install. Just something to consider. I like to do low cost fixes first. several low cost fixes makes it easy to see progress and helps to justify a decision to pay several hundred to fix something like a hot water heater.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #16
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC
Hey Stella, I have a different suggestion from the above advise. Make this your project. Research the malfunctions here and you will have a good idea of what might be wrong and some great advice on how to fix the problem. Do the fix yourself and don't ask your husband to help.
Thanks, all. I've been working several angles, including the sugar one.

For the first three years I had it, it WAS my project. I made curtains, upholstered, cleaned, replaced blown windows and weather stripping, bought new tires, door locks, Fantastic Fan, compartment doors, pigtail... Then hubby helped me pay for re-plumbing it and I think he resents that expense. But he has slept in a bunch, including all summer long last year. Perhaps he just doesn't want that to be an option again!

The sewage pipe just has a crack; we duct taped it to possibly get it through the season.

I wanted to take the tank to a propane dealer while we were on the road, but it was easier/faster/calmed down fuming hubby to just refill the working tank. I will do that soon!

Another therapy appointment on Tuesday; I'll be sure to take a note card of talking points. Thanks again for the ideas!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My marriage is based on the golden rule . . . she with the gold rules.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
If I had to sell my Airstream in favor of a tent trailer, I would first want to rent a 10 year old tent trailer a put it through the paces.

No toilet in the tent trailer? That fixes the problem? So how would that differ from not using the toilet in the Airstream?

No hot water tank in the tent trailer? Humm ....

Clearly this is not about the Airstream ....
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
I think Montana is the problem.Hot water heater, or lack of, is no problem in Florida.Sewer pipe leaks are no problem either. Florida state parks have facilities.Maybe you should skip out and head towards our 1000 miles of beaches.Please attach photos of one's self in various swimwear so we on this site came best direct you to the appropriate beach town.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	work 233.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	127200  
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #20
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
My husband wanted the family to camp. I told my husband no private toilet no camping, then it was no mattress no camping.....which really means no camper... me no camping. Then I told him I didn't want to have to worry about putting a tent camper up when it's wet. Mold/Mildew...yuck!

After finally getting him into looking at TT, I got obsessed with A/S. After that, no SOB would seem to fit my criteria......

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote