Old 04-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Hey Stella, I have a different suggestion from the above advise. Make this your project. Research the malfunctions here and you will have a good idea of what might be wrong and some great advice on how to fix the problem. Do the fix yourself and don't ask your husband to help.

Leaking sewage pipe...it may be a $25 blackwater gate valve. Just pre-rinse the black water tank thoroughly with lots of soap and water to make it clean. Then removing and replacing the gate valve it is not such a deal. Propane tank frozen...take the tank to a propane re-fill/service provider. They can trouble shoot the problem for you for free and give you some solution prices. The fix may be a cheap $20 valve. Have a local RV dealer check out the hot water heater. Even if it is blown, a new six gal propane hot water heater around $200 to $300 and not that hard to install. Just something to consider. I like to do low cost fixes first. several low cost fixes makes it easy to see progress and helps to justify a decision to pay several hundred to fix something like a hot water heater.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #16
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC
Hey Stella, I have a different suggestion from the above advise. Make this your project. Research the malfunctions here and you will have a good idea of what might be wrong and some great advice on how to fix the problem. Do the fix yourself and don't ask your husband to help.
Thanks, all. I've been working several angles, including the sugar one.

For the first three years I had it, it WAS my project. I made curtains, upholstered, cleaned, replaced blown windows and weather stripping, bought new tires, door locks, Fantastic Fan, compartment doors, pigtail... Then hubby helped me pay for re-plumbing it and I think he resents that expense. But he has slept in a bunch, including all summer long last year. Perhaps he just doesn't want that to be an option again!

The sewage pipe just has a crack; we duct taped it to possibly get it through the season.

I wanted to take the tank to a propane dealer while we were on the road, but it was easier/faster/calmed down fuming hubby to just refill the working tank. I will do that soon!

Another therapy appointment on Tuesday; I'll be sure to take a note card of talking points. Thanks again for the ideas!

Old 04-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My marriage is based on the golden rule . . . she with the gold rules.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
If I had to sell my Airstream in favor of a tent trailer, I would first want to rent a 10 year old tent trailer a put it through the paces.

No toilet in the tent trailer? That fixes the problem? So how would that differ from not using the toilet in the Airstream?

No hot water tank in the tent trailer? Humm ....

Clearly this is not about the Airstream ....
Old 04-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
I think Montana is the problem.Hot water heater, or lack of, is no problem in Florida.Sewer pipe leaks are no problem either. Florida state parks have facilities.Maybe you should skip out and head towards our 1000 miles of beaches.Please attach photos of one's self in various swimwear so we on this site came best direct you to the appropriate beach town.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	work 233.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	127200  
Old 04-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #20
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
My husband wanted the family to camp. I told my husband no private toilet no camping, then it was no mattress no camping.....which really means no camper... me no camping. Then I told him I didn't want to have to worry about putting a tent camper up when it's wet. Mold/Mildew...yuck!

After finally getting him into looking at TT, I got obsessed with A/S. After that, no SOB would seem to fit my criteria......

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
http://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

There are classic Airstream people and late model Airstream people. Fortunately, my wife's and my tastes match.
Being under the AS fixing a sewage leak is not my idea of fun.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
There's an end to the project, it just takes time. Ours is to the point where we hardly have to do anything to it anymore. I had to replace a frozen water pipe last year, but that was my fault for poor winterizing. This year the charging system went out. It's minor compared to how much we enjoy having our own little home away from home. I know I couldn't go back to a tent!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
You need one of those fridge magnets:
He asked me to choose between him or my Airstream....
I miss him sometimes.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #24
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
Update, friends! He seems to be satisfied with the argument that the AS is an investment as well as a hobby/haven/experience. I think he worked out his control issues in therapy and he sure does like pooping indoors and camping with teammates at softball tourneys. The now-3-year-old daughter loves it too, and since SHE gets everything she wants from dad, I think the AS is safe. Oh, and since his name isn't on the title... I guess her future was really up to me all along. :-)