Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
.Lets just wrap this up.... my regrets for airing my personal opinion!
Jim and Doug - why gang up on posts with complaints, making them feel bad that they ever said anything at all? What level of complaining is acceptable?

I'll air my opinion without regret, having owned vintage and a well-cared-for 2007: The trailers are stunning to look at. Their construction (debris and all) will outlast most other trailers (unless you got a 2002-2006 22' CCD.) They tow very, very nicely. Fit and finish doesn't match the reputation. Some of the components could be spec'ed better, as there are better quality water pumps/converters/tires/etc out there. Not sure you should have to watch where or how you tow it, or should have to rub it down with various elixirs to avoid corrosion.

In other words: I really like my trailer, but as a consumer product, it ain't perfect. I don't expect perfection, but there is plenty of low-lying fruit here that could be improved.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I'll put together some photos of when I did my lino replacement... the lino guaranteed to -40 that split like the Grand Canyon at -30... there are some things open to judgement, but too many things that are just ridiculous... My hot water leading to my bathroom for example... the Pex curves down about 3 inches before a 90 elbow going to the tap - creating a fantastic place for water to sit and freeze when you drain the lines. Not only sloppy work, but there was so much force on the Pex because they couldn't bother to cut a couple inches off one section and do it right?

Problems are problems, and if someone airs their complaints here the 'scale' of the problem is what is subjective, not the problem itself. I repaired some loose cabinet doors as well... had to use epoxy to reglue some of the plastic drop-ins that had wiggled loose. Not a big deal for me - but for some people even removing a cabinet door is beyond their handi-skills.

RV ownership of any brand is not for the clueless... and repair/maintenance of an Airstream can add unique challenges...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I think the bottom line here is: if you pay over a hundred grand there should be no problems. If it was me I would take it to JC get my money back and the gas money for getting there. It's not right that they do this on a top end product. I would expect it out of a $20,000 sob.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Thanks for that tip. I'm a little confused as to how I actually follow the drain lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
How about the dye test? Take a gallon or two of water, and add some sort of water-soluble dye. Rather than filling the shower pan and then pulling the plug, pour it down the drain using a funnel so you don't get any of the dye-laden water on your shower pan (just in case it doesn't wash off as well as you thought it would). Follow the drain lines and see if you detect any of the color on the outside of the drain lines.

Whatever dye you use needs to be able to wash out with soap and water, of course.