Old 09-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
No turning back now.

Well, it's official.
I picked up my 2017 FC 26U on Wednesday.

During hurricane Irma the dealer moved all the Airstreams into their giant service building, so my new pride and joy didn't get clobbered outside. Thanks, North Trail!

I've already dented my bank account with the endless stream of "necessaries" such as air compressor, surge protector, coupler lock, tire ramp, and it never ends.
I still have a storage room full of stuff from the MH, so I'm good on tableware, bedding, etc.
I digress.
The dealer was great on the walkthrough, I'd seen the AS several times already, so this was a double check, they had addressed all my little nits like one pull down curtain missing a knob, etc., and the GYE were mounted as promised.
I already had the hitch, so their guy mounted the trailer part, and did the adjustment. After he was satisfied, he left the bars on the ground for me to learn how to put them in the first time. Damn, they're stiff! Push, pry, shove, cajole.
Finally, I drove away.
I have to say, it towed much better than I feared. Within five miles I had it on cruise control between 60-65. No sway, no jerking. Every so often a semi passing would move me sideways maybe an inch, just enough to notice but not requiring any conscious adjustment.
In my excitement, I forgot to mount the tow mirrors, but in reality I could see the lanes on either side well behind the trailer with the stock mirrors.
A couple hours later I was backing into my storage slot and thinking, "Please Lord, don't let me back into a post."
...and I didn't. Unhitching was pretty easy, I had prepared a wood block for under the jack, lifted it up until I took most of the pressure off the bars, and pulled them off their pads. (Equalizer). I left the hitch on the truck for the ride home.
At parking lot speeds the hitch sure makes a lot of creaking noise! I expected it, and didn't hear any during the drive.

I stayed in "tow/haul" all the way, and the gas mileage was better than I expected for a Tundra. 12.4. It seemed to work better on cruise control because small hills ate up the momentum since I wasn't used to the weight yet.
It's odd to look in the rear view mirror and see a slab of aluminum so close to the end of the truck bed!

Yes, the tailgate hits the tongue jack, so I have to decide if I'll rotate the jack head or try to find a shank that's 2" longer.

This is where storing at your house is a big advantage. I like my storage lot, but it's 25 miles away, and I try to organize a lot before going. It would be easier to just walk out the door.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Congrats on the new addition to the family. The 26U is a nice unit and it sounds like you have a good dealer.

Plus glad to hear you didn't back into a post! That would be a real bummer!

Enjoy!

Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Congratulations, and kudos for waiting until after Irma to pick her up.

Have fun!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Moss Point , Mississippi
Congrats on your 26U! We also have the 2017 26U and really like it so far. A very nice layout. Must have been a big relief to pick it up after all the stress of Irma bearing down on FL.
Dave-n-Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
We've had our 26U since May.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do ours.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Congratulations, and kudos for waiting until after Irma to pick her up.
Thanks. As Irma was approaching Florida, I was scheduled to pick it up on the Friday. However, no companies would write a insurance policy once the storm was close, and I sure wasn't going to go without. My storage yard has a 120mph roof, so it would have been safe, but....
In hindsight, it all worked out well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-n-Janet View Post
Congrats on your 26U! We also have the 2017 26U and really like it so far. A very nice layout. Must have been a big relief to pick it up after all the stress of Irma bearing down on FL.
No kidding!
I fled Florida and it would have been nice to take with me. Also, there was the worry that my house might be damaged AND the Airstream damaged too!
As it turned out, neither was.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Yes, the tailgate hits the tongue jack, so I have to decide if I'll rotate the jack head or try to find a shank that's 2" longer.
Congrats. Always an exciting day.

Just rotate the jack head. 10 minutes and it's free. And it lessens the chance of shin-busting on an extended hitch shank.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Congrats Mollysdad! I'm sure you'll never forget that arrival!! Enjoy every minute and please give us a pic when you can !!
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Congrats!

Congrats on your new AS!

You said, "Within five miles I had it on cruise control between 60-65."

This may not apply to you, but you might check your TV manual. We tow with a Dodge Durango and the manual clearly states that we can't use cruise control while towing. I don't know why, but that's what it says.

Safe travels!
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:37 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
Congratulations on your new unit and being able to avoid Irma. Many pleasant trips for you !
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Congratulations !!!

Good to hear that everything / everybody made it through ok. I've been wondering how well the dealer did / didn't weather the storm.

Our trailer is about 20 minutes (40 minute round trip) away from the house. That does make loading / unloading a bit problematic. Our neighbors / police / crooks all have been pretty good so far about us parking on the street to load and unload. I'm not quite sure I'd want to chance it with the garbage guy running past ....

Enjoy !!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:06 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Cape Coral , Florida
We bought our 2017 25' FB from North Trail earlier this year. Really liked the dealership. Glad you had a good experience as well. They have significantly ramped up their AS department. We left with the trailer on the Thursday before Irma as we were supposed to really get smacked and we wanted to make sure we had something to live in. We got lucky with minimal damage to the property.
Coach B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #13
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Woot ! Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallye View Post
Congrats on your new AS!

You said, "Within five miles I had it on cruise control between 60-65."

This may not apply to you, but you might check your TV manual. We tow with a Dodge Durango and the manual clearly states that we can't use cruise control while towing. I don't know why, but that's what it says.

Safe travels!
I can hear the happiness heheh, congratulations friend.

Interesting about the cruise control, any other folks have this restriction on their tow vehicle of choice?

I know my foot has it's own cruise control, I swear it's accurate like a swiss watch, set it and forget it LOL

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
MollysDad, congratulations on your new AS. We live on the east coast of Florida and finally made the decision to leave with our AS. Even though we wound up in parking lots three nights in a row, I felt comfortable that I was protecting her from getting battered during the brunt of the storm. All in all it was a pretty nice way to avoid the the storm.

At home we lost power for 5 days so we stayed away until we knew power was back on. I know you will love your AS as much as we do. -John

John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote