Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2017, 12:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
No Hotels

Just today it crossed my mind that it has been about four years since I have stayed in a hotel room, ever since I put the Airstream on the road.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:24 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Wish I could say the same. While I was working for a living, I had to stay in hotels for official Government travel, even after I bought my Airstream.

Despite showing that it would save the Government money for me to stay in a campground and commute to the hotel conference room where training was being held, my boss categorically refused to let me take my Airstream, saying, "No way are we going to pay you to have fun. You're there to work, damn it!"

But since I've retired, I haven't stayed in a hotel or motel room at all, and only flown once. That once was a Valentine's Day gift to a girlfriend who had never flown before and wanted to try it once. So we flew to Houston, had a nice meal and did some shopping, and flew back home the same day. But that will be the last time I ever fly, too.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
On the way back from the East Coast we stayed at a hotel in Scranton, and left the Airstream in the parking lot! That was our 19', while waiting for our 27'. I haven't slept in a corner bed since. ��

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Isn't it great we can take our own bed and pillow anywhere we go? Once when visiting a sister she asked, "Do you want to sleep on a real bed?" Yeah, we love sleeping on our real bed over 4,000 nights so far.

We bought our Airstream, among other reasons, so we wouldn't need to get a room when we went on backpacking trips. THAT hasn't worked out so well - who wants to sleep on the ground when we can sleep in an Airstream?

Occasionally we find ourselves wanting to go cross-continent semi-instantly and it's just easier and less expensive to fly, rent a car and hotel, and look forward to getting back to our own bed. Maybe once every two or three years, I guess.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:39 AM   #5
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I hate hotels. When I had to work outta the country, I had no choice. I hated every single one, whether they were a tiny motel or a fancy 5-star resort.

But if I was workin in the US outta town, I always brought a trailer. I can't tell ya how many times my employer paid for a hotel room for me while I slept in the parkin lot of that hotel in my Casita.

And right now I'm visitin family in Tucson, sleepin in their driveway every night while my fancy hotel points sit and rot away in the account. I found out recently I can convert em to Amazon gift cards, so I think I'm gonna do that.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I often travel for work and carry one of my Airstreams. I only get reimbursed for actual lodging cost, several times it has been -zero- cost since I choose to stay at nice free forest service spots instead of a 'RV Resort'.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Before Elizabeth surprised me by out of the blue telling me she wanted an Airstream, we were staying several weeks (a couple a few months) a year in hotel rooms.

It is so much nicer not living that rat race.

Two weeks ago tomorrow (Monday evening) we left central AR, attended a business meeting in KC MO on Tuesday, arrived in Las Cruces NM Wed night, spent half a day at work on Thursday, then drove to Bisbee, AZ Thursday night.

Friday Elizabeth baked her first ever wedding cake for my niece’s wedding on Saturday. We stayed in Bisbee until Tuesday around noon, drove back to Las Cruces, where we worked Wed, Thurs, and part of Fri, left for AR Friday afternoon, and backed into our driveway at about 11:00 last night. No hotels.

Who has time for Hotels?

I LOVE Elizabeth’s Airstream.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

In some years, I'd spend over a hundred nights in hotel rooms. I don't miss that at all .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

In some years, I'd spend over a hundred nights in hotel rooms. I don't miss that at all .....

Bob

Me neither. Over the years I had grown to hate hotels.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The only places we plan to stay in hotels are Hawaii, Disney World, and Disneyland. Everything else is in our aluminum home...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #11
VSM

2018 33' Classic
Knoxville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The only places we plan to stay in hotels are Hawaii, Disney World, and Disneyland. Everything else is in our aluminum home...

Ever thought of trying Fort Wilderness at Disney World?
Vickitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
No Hotels

Will take time to convince SWMBO on that one. She prefers to maximize in-park time...and enjoyed the heck out of the room at the Pop Century resort.

Ditto Disneyland, even though we only live a short distance from the park...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We still stay in hotels on ocassion when we are trying to beat feet across country to various family events. Just stayed in Paradise Pier at Disneyland (to be with family) but sure would have preferred the Airstream even though it was a very nice hotel. Haven't flown in 13 years but that's a separate story.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I basically lived in hotels, five days a week.
So I got the motorhome for vacations. Although I could have stayed in a Four Seasons for what I spent, there is something special knowing you were sleeping in the same bed, your clothes were in the closet, and your food was in the fridge.
Priceless.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Morton , Illinois
Smile

I spent 35 years living in hotel rooms (about 40-60 nights/year). Now we sleep in our own dirt about 100 nights/year. Much better.
Hoboplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #16
Toaster

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Langlois , Oregon
AS in the RV park, rented very nice room in adjacent hotel for 10th anniversary to make wife happy, nice dinner in hotel, back to AS for hotel material, raining, music on, never made it back to the hotel, paid for unused room, best anniversary ever (up to then), moral of story, life is full of surprises, go with the flow.
tmacor is offline   Reply With Quote