Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #21
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Probably less exciting than what you had in mind but more useful..... Outdoor fire pits, outdoor fireplaces, outdoor gas fireplace, propane fireplace

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #22
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
AAAHHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Probably less exciting than what you had in mind
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Very interesting... My wife might go for that. --Thanks!
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It has consistently high reviews on Amazon. This one looks to be better made and have a better fire look than the others I have seen. It seems every time I go camping there is a burn ban on and I have been looking for a portable fire pit to use.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
It has consistently high reviews on Amazon. This one looks to be better made and have a better fire look than the others I have seen. It seems every time I go camping there is a burn ban on and I have been looking for a portable fire pit to use.
I just bought the "little red campfire" from Camping World. same thinking on burn bans! I have a 5 year old little girl that is very dissapointed when we cant have s'mores over a campfire!

Not my video... just borrowing it.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #26
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Oh, I misunderstood. when i saw "Fire Dancer" it took me back to the memory of the first time I was chopping up habanero peppers and had to go visit the tree and didn't think about the powder on my hands, and well......fire dancer would be an understatement.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Oh, I misunderstood. when i saw "Fire Dancer" it took me back to the memory of the first time I was chopping up habanero peppers and had to go visit the tree and didn't think about the powder on my hands, and well......fire dancer would be an understatement.
How about this as a compromise then!!! LOL!
By the way, if I actually find one of these it is absolutely going in the Airstream!

WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 08-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Probably less exciting than what you had in mind but more useful..... Outdoor fire pits, outdoor fireplaces, outdoor gas fireplace, propane fireplace

With average use and gas flow about how long does a 20lb bottle of gas last for you?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
The fire dancer site says 1 hour per pound of propane. So a 20lb bottle will get you twenty hours of fun.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post

Slightly different story.....was pulling weeds out of a flower bed (under some shrubs) wearing gloves but we couldn't see what we were pulling out....turned out there was poison ivy there. Went to the bathroom...took off one gloves but not both..... You should have seen me walk that week..... Couldn't scratch at work while walking in the hallways, had to walk in ways for the jeans to do the scratching for me.... One of the most uncomfortable miserable week's in my life...
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getaways View Post
Slightly different story.....was pulling weeds out of a flower bed (under some shrubs) wearing gloves but we couldn't see what we were pulling out....turned out there was poison ivy there. Went to the bathroom...took off one gloves but not both..... You should have seen me walk that week..... Couldn't scratch at work while walking in the hallways, had to walk in ways for the jeans to do the scratching for me.... One of the most uncomfortable miserable week's in my life...
Too much information. A rash is NOT a "nice to have item for an Airstream"!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #32
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
With average use and gas flow about how long does a 20lb bottle of gas last for you?
The websites listed propane use is about right. It comes with a stone "log" and the filling around the log is vermiculite. Combined, they hold heat and are very effective.

The best feature on this thing is that it's lightweight. Almost all of these kinds of portable pits are steel and this one is aluminum. The lid / cover screws on and the hose coils neatly around for travel. You can pack it within a few minutes of shutting it down.

We've found it can be used anywhere there's a burn ban although often the campground attendant will want to check it out first ...

We've also run it under our awning or a canopy in the rain with no issue. it's not the biggest fire on the block, but for a small group it's perfect - you can sit close.

I can't say enough good about this gadget. Love it!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Janet, thanks. That seems to be about average gas use for these types of products. I have a spare 20 lb bottle that would work fine for this. The videos make the fire look very "real" compared to other brands. Amazon has the best price I have been able to find. I like the fake log set up better than the competition. I think I will go ahead and order one from Amazon. If I don't like it I can send it back.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
..turned out there was poison ivy there.

That brings up a point. I'm going to add some poison ivy scrub (Zanfel or generic equivalent) to the first aid supplies in our Airstream. Prepared is better than miserable.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #35

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
..turned out there was poison ivy there.

That brings up a point. I'm going to add some poison ivy scrub (Zanfel or generic equivalent) to the first aid supplies in our Airstream. Prepared is better than miserable.
Hydrocortisone spray. Cools the rash and kills the itch. Available over-the-counter.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Nice to have items for the Airstream

My list is somewhat predicated by the fact that both of my Airstreams are Vintage units and I often travel in areas far from reliable Vintage parts sources:
  • For the Airstream/Argosy Tool Box
    • Rebuild Kit for PAR Water Pump
    • Various small parts for PAR Water Pump
    • Cheap Replacement water pump for use if the PAR needs something not in repair parts/tool box.
    • Pair heavy, long wrenches for LP Tank Connections
    • Selection of glass fuses and modern automotive fuses for both Argosy and Airstream.
    • Replacement breakaway switch . . . metallic cylinder style
    • Spare Hayes-Lemmerz brake controller . . . have never needed it, but it is the only controller that I truly trust and like . . . and I utilize the same controller on all three tow vehicles
    • Spare 50-AMP and 15-AMP adapters
    • RV Extension Cords -- 10-foot and 25 foot (I utilize only the shortest that will get my coach's supply cord to the power pole)
    • Spare 7-pole connectors (trailer and tow vehicle ends) -- I utilize the heavy duty round pin connectors so know that finidng a replacement while on the road could be quite difficult.
    • Three-step ladder for deploying and storing curbside awning (also helpful for getting into the rear of the Suburban or Adventurer)
    • Blueboy tote for gray water (5 gallon and 10 gallon)
    • Spare capacitors for Armstrong Air Conditioner (these are still in my toolbox despite having lost my Armstrong due to my own ignorance)
    • Spare parts for faucets in kitchen and bathroom of both coaches
    • Spare LP Gas Regulator and hoses
    • Spare light bulbs for exterior as well as interior lights
    • Spare lug nuts for alloy wheels on Overlander
  • Items carried for Cadillac tow vehicle
    • HEI Ignition Module
    • Set of Sparkplugs
    • Set of Sparkplug Wires
    • Distributor Cap
    • Distributor Rotor
    • Fuel Pump
    • Fuel Filters
    • Oil Filter
    • Exhaust Heat Riser Valve
    • Thermostat
    • Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses
    • One set of fan belts
    • Water Pump
    • Radiator Cap
    • Fuel Tank Cap
    • Spare lug nuts for Alloy wheels
    • Spare lug nuts for steel wheels
    • Spare Alternator
    • Spare Starter with Heat Shield
    • Two sapre tires (the car takes an unusual tire that is generally only used on hearses or limousines)
    • Auto-Temperature Climate Control Switch
    • Cruise Control Modules (three that are most prone to trouble)
    • Power Antenna Relays
    • Convertible Top Motor Relays
    • Air Conditioner VIR Module
    • Replacement light bulbs for all interior and exterior lights
    • Spare fuses for all fuse positions
  • Items Carried for Dodge tow vehicle
    • Thermostat
    • Water Pump
    • Fuel Pump
    • Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses
    • Set of Fan Belts
    • Set of Spark Plugs
    • Set of Spark Plug Wires
    • Electronic Ignition Module
    • Distributor Cap
    • Distributor Rotor
    • Fuel Filters
    • Oil Filter
    • Replacement light bulbs for all interior and exterior lights
    • Spare fuses for all fuse positions
    • Spare volatage regulator
    • Spare Alternator
    • Spare Starter
Thus far, my spare parts have been needed more often to assist fellow campers, but they do provide an insurance policy. I checked some of the invoices as I was going through sorting and checking that everything was present; and discovered that a good number of the parts and supplies have been in their storage boxes for eight or more years. The hoses and belts are rotated out every fourth year when I routinely replace fan belts and radiator hoses. The fuses for the trailers are most often used . . . both of my coaches seem to blow their water pump fuses at least once or twice per season.

The spare parts give me the peace of mind to really enjoy my travels as I am prepared for most of the "typical" emergencies that can interrupt a trip.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
My list is somewhat predicated by the fact that both of my Airstreams are Vintage units and I often travel in areas far from reliable Vintage parts sources:
[*]For the Airstream/Argosy Tool Box
[*]Rebuild Kit for PAR Water Pump[*]Various small parts for PAR Water Pump[*]Cheap Replacement water pump for use if the PAR needs something not in repair parts/tool box.[*]Pair heavy, long wrenches for LP Tank Connections[*]Selection of glass fuses and modern automotive fuses for both Argosy and Airstream.[*]Replacement breakaway switch . . . metallic cylinder style[*]Spare Hayes-Lemmerz brake controller . . . have never needed it, but it is the only controller that I truly trust and like . . . and I utilize the same controller on all three tow vehicles[*]Spare 50-AMP and 15-AMP adapters[*]RV Extension Cords -- 10-foot and 25 foot (I utilize only the shortest that will get my coach's supply cord to the power pole)[*]Spare 7-pole connectors (trailer and tow vehicle ends) -- I utilize the heavy duty round pin connectors so know that finidng a replacement while on the road could be quite difficult.[*]Three-step ladder for deploying and storing curbside awning (also helpful for getting into the rear of the Suburban or Adventurer)[*]Blueboy tote for gray water (5 gallon and 10 gallon)[*]Spare capacitors for Armstrong Air Conditioner (these are still in my toolbox despite having lost my Armstrong due to my own ignorance)[*]Spare parts for faucets in kitchen and bathroom of both coaches[*]Spare LP Gas Regulator and hoses[*]Spare light bulbs for exterior as well as interior lights[*]Spare lug nuts for alloy wheels on Overlander
[*]Items carried for Cadillac tow vehicle
[*]HEI Ignition Module[*]Set of Sparkplugs[*]Set of Sparkplug Wires[*]Distributor Cap[*]Distributor Rotor[*]Fuel Pump[*]Fuel Filters[*]Oil Filter[*]Exhaust Heat Riser Valve[*]Thermostat[*]Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses[*]One set of fan belts[*]Water Pump[*]Radiator Cap[*]Fuel Tank Cap[*]Spare lug nuts for Alloy wheels[*]Spare lug nuts for steel wheels[*]Spare Alternator[*]Spare Starter with Heat Shield[*]Two sapre tires (the car takes an unusual tire that is generally only used on hearses or limousines)[*]Auto-Temperature Climate Control Switch[*]Cruise Control Modules (three that are most prone to trouble)[*]Power Antenna Relays[*]Convertible Top Motor Relays[*]Air Conditioner VIR Module[*]Replacement light bulbs for all interior and exterior lights[*]Spare fuses for all fuse positions
[*]Items Carried for Dodge tow vehicle
[*]Thermostat[*]Water Pump[*]Fuel Pump[*]Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses[*]Set of Fan Belts[*]Set of Spark Plugs[*]Set of Spark Plug Wires[*]Electronic Ignition Module[*]Distributor Cap[*]Distributor Rotor[*]Fuel Filters[*]Oil Filter[*]Replacement light bulbs for all interior and exterior lights[*]Spare fuses for all fuse positions[*]Spare volatage regulator[*]Spare Alternator[*]Spare Starter

Thus far, my spare parts have been needed more often to assist fellow campers, but they do provide an insurance policy. I checked some of the invoices as I was going through sorting and checking that everything was present; and discovered that a good number of the parts and supplies have been in their storage boxes for eight or more years. The hoses and belts are rotated out every fourth year when I routinely replace fan belts and radiator hoses. The fuses for the trailers are most often used . . . both of my coaches seem to blow their water pump fuses at least once or twice per season.

The spare parts give me the peace of mind to really enjoy my travels as I am prepared for most of the "typical" emergencies that can interrupt a trip.

Kevin
Im going to start camping next to you! Haha!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 08-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #38

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
My list is somewhat predicated by the fact that both of my Airstreams are Vintage units and I often travel in areas far from reliable Vintage parts sources…
If you carry all of that, where do you find room to sleep?
Old 08-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
wine, lots of wine
Old 08-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
The fire dancer that Janet is talking about is great. We got ours after a rally on the OR coast and got to see them 1st hand. We love ours and it is true that we have been ablle to have our "campfire" when a burn ban is in effect. Will be heading to Deschutes State Park on Monday, and they have a burn ban this time of year. We always get a visit from the rangers checking us out, only questions is how long it takes before they arrive.
and of course as another poster said, wiine lots of wine and we also have our martini kit.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote