Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2019, 07:10 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I was disappointed the first time I lined my cupboards with the drawer liners recommended for RV travel because they slid all over the place and did not keep the dishes in place. I bought a small package of sticky play-doh-like putty from a stationery store (I think it's used to put up posters) and used little squares of it between the liners and the smooth surface of the cupboards. It worked great. I think it's especially important to do this beneath your kitchen sink because of the exposed plumbing. You don't want stuff banging into it while traveling. Thanks for minimizing your use of paper and plasticware. If you must use plasticware, consider re-using it versus discarding after just one use.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:19 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Coffee

....A very good way to keep it fresh.....Great name & looks kool also.😎

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-23-2019, 08:10 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
The first set of drawer liners slid around on me too. Then, I bought the open weave thicker type. No more issues.

Kay
Minno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:38 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We all have gone through the what do I need experience when we first got our AS. After almost two years in our 28' Serenity, we have shed a lot of the things we thought we would need. I think you have been given good advice but the best advice is use your trailer and figure out what you really need ... it will happen. Keep a running list. One thing is figure out the storage situation and maximize what you have. I converted a wardrobe closet into a 4 sliding metal shelf pantry which really helped with storage and organization. We also use storage baskets in the upper cabinets to keep things organized. Anything that isn't needed regularly or is back-up we keep in bins in the TV. Keeping things organized is important to us so all this helps. One thing I didn't see on the list is a set of walkie talkies - for backing in. Very helpful.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:49 PM   #25
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Here is a list I started when I got my first AS back in 2014. This has since grown.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ed-144940.html
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:08 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Jacksonville Beach , Florida
We just got our trailer 3 months ago so by all means we are still newbies. We try to be cost conscious so when we think we need something we first think is there something we have around the house we can use before buying something new. ie we had an extra set of dishes that we didnt use and just used a comforter and sheets we already had along with extra glasses dish towels bath towels etc. Does it all match and have the glam no but it allows us to save money for experiences instead. The one thing we did splurge on are these fire pit rocker chairs. We love them. https://www.walmart.com/ip/GCI-Outdo...MaAhYREALw_wcB. We already had a mini solo stove so we just took that along which is nice for just the two of us since sometimes we don't want to deal with a big fire but want the look. Many others use propane which we may do in the future but to save money we are using what we have. The big things we got were safety and security items such as wheel chocks and trailer hitch lock along with levelers as others stated. We also are "splurging" on a Retrax cover for the back of the truck but this is so we have extra storage area and also putting racks on the truck to take our kayaks. On my list currently is to get a outside hide a key after reading quite a few have locked themselves out of their Airstream.
Grace-n-Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:39 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Camper Levelers - I was just about to buy the Andersens when the Andersen National Parks fiasco broke. I also read about Andersens breaking. I bought these instead. I think they are stronger and more durable than the Andersens. They are slightly more expensive, but, at least in my opinion, worth the difference.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Changing a flat - I have, and have used, the TrailerAid. Works great.

https://www.trailer-aid.com/Trailer-Aid.html

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Ingram , Texas
Congrats on your new unit. Any or all of the above suggestions would useful, the 10% discount should be scorned and laughed at, how much did you just spend for that AS? I would without any hesitation demand every item listed here for free, when your salesman says that’s impossible, no way, then you give in on a few of the items you need least. Whether you’ve paid for the AS or not, they will eventually yield to some of the ‘must haves’ and then ask for a 50% discount on the other items. They want happy customers who will come back for the inevitable service, the real money maker in the rv business.
ChicknKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:19 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docbutch View Post
My wife and I will be picking up our 2019 Tommy Bahama on Wednesday from Camper's World in Ashland, Virginia on Wednesday. We get a 10% discount on any items purchased at the store. Are there any must have items or even nice-to-have items that we should consider purchasing? Any suggestions would be most welcome.
By the way, if you are a Good Sam member via Camping World you get 10 % off all the time on every thing you buy. I've been a member for 20 plus years. I have my Roadside Assist and Travel Assist through C.W. lot of benefits through C.W. and at the stores.
sctinman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #30
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Staying Warm

Buy as few accessories as possible when you first get started. As your camping style evolves, your special needs will rise to the top and you can address them with items specifically designed for RV's or small living spaces vs. larger and heavier items you might use at home.

As an example, we ran into colder weather than expected the first couple of years we started full-timing. Two accessories that became difference makers for us were:

1) dual control electric heated mattress pad
2) small ceramic heater.

Both these items help keep us snug and warm on the coldest nights and allow us to save on propane by setting our thermostat to 43 while sleeping.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:46 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Ocean Pines , Maryland
Thanx
Docbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:58 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by demijac View Post
1) dual control electric heated mattress pad
Just added to my Amazon cart.....great idea....TY!
kittmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:39 AM   #33
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Just added to my Amazon cart.....great idea....TY!
Heated mattress pads are not recommended for 'memory foam', which I believe newer Airstreams have.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:51 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Heated mattress pads are not recommended for 'memory foam', which I believe newer Airstreams have.
Ok, I'll look closer before we order anything....TY
kittmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
A very good trailer hitch lock is this one Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0816.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	340541. Be sure you get the one for Airstream only. I have had one for years and no problems

Join Good Sam Club and get your 10% discount always plus discount at RV parks. Leave the dealers with all the free stuff you can get..
Old 05-13-2019, 12:22 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Airstream coupler lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
A very good trailer hitch lock is this one Attachment 340541. Be sure you get the one for Airstream only. I have had one for years and no problems

Join Good Sam Club and get your 10% discount always plus discount at RV parks. Leave the dealers with all the free stuff you can get..
Julie-Bob. Where did you get this particular lock ? I noticed 2 of them, what's the difference in the 2. ?
sctinman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:36 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctinman44 View Post
Julie-Bob. Where did you get this particular lock ? I noticed 2 of them, what's the difference in the 2. ?
Not Julie-Bob, but I have, and recommend one.
The Airstream coupler is wider around the latch, so the Airstream specific one (2516-A) has a larger cutout vs. the normal 2 5/16 version. Otherwise, they're identical.

The company is about 20 miles from me, so I visited in person. Small family operation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31AHwQKvbKL.01_SL500_.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	340616  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #38

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have found over the years that a good pair of yard pruning shears have come in handy on numerous occasions. Sometimes they are necessary to trim a branch that comes in contact with the awning.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote