Old 04-21-2019, 12:36 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
A couple of lawn chairs. Preferably with the small attached fold up table. Also, an outdoor type carpet. Some basic tools and dishes. (We prefer the Corelle)

Old 04-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #16
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
One important item that I forgot was a grill for outside cooking. It does take some research to get that choice right, but do not be without one.

The Anderson type levelers are available from other mfgs. Look for the black ones. A vist to the thread on "Defacement of Corona Arch" will give you some background.

The reason for the grease gun is hitch and ball lubrication. You may not find the gun necessary, depending on your rig, but do lubricate the ball. Also, remove the hitch shank when not in use. Your shins will thank you and your TV will be shorter in tight parking spaces.

A type of cloth or paper towel is handy to degrease items. A bag is a good storage method for items which have been greased.

The rivet gun/set tool is needed to replace popped rivets that you find after use. It may be necessary to also have a drill and appropriate bits. The alternative is to ignore the problem and periodically have a mobile technician or dealer do the replacement. Some rivets require furniture removal for access, so it is not always a trivial task. Most issues have more than one solution. DIY is less expensive, but does require specific skill, knowledge and ability if one is to deliver a satisfactory result.

Another set of gear is the material necessary to perform a periodic wash and wax to keep the exterior clean and shiny.

Good Luck and post back the items you found to be must haves that we missed. It's an ongoing exercise that tunes your gear to preference as your RV lifestyle changes each year. Pat

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
The Almost Complete Book on Maintaining Your Airstream (or a title very close to that) is a great starting point as to what you might want to take along.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:09 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Induction Cooker

When I bought an induction cooktop (mine is Duxtop, but any brand works) I thought to bring it when camping.

Two great uses: [assume you have minimum hookups]
1. We always use it to heat dishwater in a 6 qt stainless stockpot- it is sooo much faster than stove top. We don't keep our water heater hot except for showers.

2. Great for cast iron skillet to sear a steak, etc.

We keep our induction cooker on the top shelf in the hanging closet.

I agree with others - get the basic stuff mentioned above and add / subtract as you go.
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:15 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Outside Dining

One of the most valuable items that we bought at Camping World, and use regularly, is a pair of black rubber picnic table bungees for about $7.00. They fit even the thickest picnic tables that you find in national parks. If you like to eat outside, these keep your tablecloth on the table in blowing rain and strong winds. Even better, get oilcloth by the yard at Walmart for your tablecloth and use the bungees to keep it secure.
Natomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Some type of level so you can level your trailer in the campsite. We have a big one on the front of the trailer. Others are smaller or are inside. It's all in what you can use the easiest. And, of course, leveling blocks. We used wood boards for years. Now we use (now I can't think of the name.... curved ones you drive up on and chock) Takes practice. Start with simple, work up. Use the Lego style ones for under your stabilizers.
Rain gear. Hard to hitch up/unhitch in blowing rain holding an umbrella.
Drawer liners to keep things in place when you're traveling. I use the thick rubbery type ones for the best nonskid.
You'll figure more or less out as you use the trailer. Keep a pen and paper in the trailer for lists of things to do and get while you're camping.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:10 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I was disappointed the first time I lined my cupboards with the drawer liners recommended for RV travel because they slid all over the place and did not keep the dishes in place. I bought a small package of sticky play-doh-like putty from a stationery store (I think it's used to put up posters) and used little squares of it between the liners and the smooth surface of the cupboards. It worked great. I think it's especially important to do this beneath your kitchen sink because of the exposed plumbing. You don't want stuff banging into it while traveling. Thanks for minimizing your use of paper and plasticware. If you must use plasticware, consider re-using it versus discarding after just one use.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:19 AM   #22
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Coffee

....A very good way to keep it fresh.....Great name & looks kool also.😎

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:10 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
The first set of drawer liners slid around on me too. Then, I bought the open weave thicker type. No more issues.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:38 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We all have gone through the what do I need experience when we first got our AS. After almost two years in our 28' Serenity, we have shed a lot of the things we thought we would need. I think you have been given good advice but the best advice is use your trailer and figure out what you really need ... it will happen. Keep a running list. One thing is figure out the storage situation and maximize what you have. I converted a wardrobe closet into a 4 sliding metal shelf pantry which really helped with storage and organization. We also use storage baskets in the upper cabinets to keep things organized. Anything that isn't needed regularly or is back-up we keep in bins in the TV. Keeping things organized is important to us so all this helps. One thing I didn't see on the list is a set of walkie talkies - for backing in. Very helpful.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:49 PM   #25
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Here is a list I started when I got my first AS back in 2014. This has since grown.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ed-144940.html
"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:08 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Jacskonville Beach , Florida
We just got our trailer 3 months ago so by all means we are still newbies. We try to be cost conscious so when we think we need something we first think is there something we have around the house we can use before buying something new. ie we had an extra set of dishes that we didnt use and just used a comforter and sheets we already had along with extra glasses dish towels bath towels etc. Does it all match and have the glam no but it allows us to save money for experiences instead. The one thing we did splurge on are these fire pit rocker chairs. We love them. https://www.walmart.com/ip/GCI-Outdo...MaAhYREALw_wcB. We already had a mini solo stove so we just took that along which is nice for just the two of us since sometimes we don't want to deal with a big fire but want the look. Many others use propane which we may do in the future but to save money we are using what we have. The big things we got were safety and security items such as wheel chocks and trailer hitch lock along with levelers as others stated. We also are "splurging" on a Retrax cover for the back of the truck but this is so we have extra storage area and also putting racks on the truck to take our kayaks. On my list currently is to get a outside hide a key after reading quite a few have locked themselves out of their Airstream.
Grace-n-Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:39 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Camper Levelers - I was just about to buy the Andersens when the Andersen National Parks fiasco broke. I also read about Andersens breaking. I bought these instead. I think they are stronger and more durable than the Andersens. They are slightly more expensive, but, at least in my opinion, worth the difference.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Changing a flat - I have, and have used, the TrailerAid. Works great.

https://www.trailer-aid.com/Trailer-Aid.html

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Ingram , Texas
Congrats on your new unit. Any or all of the above suggestions would useful, the 10% discount should be scorned and laughed at, how much did you just spend for that AS? I would without any hesitation demand every item listed here for free, when your salesman says that’s impossible, no way, then you give in on a few of the items you need least. Whether you’ve paid for the AS or not, they will eventually yield to some of the ‘must haves’ and then ask for a 50% discount on the other items. They want happy customers who will come back for the inevitable service, the real money maker in the rv business.

ChicknKathy is offline   Reply With Quote