Old 01-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Newport Folk Festival in July

We're planning a cross-country trip to go to the Newport Folk Festival at the end of July. Need advice as far as where to stay, dog boarding, the actual festival, etc..

We have 2 dogs. Need RV park that's dog friendly, and/or recommendations for dog boarding for a few days. I'm thinking that, most likely, we'll need to board the dogs since we'll be gone long days at the festival.

I'm in the process of making a reservation at Meadowlark RV Park. Anyone been there? I read reviews.."clean, friendly, allow pets, rv's parked really tight together."

Also, regarding getting festival tickets...how fast do they sell out? I can buy early-release tix, but have to buy all 3 days. Would rather wait and just buy 2 day pass, but not sure if they sell out too quickly once they go on sale.

THX.

weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Just bought festival tickets, so the trip is on!!! Yahooooo!!!

Old 01-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Just bought festival tickets, so the trip is on!!! Yahooooo!!!
We attended the 2011 Newport folk Festival. It was the first folkfest to be sold out and was jam packed and fun. Nice crowd at a great location. Oh man was it HOT! Bring sunscreen and a big hat.

We stayed just up the street at the Paradise Park Campground which was convienent and did check out Meadowlark while there.

I would say it will suit your needs and is as close to the fort as you are going to get to attend the festival. The sites may be a bit tight but the location of the park is ideal to access Newport and the beaches nearby.

I did notice a large ferry bringing people from Jametown across the harbor and dropping them off right at the fort. I believe there is a large State campground over there which would be worth looking into.

We rode our bicycles to and from which we figured was about five miles to the festival from campground because we feared the line going in to parking would be long. But they really keep it moving and would not worry about that again. The ride was a bit much espesially packed up with chairs, blankets, hats, and did I mention sun screen!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM6992.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	386.0 KB
ID:	203668   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM7006.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	203669  

wbcci #3363
VAC - Region 1 vintage Club rep
New England unit
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Safari62, Thanks so much for your reply! I'll def load up on sunscreen!!

Paradise Park RV park doesn't allow pets, so that wasn't an option for us. I'm guessing we'll probably ride our bikes to the ferry from Meadowlark RV, then take the ferry across.

Now, have to figure out what route we'll take to get back east and back out to the left coast, and figure out how much time we'll have to do the whole trip. We'd love to take 2 months, but not sure that'll be possible.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
From Meadowlark park it is all dry land to the Fort. I was referring to the ferry from Jamestown which is also accessed by the bridge seen in our photos. This ferry service may have been just been for the festival or maybe summer schedule.

It is a ten minute drive to the parking area for the festival which is huge and if I owned a Sprinter would bring it along as back up. Naps, extra food clothes etc.

Paradise park was suitable as we were really there for the music but I would not be a return customer. On our departure the owner walked out to remind us in an impolite way that departure time was ten minutes ago. This is with trucks and trailers all hitched up, pulled out of the sites and ready to go. And off we went.

Gary
wbcci #3363
VAC - Region 1 vintage Club rep
New England unit
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
That's a great idea, to drive to the festival parking lot so that we can use it as a resting place throughout the day. I didn't even think of doing that! Thanks for the suggestion! We old peeps need our naps!
Old 05-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
We're starting the countdown to leaving on the big trip! Will probably leave in about 3 weeks.

Since we're both planning impaired, the only plans we have are Jackson Center on July 15, and Newport on July 24. What's the worst that can happen?!! We've got a bed and a toilet!!

I booked doggie boarding in Newport at The Gnarly Dog (in Narragansett) while we're at the Folk Festival. Looks like a nice place, and I spoke with the owner on the phone and it sounds like they'll be in good hands. I told her how good my pups are. I did NOT mention that Dax is also known as "Good Time Charlie" due to his love of humping.

Still have a bunch of things to do at home and to the RV before we leave!