Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Talking My long bit on the topic(s)

On AC noise @Pharmgeek,

I do not hear the compressor motor at all on my AC unit. The only indication that it is cycling is a light click sound and, you have to listen for that.

The biggest noise to me is the fan/blower. Remember those old motel units with the mechanism below the window? They were noisy too. Now they make a similarly designed unit for the same spot that is VERY quiet. A resort in Naples has them and they are quiet. It IS POSSIBLE to make something quieter.

@Thread topic and @Zigzag's comment on people,

Yes, Airstream quality is different. I believe it is mostly due to different materials. Did the older ones show evidence of mistakes during construction like the newer ones?

Also, consider the culture. I believe this addresses your point Zigzag on "people and generations." My father is a very loyal what I do represents me attitude with his work. Slower work but very methodical. He also often redesigns a part to be better if he notes weakness- that's his way. He has difficulty understanding why young people today are less committed to the task per se. I say it is because loyalty is gone. It is hard to expect much when a company does not care about you as is proven by the way they often dump workers for falsified reasons. Add to that some people are raised without having to pay for their own way completely and then the "value of a dollar" is lost and everything is more easy come easy go.

Even though this may seem all philosophical, it effects the way of life for people- the depth of their understanding, the experiences of the struggle to obtain, the perception of a free ride (handouts) and, the work ethic itself.

Personally, the peers that I am in contact with are different in many ways. My generation, the last of the Baby Boomers/almost Gen X are classified as indulgers. We are the live high toss it out crowd, as a whole. My parents came from larger families and I, an only child, was raised like they were by my fathers order. I had to buy everything myself. I paid for all of my college, my car, insurance etc. So, for me, work was not an option but, I will tell you that ALL of my friends had their college paid for or at least partially. Some even got cars and HOMES! I could go on but the point is that much of who a person is has to do with how they were raised and some other dynamics- other than just age. It is true that many of our young people are almost soul-less with regard to responsibility but it comes back to being taught. Airstream seems to portray the traditional company standards of loyal workers = traditional quality. We know they have a traditional product! Some things would be better to rethink/redesign- that is for sure.

I am so thankful to be able to own an Airstream, even an eight-year-old one and, I do not owe on it! It sure ain't new but it still is nice! I so admire those vintage streams that are taken care of. The materials used for construction are so beefy. Just like an old car. Look at an Auburn ugh, it oozes with quality. The same with us. We have so much to learn and share across generations. The young and dumb may not know that but there are some young people that will appreciate both quality and the older person who cares enough to share their wisdom. New is NOT Necessarily an upgrade- not when materials and other considerations are noted. In some cases, you cannot even upgrade and have the same thing:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	214894  
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #102
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Rodster, thanks for the comments, very insightful. Jim. Ps, my mother in law lives in Alva, on the river. Nice area, Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I assume if and when (or simply when) the "modern" electric macerater toilet in my unit fails to work I will be a wishing I had a manual one!!

Same for the fancy motorized doors on our minivan....etc and so on

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Guys, they were saying the same thing when they put in the wood/tar cased lead acid battery in the automobile and took away the hand crank. And when they took out the ice block tray AC in the Caddy and replaced it with a compressor and freon....and on....and on.

And they all talked about it on the internet(s)....wait, I forgot, that was just before AL Gore......

Chill baby!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
I assume if and when (or simply when) the "modern" electric macerater toilet in my unit fails to work I will be a wishing I had a manual one!!
Ha, that is when you have a choice $$$ or this:
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Not the same. Does a refrigerator or air conditioner or an oven with a computer really work better than the old ones without this stuff?

I don't think the case can really be made that they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Not the same. Does a refrigerator or air conditioner or an oven with a computer really work better than the old ones without this stuff?

I don't think the case can really be made that they do.

Don't have one of them there ovens...but my computerized washer/dryer is far superior to any old mechanical ones I've had.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Ha, that is when you have a choice $$$ or this:

hahahahahahahahahahaha.

I wonder what the demographic breakdown of new owers is....I imagine that 30's and 40's are a tiny fraction.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
ot the same. Does a refrigerator or air conditioner or an oven with a computer really work better than the old ones without this stuff?
Exactly. The argument is not against advancement or innovation but rather quality and perceived refinements. It is related to the price tag of new and the value of new/old. I do not believe there is an intent to bash new model owners either.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Newer is Not Necessarily an Upgrade

I recently spent two weeks making a 75 Sovereign habitable. All of the original stuff worked but the hot water heater and the A/C.

The water heater froze and broke, and the A/C had been replaced about 20 years prior with a Coleman. The Old Coleman however did work.

As does the stock Armstrong in my 72.....

Old 06-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
hahahahahahahahahahaha.

I wonder what the demographic breakdown of new owers is....I imagine that 30's and 40's are a tiny fraction.
Me too.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Newer is Not Necessarily an Upgrade

I have had one set of front loaders with computers. (One and a half actually when I foolishly replaced a broken front load washer with a replacement)

I hated them. (I really WANTED to like them though) They balled up my clothes, they made my clothes smell like sour milk, and the computer would blow about every 12 to 18 months.

I gave them to my son and bought the last of the pre Whirlpool buyout top load Maytags...

No regrets with the top load Maytags, and for me a perfect illustration of how new and improved often ain't an improvement.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #113
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I think we should all meet a predetermined location and sit around a campfire and forget what we do not havein common and talk about what we do. Wait, cannot do that, I amso old I will fall asleep before we start talking, and the youngsters will not be there because it is too early! Oh well, such is life. Jim
Old 06-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
I think we should all meet a predetermined location and sit around a campfire and forget what we do not havein common and talk about what we do. Wait, cannot do that, I amso old I will fall asleep before we start talking, and the youngsters will not be there because it is too early! Oh well, such is life. Jim
Yeah, but then we'd have to find consensus on whether them new fangled beer cans with the dual pop tops are an improvement over the old pull tabs from the 60's.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #115
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
So a warning will notify the driver that the window is down in case it rains. You know, not enough sense to get out of the rain. Senders that turn on headlights and wipers. All common sense things that today's people have to be told to do. We raised em, and we are paying for it now. Jim
You have hit the nail on the head!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #116
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
As long as they are not electric, I am in! Jim
Old 06-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #117
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Yeah, but then we'd have to find consensus on whether them new fangled beer cans with the dual pop tops are an improvement over the old pull tabs from the 60's.
I thought the new fangled ones you pushed in the small button first.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, ya know, that dual hole is for the young kids who want to shotgun a beer without any effort at all with carrying a pointy can opener and punching their own hole in the bottom of the can. What kind of lazy generation have we produced anyway!

Old 06-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #119
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I have had one set of front loaders with computers. (One and a half actually when I foolishly replaced a broken front load washer with a replacement)

I hated them. (I really WANTED to like them though) They balled up my clothes, they made my clothes smell like sour milk, and the computer would blow about every 12 to 18 months.

I gave them to my son and bought the last of the pre Whirlpool buyout top load Maytags...

No regrets with the top load Maytags, and for me a perfect illustration of how new and improved often ain't an improvement.

Exactly why I waited 3 months for a replacement transmission for my 15 year old Frigidaire laundry center. The new ones have crappy reviews and poor maintenance records. FWIW it is actually badged Kenmore and they wanted nothing to do with it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Exactly why I waited 3 months for a replacement transmission for my 15 year old Frigidaire laundry center. The new ones have crappy reviews and poor maintenance records. FWIW it is actually badged Kenmore and they wanted nothing to do with it.

Aaron
Exactly why I like my new one....no transmission...only a huge brushless PM motor that spins so high a speed that the dryer cycle time almost matches the wash cycle time. Saves energy both ways.

I was always replacing/rebuilding transmissions and cleaning/replacing relays switches and timers on the old stuff. Mine are almost 8 years old and the only thing I have done is put a tub suspension spring back on when it popped off.
They are top-loaders from Australia (unfortunately). A big improvement over conventional top loaders of the prior generations.