Old 06-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Switz has some of the same issues I have on my 2013 built in June 2012, purchased October 16, 2012. I would have thought after many conversations with me they would have addressed these isues.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:49 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Why would anyone buy a new coach from A$ after reading the above?
Is it because they are shiny?
Oh! That's right. We use shiny objects to catch fish.
It's nice to look at. But that hook $$$$ can be really painful.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:26 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Newer is Not Necessarily an Upgrade

People seldom write in forums when things are just fine. This is just the way it is.

This being the case, a person reading a forum like this is probably going to infer a negative bias.

I am not saying that the problems reported here are not real, they do however likely lack balance.

I know that these trailers are expensive and they are rightly expected to be perfect, but reality says they wont be. These trailers are made in too small numbers to be truly mass produced like a car would be built and too many are built for them to be hand crafted. They fall into a kind of hole. ( ya follow me here )

Added to this the all of the gadgetry that people want these days is prone to break more often than the simple stuff, and to boot the installation of this stuff steals time from the fundamental build.

I get you on the QC inspections, I am sure they could do better, but again,, reality....

Say an installer breaks something.

Does he always know he broke it?

If he does know he broke something is he going to fess up or hide it and send the trailer down the line? I say some of each depending on the installer.

Does the QC guy take the trailer apart to make sure nothing is broken and then put everything back together?

Can there be a QC guy standing behind every employee all the time? I

Outsourced parts are going to be an issue too. With any component the same issues will apply to it as the trailer in general.

Things are seldom as simple as we would like them to be.

Fit and finish would probably be better if these trailers interiors were made of mass produced injection molded plastic like modern cars.

Everything has a trade off. The reason cars are made of plastic is because they are easier to assemble. Who wants a plastic Airstream?

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:47 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
[QUOTE=Added to this the all of the gadgetry that people want these days is prone to break more often than the simple stuff, and to boot the installation of this stuff steals time from the fundamental build.

I get you on the QC inspections, I am sure they could do better, but again,, reality....

Say an installer breaks something.

Does he always know he broke it?

If he does know he broke something is he going to fess up or hide it and send the trailer down the line? I say some of each depending on the installer. [/QUOTE]

There are alternatives: encourage the installer to report problems and fix them. This is more difficult in mass-produced consumer goods than in some industrial areas, but there is a lot of "talk" about quality, and some companies actually manage to produce quality products. The company would have to commit to a quality product and then train the line employees to do it right, stop the line when it is not right, and actually reward that attitude.

I don't think the shareholders would like that in the short run.In the long run it does pay off, but these days the "long run" is about 2 or 3 quarters.

It is a systemic issue, and: does anyone have a reasonable solution to propose?
Old 06-25-2014, 12:52 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Training is not going to keep an employee from hiding a series of screw ups to the effect of saving his or her job.

This is reality. A good boss who builds a good relationship with his employees can greatly reduce these occurrences, but not stop them.

Sometimes people will hide things even when no one would be angry with them. This is part of group dynamics.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:05 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Oh, i totally agree with you about companies not really giving a damn about the long term.

This has much to do with the hired gun style of management where when things turn bad management retires and leaves the mess for the next guy, and so on, and so on, and so on...... Until at the end of the line the company comes to the taxpayer for a bail out because of their run of "bad luck ".... (at which point management gets a bonus)

Old 06-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
I have an old (not vintage, old) 1990 25' Excella that my wife and I have fallen in love with. A few months ago I was looking at someones 2013 something or other and he made the off-handed comment, "When you're ready to upgrade...". It was a well intended comment but the inherent assumption was set in concrete: newer is an upgrade.

It ain't necessarily so Joe. I like my old used trailer better than I like new ones. I don't want a new one. It would be a downgrade for me personally to trade for a newer one.

Nothing at all against the newer ones - they're beautiful and shiny and I really like them. I just like my old homely and not-so-shiny one better. Now something from the 60's, that would be an upgrade.
Poppy

I couldn't agree more, over the years, we've owned three Airstreams, (all 30 footers). Over a period of a couple years, we gradually get them to the point of being very comfortable for us. Then, it seems the we (usually me) get bored without something to do, so we sell it and buy another one.
It's fun to see the new ones, then incorporate some of the new ideas into our "old" one....
Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
Perhaps you could staple $60k to the walls and call it an upgrade

I kiiid I kiiiiid. I'm sure he meant nothing by it but I can certainly see where it could rub you the wrong way.

I've run into a few people with newer Airstreams that have been snobbish but far more that have loved talking about my renovated '78 and taking the tour. It's the few snobs that give Airstreamers a bad name as elitists. Don't let them get you down though.

For whatever it's worth, that exactly why we cancelled our membership in Wally's Club. The chapter we were involved with, got to the point, where, unless you were one of the "selected few", you were treated very badly, to the point of being insulted.
After a year of that we were done.....
We still like the Airstreams, and will continue to, but enough is enough.
For whatever it's worth.
Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Old 06-25-2014, 08:34 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I find the only thing not upgraded are the new AS owners. Many lack the common sense and life experiences of new owners of a different era. AS is catering to these new owners and hence the decline in quality and common sense in the building of the units. All the shiny and electronic junk on the new units grab these new owners and get them to buy. The trailers have declined in quality as have the new owners. I know, I am just a fossil, but I believe this is true. Many of you will agree, but few will admit it. Not meant to insult any individuals, just the younger generations in general. No fault of their own, we raised them to be the way they are! Jim
Old 06-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I was overtly mocked last summer by a man pulling a newish Bambi with his green Honda Pilot last summer as I was leaving on my first trip out.... By yelling across the fuel island.....

I hadn't done anything to the outside of the trailer at this point so it was a little ugly..... I knew it was ugly outside but I didn't much care that I. Was pulling an ugly trailer. My guess is that this guy wouldn't be caught dead pulling an ugly trailer. My trailer was quite comfortable inside, that is what mattered to me.

I wonder if this guy is a forum member?

My observation is that in general, that the new AS people and the old AS people are cut from different cloth. If one is better than the other, well this depends on the individual not their choice in the vintage of trailers.

Anyway IMO a big factor in whether the AS made today will live to get old will be impeded by the needless complexity that will be difficult to maintain. I.e. electric toilets, computer controlled appliances, etc. Does your oven really need a computer?
Usually, when I meet somebody like you have descibed, I ask myself, "is this A**H***, trying to impress me, or himself?"
Some people have low esteme, that is their problem, not mine...

For whatever it's worth.

Larry

Old 06-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Most of the time these days I just let stuff like that go..... simply resting on the the 99 to 1 odds that I could own this shallow person in a "discussion"..

Old 06-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Wow. Who knew you had to have an older Airstream to be "cool".
I have found most AS folks to be just regular people. Some can be hard to take, but no more so than the general population.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Newer is Not Necessarily an Upgrade

There are snobs on both sides of that line.

There are a lot of folks on the vintage side that look down on the Sovereigns that I own and like.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
For whatever it's worth, that exactly why we cancelled our membership in Wally's Club. The chapter we were involved with, got to the point, where, unless you were one of the "selected few", you were treated very badly, to the point of being insulted.
After a year of that we were done.....
We still like the Airstreams, and will continue to, but enough is enough.
For whatever it's worth.
Larry
Sad, but unfortunately true. While I've never been a member of the "club", I've met more than my share of folks with newer Airstreams across the southeast who've attempted to assert their affluence over me and my poor 78.

My favorite was a recently retired couple in a 16' Bambi who spouted off a constant stream of self congratulations and arrogance while showing pity for the guy with the shiny, but old, 31' monstrosity.

Of note, I find the annoying ones to be typically baby boomers (ducking as I type this). The older (65-80) crowd typically respects and loves checking out the restored Sovereign, while the 55-65 group tends to be the "proud", shall we say, group.

I laugh it off in any case and am perfectly content with my "vintage" baby. I get why membership in the WBCCI is down, though.