Old 08-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #351
2 Rivet Member
2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Newer is an upgrade????

Newer diesels are complete crap compared to the 30+yr old Isuzu TD I have in my 310.

Newer classic motorhomes had OSB board floors instead of marine plywood.

Newer trailers have all the amenities but no lasting quality. How many slabsides will last or are designed to last over 10 years?

Newer appliances are far more prone to fall apart that old ones, (Maytag should have never sold out to the big boys).

New furniture is far worse quality than old vintage furniture, (I'm a cabinetmaker, so I should know).

New cars are better in ride, handling, acceleration and gas economy BUT I'll take a good Caprice Classic over something new any day, (I at least know how to fix, as they have no sensors).

I could go on and on. Newer doesn't mean better.

Companies like Airstream have been decontenting for years. If you can see it, it's all blinged out and nice; if you can't see it or touch it, it's crap and the cheapest material they can buy.

Keep the devil you know as opposed to spending big bucks on the devil you don't.

PS I'm in my late 40's and have had enough of throwing crap away….That's why I bought my 1983 310 turbo diesel. It will last forever. Or at least outlast me.

I don't necessarily agree re diesels. My 2007 Duramax is quiet, powerful, doesn't smell and never gives me any trouble (200,000 miles). I also really like and use navigation, satellite radio, seat heaters and coolers, automatic high beams, automatic wipers etc. The good old days are not necessarily better!

Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #352
Rivet Master
2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
For sure, rain sensing wipers, auto high beam control, nice entities to have, but having owned several vehicles with these, I think I prefer to control these myself. But, my navigation, Sirius radio, works just fine in my 2008. And, I run two nav systems, one with data readout to keep me entertained while driving. Also, CB radio is on board for the traffic stoppages which occasionally occur.
As I primarily travel without a companion I need lots of "extra" stuff. Also, a heads up navigation is preferred by me vs the " in dash" units of most current tow vehicles. My typical day towing can be from 500 up to 700 miles, spread out over 12 - 14 hours.
Having said all this, I do find myself looking lonely at the new trucks.... Who knows....LOL

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB

Happy trails and Good Luck
Ms Tommie Fantine Lauer, Greensboro, NC
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #353
Rivet Master
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Under the Surface

I'm in the midst of a number of projects making small modifications to my 25 year old trailer to suit the way my wife and I use it. This has caused me to dig into parts of the trailer that I hadn't seen before - and that are probably seen by only a small percentage of owners. Some perceptions have changed since I started this thread - here are a few random observations as a result of my projects:

o Newer is not necessarily better, but it is newer.
I know, this seems awfully obvious, and it probably won't win a Nobel, but just about everything in a 25 year old trailer is 25 years old. Often worn and dirty. I love to refurbish or restore old stuff. Sometimes the item is of sufficient quality to do that, othertimes just better to replace with new. Which leads us to quality...

o Overall quality of components seems low
Airstreams probably hold their own with other RVs, but that appears to be an industry with a low bar. Many of the parts are of lower quality than an average replacement part from a Big Box store. As one comparison, I have restored many vintage Porsches (1960-1973) and the difference in parts quality in those and Airstreams is vast. Maybe a bad comparison, different eras and different industries, but the Porsche parts make the AS parts look like junk.

o Cost of replacement parts is low
Even given the disparity in quality, I'm continually pleasantly surprised by how inexpensive even genuine AS parts are compared to Porsche parts. You really get gouged in the Porsche world while pricing seems very fair in the AS world.

o Overall quality of workmanship seems low
Can't even begin to compare with the earlier Porsches. Things seems to get pretty shoddy pretty quickly as you get below the surface. I suspect that's another example of the low level of quality in the RV industry and not unique to AS.

Interesting having an opportunity to experience and observe products from two different industries beneath the surface layer. The overall sense I get with the AS is that expediency trumps craftsmanship.

This isn't intended to be a jeremiad - these are just observations after digging into the trailer over the past couple of weeks. I still love my trailer and I admire the way that it's well built enough in important ways to still function well at 25 years of age.

John & Vicki
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #354
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
My trailer,,, um,, my wife's trailer is 42,,, the stock parts still in place amount to;

Armstrong a/c
Propane tanks & bracket
Window screens
Exterior shell
Interior aluminum skin
Leveling jacks
Fresh water tank

Nothing else

The fixtures and stuff were for sure "RV", meaning they seemed kinda cheap, but they did last a long time.

When I went back together I found the most simple "residential" stuff that fit my needs and wants.

But on the other hand, much of the old stuff is still functioning in my 75 that my brother in law is living in except the hot water heater that froze and broke. The a/c in the 75 was changed out for a Coleman some time ago, and there is a 90s vintage refrigerator in this trailer.
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #355
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
I will say amazing the difference in quality between my 3 Airstreams I've owned and my RV Motorcoach....

John "JFScheck" Scheck
2014 Itasca Solei 34T in Red Maple
Freightliner XCS Chassis with Cummins 6.7 ISB & Allison MH Transmission
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote