Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #261
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
GM, Ford, and Chrysler automatics were VERY smooth and pretty darn reliable pre computer era. Just a fact

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #262
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
"My point is that not all of the young purchasers of new AS are useless snobs with a cheque book."

I suspect there are some owners that are quite wealthy....wealthy enough lets say to take little responsibility with maintenance...and can afford even expensive repairs.

That is not me at all, but I have budgeted emergency expenditures for big repairs once out of the warranty period and being that I am not all that much of a "handy man" at all....

But we could extend a request to not belittle those who are less able to repair things who can afford to pay folks to do the repairs?

My dad was an aircraft mechanic and auto mechanic most of his life, but because my parents seperated early in my life, those skills were not handed to me...instead I am a pharmacology geek and if push comes to shuv, ill just have to pay someone for various sorts of repairs...

I am not ashamed of that...I try and do alot of stuff on my own...but for people who have alot of money to pay others to do the work....I would not look down on them either - live it up

So far I have met many airstream owners of all sorts of backgrounds...so far all of them have seemed very friendly!

We are loving it...airstreaming that is...almost 1 year in and having a blast...dealing with a few quality issues here and there...I take it in stride...wish they had better quality in some areas, but I knew about these things with previous research and I am making it my own....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #263
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Working on things is not something that every person wants to do, it is about that simple.

It is good that people are different. If we were all the same it would be pretty boring.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #264
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I don't want to work on or renovate anything, but I'm glad some folks do.
That's why 70% of all Airstreams built are still on the road.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #265
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I'm frankly getting a little bored with my AS. I've pretty well modded everything I want to, upgraded most everything I want to, and improved all the inadequacies I can think of. Guess I need a vintage unit now???

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #266
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I'm frankly getting a little bored with my AS. I've pretty well modded everything I want to, upgraded most everything I want to, and improved all the inadequacies I can think of. Guess I need a vintage unit now???
Or swing through CT and help me install my dream internal bike racks :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #267
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
GM, Ford, and Chrysler automatics were VERY smooth and pretty darn reliable pre computer era. Just a fact

Heated steering wheels are a joke, give me a brand new 1965 Galaxie 500 or other older cars of the 50's or 60"s. With todays lubricants and a waxoyl treatment or gavalume treated body before the factory paint it would be a great car.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #268
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
In 65 that Galaxy would have sold at about a dollar a pound and would have weighed a lot less than a new Camaro......

Old 07-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #269
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Wow, this thread is getting interesting. First, on my new Airstream, I have installed my "homemade" step covers, the huge bubble level at the front of the coach, two towel hooks, broom retainer, and will be moving the bedroom TV up about 24 inches…so I an see it when lying in bed.

I do a lot of "engineering" on my projects, and spend a lot of time making as certain as I can be that the job is done correctly. Rarely do i have anything done on my trailers which I can do myself.

As to "fly by wire" throttle control on cars…. horrid in the early days, huge lag, and today they have in my Subaru a slow throttle close issue which i think they have programmed in to avoid a sudden change in the drive train.

But, as noted, all the stability systems, braking assist, etc., would not be possible with a mechanical throttle. I currently have two cars with manual transmissions, one truck with an automatic.

Maybe satellite radio is progress, but a lot of the new is not in many cases.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:08 AM   #270
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
I've read through most of the first couple pages of this thread (until it was side-tracked a few times) and I must say that several of the original posts OT have slightly turned me off purchasing my first AS. My wife and I are busy professionals (I'm 40 and my wife is 39). We have been camping in various ways for years and have an 8yo son. We recently went from a tent to a hybrid trailer and discovered quickly that we wanted something different. After looking at the common white box models we decided to look at AS (which I have admired for years) and we both fell in love. Our intention is to purchase new....not because it was "shiny" but because we don't have time to take on a project and wish to enjoy it immediately. We also prefer the updated interiors and amenities. My impression was that the entire community would be open-armed regardless of model and it would be a unique informal club (vintage and late model alike) that I would be joining. However, the mentality (from many vintage owners) that new purchasers are all snobby elitist that don't know what a crescent wrench is....is disappointing. My wife and I are busy and have made a good life for ourselves through hard work and schooling. I'm in the I.T. industry but regularly wrench my own car, do all my own properties landscaping and perform various "handyman" tasks to keep my home running. I'm sure I'lll be plenty capable of performing the same tasks on my trailer....computer, electronic, mechanically or otherwise. My point is that not all of the young purchasers of new AS are useless snobs with a cheque book. Being able to afford an AS isn't an automatic predetermination of a persons skills/values/attitude. I'll be the first to approach ANYONE with ANY unique or interesting trailer (or even tent setup) to start up a conversation and chat about our shared love of camping. It's about the camping after all ...the places you go, the experiences and the time with your family. Just because someone can afford a slightly nicer/newer atmosphere to sleep in doesn't change those facts.
Well said!
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #271
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I wonder what lawyers are going to do when these systems fail to prevent accidents?

Old 07-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #272
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
They are going to get rich. Remember the fiasco with Toyota a couple of years ago? With so called run away cars.
Some blame was put on floor mats. But could it have been faulty communications to the computer? Cause by some electrical or radio interference. Who knows!
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:54 AM   #273
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
I've read through most of the first couple pages of this thread (until it was side-tracked a few times) and I must say that several of the original posts OT have slightly turned me off purchasing my first AS. My wife and I are busy professionals (I'm 40 and my wife is 39). We have been camping in various ways for years and have an 8yo son. We recently went from a tent to a hybrid trailer and discovered quickly that we wanted something different. After looking at the common white box models we decided to look at AS (which I have admired for years) and we both fell in love. Our intention is to purchase new....not because it was "shiny" but because we don't have time to take on a project and wish to enjoy it immediately. We also prefer the updated interiors and amenities. My impression was that the entire community would be open-armed regardless of model and it would be a unique informal club (vintage and late model alike) that I would be joining. However, the mentality (from many vintage owners) that new purchasers are all snobby elitist that don't know what a crescent wrench is....is disappointing. My wife and I are busy and have made a good life for ourselves through hard work and schooling. I'm in the I.T. industry but regularly wrench my own car, do all my own properties landscaping and perform various "handyman" tasks to keep my home running. I'm sure I'lll be plenty capable of performing the same tasks on my trailer....computer, electronic, mechanically or otherwise. My point is that not all of the young purchasers of new AS are useless snobs with a cheque book. Being able to afford an AS isn't an automatic predetermination of a persons skills/values/attitude. I'll be the first to approach ANYONE with ANY unique or interesting trailer (or even tent setup) to start up a conversation and chat about our shared love of camping. It's about the camping after all ...the places you go, the experiences and the time with your family. Just because someone can afford a slightly nicer/newer atmosphere to sleep in doesn't change those facts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Well said!
Larry
I'm with Larry - VERY WELL SAID -

We purchased an (almost new) unit and in no way does that make me some type of useless snob. I'm more than capable of looking after my unit in house.

All this means is I have the ability (after a lifetime of work) to prioritize some funds toward something I want. If people think that makes me elitist - it only shows how shallow some peoples thought process can be.
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #274
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Older is sometimes not better.....

Old 07-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #275
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Newer is Not Necessarily an Upgrade

The Toyota thing.....

I always wondered why the drivers of these run away cars didn't just reach down and throw the car in neutral or simply turn the key off......

Technology can and often does make things safer, but it also tends to lull drivers to be less attentive and less attuned to the machine they are operating.

Put another way, all of this crash avoidance stuff will make people feel safer while texting and driving.......

I cant say that even the "old" technology of antilock brakes has made driving safer for me as I have never had to lock down my brakes prior to antilock, and I have had two instances where I NEEDED my antilock brakes to lock but I was left helpless as far as braking.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #276
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I haven't checked. But I don't think you can turn the key off if not in neutral or park.
I will check it on my Tundra and see what happens.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #277
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
I admittedly haven't kept up with this thread, but I assure you that's not how I feel. I could have afforded to purchase new (I'm also 40 and in the IT field) and chose to go vintage because I actually WANTED the project.

I've had many FANTASTIC conversations with people with new Airstreams and a handful of jerks with elitist attitudes.

I guess my point is you're going to have "bad apples" in any situation, don't let them ruin it for you. Owning an AS is an automatic conversation starter wherever you park and you'll be part of a really cool community with thousands of great people willing to help and a few idiots.

I'll take those odds all day.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #278
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
A holes come in all segments and income brackets.

This just is.

Some people like old, some like new, each category has its advantages and disadvantages.

Some people like to work on their own stuff and some people don't.

Some folks take care with their purchases and others just use them like tools.

The best advise I could give people buying new is to research and get a trailer with options that are actually reliable and add tangible value.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #279
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
The Toyota thing.....

I always wondered why the drivers of these run away cars didn't just reach down and throw the car in neutral or simply turn the key off......

Technology can and often does make things safer, but it also tends to lull drivers to be less attentive and less attuned to the machine they are operating.

Put another way, all of this crash avoidance stuff will make people feel safer while texting and driving.......

I cant say that even the "old" technology of antilock brakes has made driving safer for me as I have never had to lock down my brakes prior to antilock, and I have had two instances where I NEEDED my antilock brakes to lock but I was left helpless as far as braking.

The ignition switch on some new cars are not the same as the older ones, it is wired to the computer not the batt and solenoid. You are at the mercy of the computer. If an electro magnetic pulse takes out the computer there is no way to get a newer car working, its worthless.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #280
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
As a matter of safety there should ALWAYS be a fail safe manner of turning off an engine, period...

Seems like common sense to me, but I guess what do I know?