Old 06-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #155
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Why would anyone want to control their toilet via tablet?
It might be kind of handy to have an app on the tablet to flush the toilet. While sitting there reading the ebook on the Ipad I could just hit the "flush icon" and keep right on reading.

Like many of you the older I get less I like technology. Just too much of a pain to keep up with it all - it ends up that I spend more time trying to keep up with the latest technology than really saving me time in life. I hate having computer boards on all the trailer appliances but it does make things easier and safer when it comes to the gas appliances.

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #156
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
That is what I said. The only way these drugs can kill you is if you take them. Or if someone else is taking them and they kill you. Jim

Old 06-26-2014, 07:49 AM   #157
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I need a like button...

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:54 AM   #158
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
That is what I said. The only way these drugs can kill you is if you take them. Or if someone else is taking them and they kill you. Jim
Your right, but what about a doctor that receives incentives from drug company's, writes you a prescription? Do you take the Lipitor or not?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Those cute gals carrying the drug bag to the doctors office to pitch the latest unnecessary drug are earning a commission for every successful sale. The docs get free trips or other spiffs if they prescribe a specific medicine.

I was about to get a tooth pulled, so was given a 'script for a new whiz bang antibiotic. It cost me $85 (no drug coverage) for 28 pills and no one at that office ever knew what that specific drug costs until I told them. They were surprised. My contribution to the corporate jet...

Getting back to Airstream, when at the factory this past January, they were putting a blue colored tape on the outside edge of each rib (and perhaps the horizontal frame members as well) and Don, the tour leader for many years, stated it was insulation to try and reduce some of the thermal transfer of either hot or cold to the ribs and thus to the inner skin.

Those of us with ozite (mouse fur) on the walls have that as a small barrier to the cold as contrasted to the bare aluminum walls (starting in 2015 all models will have bare walls, even the Classic) so turning over in your sleep and touching the wall on a cold night would not awaken one.

The only thing that I have seen in the 2015 Classic video by Patrick at Colonial that made sense was the factory finally putting the Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires and SenDell T03-66555T wheels on that coach. From reading this forum, I knew to swap the tires and wheels immediately after getting our trailer off the dealership lot and parked in our storage unit.

The electric dinette post to raise and lower the table, the electric mechanism to raise and lower the queen bed (do not know if twin beds will even be an option), the electric support jacks and the electric awning are all things the are glitz and could be problematic before the trailer even gets used (especially the power awnings that are shorting out on the dealer lots due to the lack of a $0.50 grommet where the wire comes through the skin under the lift arms).

As a concession to even more profit, the Classic looses the wall and ceiling covering and gets cherry stained alder for cabinets, Any dent from use will show the white wood underneath.

Despite the current issues I am dealing with in our Classic, I realize that we will fix what we have as we go along as it is now non-replaceable with the same interior of solid Hickory wood, which we love.

My wife will, just out of the blue and with great animation, suddenly brighten say how much she loves our new trailer. If Momma is happy.......

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #160
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
As a point of reference here, I have an electric macerator built into the toilet of my Unity and it makes emptying the black water tank a lot easier. As to the electric awning, it beats the hell out of fighting the ZeeDee on my Safari, especially with a bad shoulder. At 160 posts, it's evident that nothing is going to change minds here. I have three Model A's and a 1960 Thunderbird in my garage/shop and they are fun to drive. However, the 2013 GC is a lot more comfortable. The only concession I'll make to the older is better crowd is the fact that my 1985 Avion is a better built unit than my '06 Safari.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #161
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
You are under no obligation to take any drug prescribed for you. It is your decision alone and any doctor that does not agree with that is wrong. Get a different doctor.this is way off topic. Jim
Old 06-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #162
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
To keep this discussion on track remember the title of the thread - "Newer is Not Necessarily an Upgrade". A lot of newer is an upgrade and older is not always better.

After spending over 25 years in a technology environment I confess to being in a bit of a reactionary mode as technology gallops along. New technology can be very seductive though. I think one of the things that has affected my perception of it has been the time I have spent around Porsches built in the 50's, 60's and early 70's. It was a period of form follows function with the engineers in charge; the cars were largely handbuilt using high quality materials; no computers were used in the cars systems; most everything was mechanical; the culture was described by the authoritative book covering the era, "Excellence Was Expected". The cars are a pleasure to look at, a pleasure to work on and, most of all, a pleasure to drive.

I'm not as enthusiastic about newer Porsches - and certainly don't consider them to be an upgrade. They're slick and pretty and run circles around the older ones. But they're machine made using a lot of plastic, the systems are computerized, even the driving is computerized. If a cars job is to get the driver down the road and around curves quickly, they do a much better job than the older ones. If a cars job is to engage the driver and be fun to drive then the older cars do a better job.

So is newer an upgrade? A lot of it depends on you and what makes your duck quake.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #163
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
When it comes to Porsche, the elephant in the room is the federal mandates for cars and trucks that dictate new technology having to do with safety and emissions.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #164
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Upgrades. I was just on my daily bicycle ride when I was run off the sidewalk by a twenty something young lady riding no handed while texting. She would have hit me head on if I had not swerved. She just missed my wife. Never stopped. Here the part about upgrades. I guess she upgraded her bicycle with the latest in cell phone technology. Almost got us both in the hospital! Jim
Old 06-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #165
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Upgrades. I was just on my daily bicycle ride when I was run off the sidewalk by a twenty something young lady riding no handed while texting. She would have hit me head on if I had not swerved. She just missed my wife. Never stopped. Here the part about upgrades. I guess she upgraded her bicycle with the latest in cell phone technology. Almost got us both in the hospital! Jim
Did you zig or zag?

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #166
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Both, and as quickly as I could. The zag almost got me though, got hung up on the edge of sidewalk and had to boogie to get straight again. Jim
Old 06-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #167
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If I say that a mark of truly improving technology is simplicity in use, reliability, and an increase in real value dollar for dollar, is the technology being employed in RV's on a par with a smartphone?

Why did the Blackberry fall while the iPhone rose?

Old 06-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #168
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Newer is Not Necessarily an Upgrade

Emissions....

Don't get me started.

If X amount of dollars were spent to get the first 98% clean, is it right to spend twice that amount to get the next 1%?

Common sense has to play somewhere, at some point we have to expect a reasonable return on an investment.

Government mandate is blind to common sense, it is all about appeal to emotion.

In the 90s when computer controlled engines had come into their own, add on emission equipment was being eliminated while these vehicles produced a fraction of the emissions they had only a decade and a half before.

An agenda with a mandate knows no common sense boundaries.

Last night I went to dinner with my parents. When my mom ordered a drink she was asked for I.D. For reference, I am pushing 50.