Old 08-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
NEWBIES GUIDE to Airstreaming by Rich Luhr

After eight wonderful years of pleasure and a few moments of endurance with our 2006 23 foot Safari, we were able to part with our first trailer. The new owner will enjoy our well maintained Safari for years into the future.

Going to a 25 foot AS International will take some getting use to. More room. More fresh water capacity. More refrigerator. Just plain more... as well as the initial price. As we discovered with our 2006, the purchase price and the resale price was in the 70% to 75%. I consider that a great investment for ANY trailer. We had three buyers. The first purchased it. A second had to hear the bad news after a 24 hour waiting period to close the deal. And, closed the deal we did and promptly had room in our RV fitted garage!

Many things have changed. LED lights were immediately discovered. The "car" radio that never turns off was a challenge to figure out. Back to the manuals.

While browsing service manuals... a wonderful discovery.

Rich Luhr who is also the editor and publisher of the Airstream Life Magazine which many of you may be aware, wrote a 98 page booklet for "Newbies". Newbies...? This booklet should be a required rite of passage into Airstreaming... period! It was well written and covered controversial subjects as grey and black water disposal very well.

This booklet should be standard reading for friends, guests and ALL new and fairly new Airstream owners. I am not one to go on gushing about anything. I am a Missouri Mule stuck in the high country of the USA and in the thin air one can kick up plenty of dust and sage brush. This is one of those times I took to a saddle and have nothing to complain, nit pick or just plain rubbing against a barbed wire fence for pleasure.

There is no price on this spiral bound 8vo book, but it will be well worth the small investment. Rich... your 1000 days in your Airstream paid off in more than one way. Thank you for sharing your well thought out advice!

ISBN: 978-0-9833458-0-0 (Canadian ISBN) The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming: "The quick way to become an expert Airstream traveler", 2013- First Edition: Church Street Publishing, 411 Walnut Street, #4468, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043

Old 08-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
San Luis Obispo , California
Send a message via AIM to waltb Send a message via Skype™ to waltb
I agree, a great book. We went from a 20' to a 2014 25' too, after our first long trip we are very happy. We gave a copy of the book to the new owner of our previous trailer.

You mentioned the Pioneer radio that won't turn off - I solved it today, after a bit of time on the internet.

If you adjust your radio to turn off the stupid demo setting, it will go to a clock if you hold the Source (SRC) button (upper left) for several seconds. Then the Display (DSP) button on the lower right will turn everything off! I couldn't find this in the poorly written manual though, maybe it's there but I couldn't find it.

I hope it works for you and others with the Pioneer radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

waltb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Ray, if you have the Sony radio, I can help you turn it off, and if you bought new, you most certainly have the "dancing lights" that are annoying.

If you'll look closely at the radio's panel, there IS an on/off switch in the upper left corner. You must hold it down for a bit to turn it off, but it does turn off.

And if you've got the light display, look up "Demo Mode" in the manual, and it will tell you how to turn it off.

http://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The second edition of the Newbie's Guide is in process. There have been many changes in Airstreams since that book was put together. If anybody has any suggestions about what would be nice to see in the second edition, you can give Rich an email or PM, and let him know.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rochester , Minnesota
I bought this book about a month before we took delivery of our 2014 and realized one was included. I don't regret paying for the first one. Great, pointed advice.

If I only had a dollar for every time I got distracted, I wish I had a puppy.
LucaBluPlus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:45 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
Correct!! This is truly a great book. I found a copy with all the manuals from my 2014 FC 25. I didn't put it down for two full weeks. Great reading and well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
Old 09-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Walt's Pioneer radio fix taking the Demo off, and now we can turn the radio on and off... at will. Rich might want to add this tip, as the technical service at Pioneer were no help at all... Thank you!
Old 09-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Rich had a comment about filling the water tank and it would have minimal impact... Maybe on flat interstate, but not in the Rockies! Thought I would give it a test and it cost about 20% in gas mileage going "up and down" and finding very few "flat" roads.

Although, on I-80 going West and I-25 going north to Montana the wind had NO EFFECT on the trailer with a full tank of fresh water and hot water tank! That had to be worth something.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
I love this book so much I've read it twice. Right now it is the closest I can come to owning an Airstream. In fact I've read everything out there, but this is a fav. By the time I actually own one, I think I might be well prepared.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Airstream is an IDEA that you need not own...

Tomy... You have started the Dream. That is the first step to buying an Airstream or any other travel trailer.

Take this idea of owning any kind of travel trailer and what you would want to do. This will be the inspiration that will get you to put some extra time at a job and begin your Travel Trailer Savings Account. A three to ten year old Airstream is still an excellent value for a late model trailer. You must first understand the length of a trailer will determine the second domino to fall... and that would be the Tow Vehicle.

I would read this book again and again until you FEEL right about what your travel trailer should be. Length. Single or double axle. Accessories... and so on. List them. Take Mr. Luhr's comments to heart.

Airstreams, as you and I already know, are pricey. They do have an excellent return percentage of your original cost, when you want to sell. So the purchase price is not a 100% loss. The purchase is not an investment but a lifestyle of traveling. Airstream is the elite of the towed travel trailers and recognized anywhere in the world.

When your idea becomes reality... we all want to hear your story and how you made the selection. We all began with the... idea.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Providence , Rhode Island
I agree. It's a great book & reference guide. Hopefully I will be well versed when I'm able to purchase my AS.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

APPLETON , Wisconsin
I found a used copy on eBay and read it cover to cover when I got it in the mail last week. I don't yet own an Airstream, but I can see how this book would be a good reference guide.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #13
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYS View Post
I found a used copy on eBay and read it cover to cover when I got it in the mail last week. I don't yet own an Airstream, but I can see how this book would be a good reference guide.
You don't need to have an Airstream to appreciate this book. It is very appropriate for RVing in general.