Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I'm on my fourth RV Trailer now and all four of them have workmanship issues.
So called 'American Workmanship' ain't what it used to be and nothing to brag about.
Your workers need to learn from Japanese and other Asians, who years ago learned from YOU!
Having said that; AS warranties are good, and in my 'neck of the woods' CanAm is absolutely super at treating the customer right.
My current FC came from the factory pretty good , with only a couple of minor snags that CanAm addressed to my satisfaction
(I'm a retired aircraft tech.)
Don't expect American products to meet the Asians standards. Just accept That the dealers are there to keep you on the road and happy.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
We're in the Seattle area & drove our 2015 Forest River 32 ft 5th wheel to Los Banos, CA, to trade it in on a 2016 AS 27 FB at Toscano RV, which had given us the best price both on the AS & on the trade-in among a dozen+ AS dealers throughout the US. We arrived on a Friday & turned over the 5th wheel to them. They offered to let us stay in the AS over the weekend. On Monday, they went through the walk-through of the AS. We mentioned several issues to fix. They fixed them without problems. We drove the AS back home. (Way to go, Toscano!!!)

Recently, we returned from a 9K mile, 6 week trip to the WV rally. Somewhere in the Wisconsin/Michigan area, we lost brakes in two of our four AS wheels. We drove to the AS dealer in Anoka, MN, outside of Minneapolis (Shorewood RV). They replaced both brakes in approximately 6 hrs at no charge. (Way to go, Shorewood!!!)

Hey, stuff happens. So far with us, it is happening less often with our AS, & when it does happen, it gets fixed with an absence of fuss.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

san jose , California
Go for it

I'd say don't rule out a used AS that has been sorted out already. Best bang for your buck. I too was in the same boat as you, and 100% needed panoramic windows in the back as most places with a view are back-in spots. New didn't provide what used did and the issues inherent to AS were sorted out already.

Good luck, a lot of options out there.
vis0rd0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Fresno , California
If you think Airstream has problems....

My wife and I have owned four other RV's and can tell you from experience out 2003 Classic 30' is far better than any brand new RV out there. Sure you will possibly have a problem or two....but our last trailer was a 2015 Keystone Bullett Premier and it nearly fell apart on a 2000 mile trip. The fact that everyone seems to be screaming about poor quality in Airstreams tells me they never owned any other RV. If they had they would be much more thankful and feel blessed to have an Airstream. Some people just can't be satisfied no matter how reliable the trailer is. It is my sincerest hope that anyone reading the posts of the complainers will consider that some people just like to complain...I did till I bought an Airstream....now there is no need...
ldireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
m.hony wrote: "Even now I need propane pigtail connectors. One side was leaking. They have been ordered."

At the WV rally, my "next door" neighbor told me that he smelled propane coming from my propane bottles. The soap bubble test confirmed that there were numerous pinhole leaks in one of my propane pigtails. I disconnected it, & when we went to Jackson Center thereafter to get the "grand AS tour," I told one of their guys about the leaky pigtail, which I gave to him. He told me he didn't have one in stock but would ship one to me.

Voila: UPS delivered to me an entire new, two-pigtail & regulator device within a couple of weeks. No charge, courtesy of AS, Jackson Center. (Way to go, AS & its warranty.)

Stuff happens. That's unavoidable. When it does, so far AS has fixed it, promptly & without question or charge. I'm impressed.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Fresno , California
Hey...I think my wife and I met you at Toscano when you picked your trailer up. We were the people who were picking up the 2003 Classic 30' right next to yours. You were gracious in allowing us to tour your new baby and may I say...it is beautiful....Great to see you are putting it on the road...Stay safe and look for us on the road.
ldireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:35 PM   #27
New Owner 😊

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Cary , North Carolina
Campathy!!! Why couldn't I have come up with that? :-)

Thank you FoilinArnd for asking the questions you asked. This has been a very helpful thread! My husband and I are purchasing our very first AS on Thursday - 2017 25FB-Q Flying Cloud. I have loved being a part of this forum and learning from all of you. We are very excited to begin this new chapter. I have yet to come across anything on this forum that has not been 100% helpful.
runningjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #28
Ldytraveller

1998 34' Excella 1000
1990 29' Airstream 290
Algonquin Highlands , Ontario
We looked at many manufacturers before deciding on AS. My husband worked in the aerospace industry. He understands aircraft construction and the stresses they must endure. AS is built with similar quality construction and the aerodynamic shape we were looking for. Our first was a 1990 29 ft Excella. We loved it and had no issues. The previous owner had had it for 20 yrs and it was well cared for. Unfortunately, travelling home to Canada from our winter in Texas we had an accident and the trailer was written off. Given the circumstances the trailer was actually still in very good shape after the accident. The police, emergency services personel and the tow truck drivers said they had never seen a trailer survive a flip on its side with so little damage. They said they usually just hosed the remaining pieces of other trailer brands off the highway after such an accident. The trailer could have been repaired but the costs to do so were much higher than the current value of the trailer so we had to give it up. We now have a 1998 34 ft Excella with a Hensley hitch and so far so good. We bought it from an AS dealer who gave us a 90 day warranty. They have fixed a few minor things but nothing major has occurred. We are looking forward to many years and many miles in this AS. Find a used AS trailer that has been well cared for and you should not have any problems. The only repairs will be as a result of use - as you would with any vehicle. AS will give you the value for your money that other brands won't. They are not built to last 20, 30+ years. Airstream is! Good Luck!
Ldytraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:06 PM   #29
Ldytraveller

1998 34' Excella 1000
1990 29' Airstream 290
Algonquin Highlands , Ontario
Bouquests to CanAm RV, London Ont. Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
I'm on my fourth RV Trailer now and all four of them have workmanship issues.
So called 'American Workmanship' ain't what it used to be and nothing to brag about.
Your workers need to learn from Japanese and other Asians, who years ago learned from YOU!
Having said that; AS warranties are good, and in my 'neck of the woods' CanAm is absolutely super at treating the customer right.
My current FC came from the factory pretty good , with only a couple of minor snags that CanAm addressed to my satisfaction
(I'm a retired aircraft tech.)
Don't expect American products to meet the Asians standards. Just accept That the dealers are there to keep you on the road and happy.
Just wanted to add our agreement regarding CanAm. Their customer service is outstanding. The longer we RV the more stories we hear about dealer support or lack of. CanAm's name often comes up whether we are in Canada or the US. It is always in connection to a positive "above and beyond expectations" service story. Initially it amazed me to hear that people come from the US with their rigs to have CanAm service them and set up their tow package. However, now we understand.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #30

Pinellas Park , Florida
I understand your newbie concerns. I have admired AS since my NY family pulled their Excella down to Florida and parked on my parents' property every winter. Since, I have owned every type of non-motorized RV, always yearning for an AS. I, too, visited the factory a few years ago. I was unhappily surprised. Yes, I was favorably impressed with the aluminum work, although oldtimers say they have cut back on rivets; yet it still seemed very good. mIt's all the rest that disappointed. Sure, few things are perfect but, for the price, it ought to be darn close. And if visible things are sloppy, what do the other internal things look like? The entire RV industry has a terrible quality issue right now. I still think AS is among the best, along with 3 others at most, but reputations last a long time and I think AS is riding on its good reputation a little too much currently. My advice, for any brand of RV is to go over it with a fine tooth comb before taking delivery. And make sure you're buying from a dealer with a great reputation. There's an awful lot of talk about the warranty, punch lists, etc. here. Makes me nervous, too.
LindaRuble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoilinArnd View Post
Ahoy Mateys! Taking the plunge & ready to pull trigger on new AS. (Considering Sport22FB, FC20 or 19, Intl or Serentity19 [not fond of toilet placement in last 3]).
Then I start going down rabbit hole researching. What gives with all the problems, repairs, glitches, bad wiring, plumbing horrors, etc? Are the peeps building these money pits high on something? I just don't understand. I got so freaked out today that I started looking at Jaycos, River Forests and Casitas.
I reading about brand new trailers straight off the lot with water leaks and cab latches falling off. Is our dream of seeing the country in a trailer dead? The Husband is handy but doesn't enjoy it. I don't know which end of a hammer is up but I will learn. Riddle me this, friends:
1) Are all new trailers like this? Or is it an Airstream glitch.
2) Why do some folks sail into sunset from dealer with no major repairs for a year while others have trailer in shop 3 days later?
3) What can we do as new owners to minimize this hassle? We have never owned RV before so don't know all the tech questions to ask salesperson. (i.e. "Hey, can you have a guy open all the walls and make SURE the plumbing is correct?")
4)The water leakage thing has me really worried. Should we go over all seams and rivets with sealant?
5) Do all AS leak & have water damage?
Sorry this is so wordy. Talk me off the ledge folks. We really, really want an AS but if other cheaper (uglier!) brands are more reliable I will need to move on. Thanks.
As I have said many times I would not buy a new AS look for an older pre 2002 that has been professionally refurbished. It doesn't matter what brand you buy most are owned by Thor, who bought AS in 2002 . My 1978 has had only one small leak near roof vent and none of the windows leak I bought it for $6500.00 canadian over 12 years ago and have had CanAM RV do about $4,000.00 in repair/replacement on it have put many thousands miles on it with no problems . Good luck!
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
There's been lot's of good advice here already, so probably not too much I can add. I will say though, that most corporations lost their minds some time ago. Doesn't matter what industry it is, they're more interested in squeezing money out of the consumer without providing real value. RVs aren't the only consumables where you don't get what you pay for. We recently bought a new Nissan NV as a tow vehicle after many years of domestic ownership. But we really resisted buying anything for a while because vehicle prices are totally out of control for something which depreciates.

Before you take the plunge, there are some things you can research and do. First, plan a few short trips where you rent a different RV each time, including the AS. If a large price tag isn't the issue, do check out the restoration people. How far is Flyte Camp from you? Some people knock them because of the TV show. But if you visit, ask to see works in progress. How do they compare to any new stuff you've looked at? Need a good excuse to go to Colorado? Check out Timeless Travel Trailers. They do restoration, renovations, and custom in new shells. We have Bob Jones RV here in the Houston area. I think Colin Hyde is in Connecticut. Some of these businesses probably know each other, because at some point they've shared a trained technician. There are only so many for AS. Just do a little more digging. There are plenty options, including one that suits your circumstances.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Gwinn , Michigan
2017 Airstreams

We just picked up our 2017 27FB Intl Serenity and went over it with a fine tooth comb. We have found a few minor things that need to be fixed, but for the most part it's almost perfect . We looked and researched for months before deciding on an Airstream, and for quality it can't be beat compared to the stick and tins. Our story of renting a brand-new Coachman motor home this summer (Airstream was still being born) to go to Glacier National Park really opened our eyes. It literally fell apart while driving. Valances fell off, window blinds fell off, it rocked and bounced like a boat in high waves. So many things were cheaply made and junk. But the Airstream is solid, stable and well-put together. The oven hood is made in Italy, the sofa cushions are thick and sturdy and comfortable. The bed mattress is quite nice too. I can't answer #1 or #2 as each Airstream is different. #3 is to minimize the problems by spending time at the dealer going over everything and have them fix whatever is wrong before you leave the lot. #4 and #5 concern leaks and water damage. It's too soon to tell but so far so good. Time will tell, but we couldn't be happier with our new girl. She beautiful inside and out, and so shiny!
Yooperchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
They are autonomous beings and every one has different problems.
I dealt with the shortcomings to own a stylish little slice of Americana.
I got everything fixed.
Other problems have come up.
I deal with problems one at a time.
Some are not Airstream's fault, but owner error/mistakes or the consequence of dragging a house over rough roads for 30,000-40,000 miles.
Some of the perceived problems or quality control issues may well indeed be routine maintenance on any RV regardless of price point or perceived quality and/or value.
All in all, shortcomings acknowledged, I love my trailer and would have no other.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:32 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoilinArnd View Post
Ahoy Mateys! Taking the plunge & ready to pull trigger on new AS. (Considering Sport22FB, FC20 or 19, Intl or Serentity19 [not fond of toilet placement in last 3]).
Then I start going down rabbit hole researching. What gives with all the problems, repairs, glitches, bad wiring, plumbing horrors, etc? Are the peeps building these money pits high on something? I just don't understand. I got so freaked out today that I started looking at Jaycos, River Forests and Casitas.
I reading about brand new trailers straight off the lot with water leaks and cab latches falling off. Is our dream of seeing the country in a trailer dead? The Husband is handy but doesn't enjoy it. I don't know which end of a hammer is up but I will learn. Riddle me this, friends:
1) Are all new trailers like this? Or is it an Airstream glitch.
2) Why do some folks sail into sunset from dealer with no major repairs for a year while others have trailer in shop 3 days later?
3) What can we do as new owners to minimize this hassle? We have never owned RV before so don't know all the tech questions to ask salesperson. (i.e. "Hey, can you have a guy open all the walls and make SURE the plumbing is correct?")
4)The water leakage thing has me really worried. Should we go over all seams and rivets with sealant?
5) Do all AS leak & have water damage?
Sorry this is so wordy. Talk me off the ledge folks. We really, really want an AS but if other cheaper (uglier!) brands are more reliable I will need to move on. Thanks.
Only the new ones! It doesn't matter what brand you buy now AS or SOB Thor owns almost all of them. You can look this up on Thor's RV site !
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Inspect top to bottom, end to end and turn everything ON / OFF...

What wonderful responses! Many from those who learn to 'tinker' on their own Airstream and tweak some of the odds and ends that need some attention.

I looked over a newly purchased 2017 23 foot Flying Cloud last week and it was... absolutely a wonderful example of design. Considering much was similar to our 2006 23 foot Safari. Yet the 2017 had 15" tires and axles with the same part number as our 2016 25 foot International. (His Equalizer Hitch had the front of the trailer too HIGH and was set up WRONG by the dealership.)

FIRST: At the dealership, you check EVERYTHING to make sure it is operational. Ceiling Fans. Air Conditioning. Refrigerator. Power Jack. Door locks. Cabinet hinges. Curtains.

If it moves OR does anything... make sure it works.

It would be nice if you could pressurize the water system to test the Water Pump. Hook up the 'City Water' to pressure the faucets, shower head, toilet. See if there are any visible leaks. Pressurize the water lines, look around for a half hour for other things to jiggle and open/close... then look under cabinets for a water leak. Look UNDER the trailer for any... leaks.

If the ceiling fans are noisy... you want ones that are not.

If the front leveling jack is noisy... well, you have to accept that one.

Windows. Open. Close. Open. Close.

Toilet flushes? Fresh water tank... fill it if they let you and then pressurize the system from the Water Pump.

Ceiling Vents. Open. Close. Check the electric Open... Close swithces.

Cook top... all burners must work and ignite.

Refrigerator. Have it turned out with propane and let it run while you are inspecting everything.

Lights. On... Off. Check all switches.

If the Batteries needed to be 'JUMPED' so you could check the interior... YOU WANT THEM REPLACED and upgraded to AGM or sealed batteries. Many trailers sit on the lot and the batteries are DEAD, as nothing in the interior will turn on. Our 2014 had DEAD needed jumping batteries to check it out... I was told the batteries would charge up. Well... barely.

FIND someone on this Forum that will go with you for the price of a LUNCH. You will not be disappointed... nor told something from the salesman that is not true.

Yes. The dealership did not tell me in 2006 nor in 2016 that there is an AirForums. I found it myself AFTER searching for fixes for odds and ends.

After TWO years... you will absolutely love your Airstream. I would go to the double axle 23 foot as the smallest. They are easy to resell and hold their value better. You will buy a smaller single axle to discover by negotiating for a 2017 when 2018's are in the lot might be a good time, as well.

The Airforms has a wonderful group of members. They know what they are talking about. Just check out your purchase from top to bottom... and make sure the numb nuts did not walk on the roof, leaving big dents. Look for hail damage to negotiate price.

What usually is missed and complaints come rampant... the items did not work right there on the dealer's lot. They say they check them out... already. Some do, Many DO NOT.

Whew... and do not get me started. Good luck and make sure the Hitch is set up properly as often... they are not.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:03 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Wheatley , Ontario
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcstreamer View Post
don't let the forum dissuade you. It's like walking into a hospital and asking "anyone sick here?" by the replies you'd think there's an epidemic. It's just the nature of where you are. This is a great resource to learn, but know that folks that have issues tend to be more vocal about them, and folks that have no issues are probably out camping and enjoying their airstream and are not in this forum.

Good luck on your purchase!
:-)
lovetokite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:16 AM   #38
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We love ours. Just wish we had more time to spend in it. Bought a 2011 in 2012, and saved thousands. Made them fix a few things before we picked it up. Just got back from a 3,000+ mile trip through the Rockies, no issues..
I did replace the power converter with an upgraded unit. I watched the YouTube video and got it done. The old one worked, the new one just works better.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
We love ours. Just wish we had more time to spend in it. Bought a 2011 in 2012, and saved thousands. Made them fix a few things before we picked it up. Just got back from a 3,000+ mile trip through the Rockies, no issues..
I did replace the power converter with an upgraded unit. I watched the YouTube video and got it done. The old one worked, the new one just works better.

As you can see, there are lots of differing opinions. Many are unwilling to let go of their Airstream Dream, but in reality, Thor has ruined Airstream for now.
I would not buy a new Airstream until (and unless) the quality is restored.

However, you can still find quality pre-2013 units in the sizes you are considering, and they are built well and will give you many miles of enjoyment. So listen to what your research is telling you, and go after a unit built when quality meant something to Airstream.

Of course, you can listen to the pie in the sky folks and subject yourself to days of frustration, but it is not necessary if you use a little care in selecting a used unit that you can count on.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:34 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Or, you can buy and enjoy a 2014. We did. And it's fantastic. Quality is top notch.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote