Old 04-01-2016, 12:18 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Starstream, curious whether you considered the new full-sized Ford Transit Wagon with seating for 8 to 15 depending on model? Our new one tows the FC20 great. I drove the NV but did not like the pickup front end, having had vans most of my life.

Thanks for your thoughts,

My husband is an obsessive researcher, so we've looked at a lot of options, both used and new. We were kind of leaning toward a recent model Expedition EL, but were less than pleased with the still high price for recent models with more than 50K miles. We've mostly tended to be Ford owners, so we did check out the various vans because their prices tend to be better than pickups and SUVs. Being mostly pickup and/or SUV owners the NV nose didn't bother us. But what really sealed the deal was the goodies Nissan is heaping on to make the NV desirable to businesses. At the dealership where we purchased our van, both passenger and cargo are in the fleet category. Nissan already has an unusually generous warranty on this product, but they're also providing some pretty nifty extended warranty stuff. We usually don't purchase those. However, the platinum plan includes gap coverage, all the annual maintenance like oil changes & other fluids, filters etc., new tires, a loaner while ours is in service, and the ability to use any dealership in the US for all of the above. The dealership option is available because this plan is thru the manufacturer. It was especially because of this last option that we bit. It means we can be away from home as long as we want and take care of the vehicle when needed. This plan is good for 7-8 years, so it actually extends beyond the life of the loan. When we put this on our insurance yesterday, we did add the replacement of one year newer in case the NV is totaled, since the gap will pay off the financing. We'll probably only keep that option on insurance for a couple of years. After that, the replacement is going to be another used vehicle anyway.

Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Oh, I forgot. They also gave my husband a $1000 veteran discount on the extended warranty.

Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member
1958 26' Overlander
Kansas City , Missouri
What I did was bought trailer first then bought the truck to pull it with. And yes I bought vintage trailer. Yes redoing it but cheaper for me and I like the look of it. I know of a friend in my club that's selling one now that doesn't have a lot to do. It's a 31' and it's under $15000. It's a 84 model. You will need a 1/2 to a 3/4 ton to pull it with but it's ready to camp in.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum

Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote