Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #1

Cypress , Texas
Newbie Alert

Greeting AS World!
Ready to purchase my first AS. Have always loved the look and history of AS.

Not sure what to buy, what questions to ask or what the hell I'm doing!!
About our family- (me 51, wife “undisclosed”, girl 9, boy 11,) live near Houston, Texas.

Our needs- we need a trailer that can sit at our B&B (The Vintage Round Top) in Round Top, Texas. Most of the time it will be parked at the B&B, except when we take it on family road trips (4-8 times per year).

Planning on renting the AS to our B&B guest probably 20-30 days a year. Need a trailer than can comfortably sleep my family as well as upscale B&B guest. I will need an existing queen bed configuration, or install one myself. Based on renting trailers in the past I believe need at last a 28 ft.

Budget- my acquisition budget is 15K and I’m budgeting another 5k to fix all the little things, upgrades and to do a light remodel. I’m not looking for a restoration project!! I will upscale and personalize the trailer similar to our B&B. I’m a general contractor so I think I can handle the interior remodel myself (famous last words).

Research- I know just enough to be dangerous!! Based on what I’ve seen online, I think a 90’s model will fit the budget and will also give me enough bells & whistles. Plus, the major components should still be functional?? Does this sound reasonable? I’m I on the right track?

Tow vehicle- 2010 Ford F-150 Super Crew, V8. Need to replace my truck at the beginning of the year and can upgrade to an F-150 4x4 if needed to tow a larger trailer.

Thank you in advance for helping out this newbie. Can’t wait to find my new baby!!
TheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Welcome to the AirForums!

In addition to the trailer itself, tax/title/license, insurance, and repairs/upgrades, you had better budget for a few modifications at the B&B also. You'll want a concrete apron to park it on, possibly wide enough to include a patio area for the benefit of guests using it in place. Also a 30-amp electric hookup, water spigot, and a sewer hookup, which can be as simple as an accessible sewer clean-out plug.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #3

Cypress , Texas
Thanks Protagonist. I already have the electric hookup, water and sewer in place. Great idea to install an apron and patio Any thoughts on which model(s) I should be looking at in my budget range?
TheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVintage View Post
Greeting AS World! Our needs- we need a trailer that can sit at our B&B (The Vintage Round Top) in Round Top, Texas. Most of the time it will be parked at the B&B, except when we take it on family road trips (4-8 times per year). Planning on renting the AS to our B&B guest probably 20-30 days a year.
Good luck with your plans. You might want to rethink renting your trailer tho. There is already a thread here on the Forums on that subject. Think of renting out your boat, car, etc. Nobody takes care of rentals, and repairs are expensive. Better to hold your vintage only for the use of you & your own family!!

I used to know Round Top very well - if you know some history, I go back to when Miss Ima was still active at Winedale Stagecoach Inn, James Dick's piano concerts were held in the barn at Winedale, Mr Birklebach owned the cafe that preceeded Royer's & ole "Mrs. What's Her Name" was filling the east side of the square with all those buildings. My friends have moved away now, but next time I'm there (for the antique weekends) I'll try to look you up.

Best of luck with your vintage Airstream shopping.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Check on the legality of renting a trailer on your property. Some municipalities have ordinances against anyone sleeping in an RV on private property, even for your own personal use.

Also some things about an RV are different then a house and some people can't cope with it until they get use to it (as in guests for a couple days). The way an RV toilet works is the biggest thing (the way the toilet flushes) and they wouldn't be dumping the tanks you would.

You might be better off renting your room and staying in the Airstream yourself.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
trust issues

I agree. I would rather rent my room out than let anyone else sleep in my Airstream. But my Airstream is NOT just a room on wheels. It is my home away from home. I have emotional attachments. And we have put love and work into it and its maintenance, so we are attached by that as well. After you get done with re-doing one, you may not want to let any ol' person sleep there!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote