Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
houston , Texas

Hello to all for my first post. My wife has been infatuated with Airstream trailers ever since a little girl. Needless to say in our mid 40's we have to get one. I'm a little overwhelmed with the buying process. We would ideally like to purchase a more vintage model in the 19'-24' range. I have an extra vehicle which is a 2007 Ford F150 4WD 5.4 lt. I'm assuming that is enough, but any thoughts are welcomed. Also, I've been in the banking business/finance world most of my life so I understand depreciation. So what in the world makes these things hold their value? Lastly, I need advise on the best approach on purchasing a used unit. My main focus is that the trailer chassis is SOUND! Other than that I'm a DYI (do it yourselfer) minus some electrical work. Just looking for some advise and direction folks.
POC Salt Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #2
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Welcome to the club!

Look to the truck's weight ratings, both for GVW and the axle loads. Consider the tires, as they are also marked with the max each can carry. A little math will give you the truck's ability. Harder will be the trailer weights, as vintage units may have been modified, so the weight would really need to be from a scale.

What makes them hold their value? Used Airstreams sell very quickly at dealers and by private parties. Mostly, it is because they are built from durable materials. Airstream was founded in the 1930s, and at the time there were hundreds of other travel trailer manufacturers. Airstream is the only one of those still in business. Over 80% of all Airstreams ever built are in use today, from what I have heard in the factory tours.

Look up the Airstream Owners Club, at www.wbcci.org and find the contact for the unit near you. These Airstream folks are friendly, and can help with information on the various years models and floor plans. The good, bad, and ugly, and how to make good better, bad good, and ugly beautiful is what the club can tell you, as well as show you.

The Forums do have a classified section, and, there are folks who are willing to inspect a trailer you are interested in, but not close to.

Good luck in your search, and let us know when you find your Airstream.

Tom
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Your Ford half ton should be sufficient for a vintage Airstream in that size range. You will need to add a trailer brake controller to the tow vehicle. You will also probably want to have a weight distribution/sway control hitch system.

Airstreams do hold their value better than any RV ever made. Airstreams enjoy a near iconic status, and, as such, the prices are somewhat high. It's kind of the '57 T-Bird of the RV arena. Amongst the vintage Airstreams, the smaller the trailer, the higher the price.

Don't be discouraged. Give it some time and effort, and the right Airstream will materialize. Best wishes in your endeavor. If you have any questions or need any guidance, you've found the right place here on AirForums.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Howell , Michigan
Talking Welcome to the form

We spent six years looking for exactly what we wanted and viewed Air forms weekly. We attempted the dealers but no luck there. The folks that sold us theirs had all records, improvements and upgrades and the funny part was it seemed as though they were keeping it and just wanted to show it. They took us around the rig inside outside and all through it. Great experience and new friends. In the beginning we would call with questions and they were there to help. Thats how you know youve earned your wings after you stop calling http://www.airforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif. Just kidding.
LakeState is offline   Reply With Quote