Old 08-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Tenkara Fly Angler
1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
New Vintage Airstream owners

It seems that almost every day there are posts new Vintage Airstream owners.
Then there are people here as long time owners who give freely of their time to help.
For me, it restores my faith in people, preserving/restoring history, the part we can.
In our family, we have always been the "Vintage" type. Our grandkids think we are "cool", our kids think we have finally crossed over to the deep end of freaky. Grew up in the late 60's and early 70's so we have some experience in this...
In the happy plastic/tweeting world/everything new and unvarnished
this is a welcome back to the real world "escape?"

1975 Sovereign
"The Silver Bullet"
2013 F350 Super Duty 6.7 Liter Diesel
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Always learning
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Congratulations on being a vintage owner from a fellow '70s owner! I have said many times that I have never ever met such great people as Airstreamers. I don't know how I made it through all those years without an Airstream.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Livingston , texas

New/Vintage owners here as well. An searching for any & all tips to aid us in restoring the old girl.
2 Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Big C, we must be cut from the same mold. Although our trailer is not exactly vintage ( a mere 20 years old), I also grew up in the 60/70's as a third generation antiques dealer/restorer. Old stuff is a way of life for me. Old cars,trucks,buildings,furniture, trailers,anything old. My '93 still has her beautiful big blue stripe down the side, giving it a wonderful "retro" look.

Sometimes I get myself into a temporary funk thinking about how fast this world is spinning and the direction it is going. A trip to the mall is all you need to get a glimpse at the future. Then I sit down with my friends here on the Forums and things get righted again. A step back in time with the Vintage folks is excellent therapy.

I too find we get a lot of thumbs up from the younger crowd. Makes me feel good that they think we're cool. Heck, we were cool before being cool was cool!! Deep down inside that old hippie still lives. Just a bit more mellow now.

Airstreamers, keep up the good work, share the love. The world needs us.

WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Vintage all the way!

Originally Posted by Big C View Post
In our family, we have always been the "Vintage" type. Our grandkids think we are "cool", our kids think we have finally crossed over to the deep end of freaky.
Haha. I would say the same (except backwards.)
My GrandPARENTS think we're "cool," and my PARENTS think we have finally crossed over to the deep end ...

my restoration & travel blog:
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
1964 22' Safari
Rippey , Iowa

Greetings to the vintage Airstream community! This being my innaugural attempt ata a post I'm sure I'll screw something up but since I know I will be seeking advice from you folks in the future I thought I should make an introduction.
I recently convinced my sweetheart of 43 years that we should find a travel trailer more suiatable to accomodating the two of us. The current unit was a a Palomino hybrid which sleeps eight and was purchased to encourage our kids and grands to join us on the road. It worked to a degree since we did get all 11 of them to help us recreate a trip we took on our 10th wedding anniversary from Iowa to Glacier N P and then down to Teton N P. The new trip was to help us celebrate our 40th and it was wonderful!
However, we know that most of our travels will be just the two of us with maybe a couple vintage friends to join so the Palomino flop-down was not what we really wanted to haul. Hence, Craigslist to the rescue! We stumbled upon a '64 Safari single axle in Granite Falls, MN and became and purchased it for the handsome sum of 4G (sound about right?). It is in remarkably good, original condition but we of course have many tests, trials etc. to see what is salvagable and what is not. I am not a purist so our goal is to have it functional and handsome to look at, inside and out while preserving its Airstream essence. I have heard already that the International LP furnace is a 'must replace' item so I have started shopping for that (is 20,000 btu about right?). I would also like to add an AC but would like to avoid the white plastic thing on the roof (has anybody done that?). Finally I hope to get the fridge running and keep it just because it fits so well and looks so vintage. We'll see how all this turns out!
Thanks to anyone who has advice or experience that may be helpful. We'll need it all! I may create a blog as we go thru this process...we'll see.
hensbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1971 29' Ambassador
guyton , Georgia
working on a 1971 29ft
r.swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
Big C, I can identify with you, Lance, Lynnetta and Sandlapper. I, too grew up in the 50's, 60's, & 70's ('guess it took me longer to mature than the average).
My parents were very creative and resourceful. They were skillful at refinishing, refurbishing & repurposing (one example: in 1967 they purchased a 1953 Flying Cloud, gutted it and created a fantastic camper in which our family took vacations throughout the U.S. until they got a "modern" 31 ft. Airstream in 1977; any one remember a Monomatic toilet?).
Anyway, I have inhierited an appreciation of the fact that new isn't always better. I enjoy some older autos, & my 1st Airstream was a nifty '51 Flying Cloud (in 1986). As a musician I prefer quality vintage instruments to most of the new ones.
I have found that those most appreciative of my tastes ARE the younger generation and the elderly. Those of my generation, generally, wonder what's wrong with me..."Why don't you just get a brand new one and throw it away when it gets old, then get another new one?"
I just have to smile and think, "If you have to just wouldn't understand."
So, yes, I enjoy the 'vintage' COOL, too.

Say, Hensbob, welcome to to the forum & the Airstream life! I presently have a 1969 and am in Iowa, too. 'Hope to see ya on the road or at a rally!

WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote