Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2015, 06:02 PM   #1

2016 25' Flying Cloud
huntsville , Alabama
New to forum - got the airstream bug

I don't really have a question but thought I would say hi. I have been lurking for a month or so feeding my desire to buy an airstream and start a new adventure in my life.
I recently retired but am working incredibly hard to sell property and to simplify my life.
My desire is to buy in airstream and initially store it in Colorado. I live in Alabama. I have an airplane - bonanza so I can get to Fort Collins area in 6 hours from Al. I would like to buy a 25 or 28 foot AS and leave it there with an F250 3/4 ton truck I have. Hopefully I will be able to go for several weeks at a time. Overtime I want to base the AS in different areas of the country. I am not sure where yet - Montana, Idaho , Oregon.

I am having a hard time deciding how old or how new of an AS I want. Being retired money is definetly a concern so I know I don't want a new one. I am thinking of something around a 2000 at a price that would give me room to update the upholstery and replace AC or refrig, etc if needed.
Anyway i just wanted to say hi.
Russ
AlexS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Willoughby , Ohio
I had a Bonanza. 59 K model with tip tanks.

I too have the bug and have been lurking here. I'm looking for a 19 or 20 Bambi. We have a TDi Touareg to tow it with.

John
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #3

2016 25' Flying Cloud
huntsville , Alabama
I have a 88 F33A. No tip tanks. I can fly 6 hours nonstop but don't have the necessary reserve to do it safely so I am also looking at putting tip tanks on the plane which will give me 8-9 hours flying.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Welcome to the forum. In the '60's and early '70's I spent almost every weekend of my youth at the little single strip airport at Hazel Green. That's probably traceable to my case of Aluminitus and Airstream affliction.

Good luck with your search
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . .welcome to the clan, something about Airstreams & airplanes just go together. Lots of fliers on board. Good luck with your search and when you get your AS to Colorado, look in on us with the Four Corners Unit, we have a good time. regards, Craig
Old 09-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
I am an old ex pilot. My father owned a Bonaza (ex fighter pilot). Nothing like a Bonanza! I love both flying (not comercial anymore) and my airstream. I have to say if I had a choice between flying across this beautiful country or pulling my airstream, no question about it. I will choose my AS every time. I spend most the summers cruising the states you mentioned. I am very drawn to Idaho being the best of the best. With that f-250 you will have no issues in these mountainous areas. Go live your dream!!

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There is only one cure-
A big silver pill-
Why not just travel with the Airstream in tow behind the 3/4 ton? See all of our country-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
New to forum - got the airstream bug

Welcome to the forum!
(not a pilot, but used to repair an air defense missile system for the Army)
We bought used knowing it needed repairs, replacements, upgrades - 75 Overlander 27'. With me doing all of the work, after everything is completed we'll have less in it than a new smaller plain white box.
Originally from and currently in Colorado, we plan to base out of Texas which will save us from winterizing if we're not in it. As I'm sure you know, Ft Collins can get pretty cold and the snow pretty deep.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Alex, we have much in common. We sold our last Bonanza in late 12, and after lurking on the Forum for 9-10 months, pulled the trigger on a 14 Classic 31 yesterday at Foley RV. We are recently retired and are eager to start our AS adventure. I had no idea there were so many present and former pilots and aircraft owners in the AS community.

After reading the many responses your post prompted, maybe I now understand this new obsession. I perhaps identify most with Plan B. After flying over this beautiful country for 60 years as an airline brat and then private pilot, I look forward to seeing it close up from the pace and comfort of an AS. Best of luck with your own adventure.
Johndews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:31 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
My great Uncle Don from KCMO,,, use to always tell me as a young boy that if a Airstream had wings it could fly.. He had a older late 50s model.. Cant remember the name but was around 22 foot single axle.

Like you I dream of the day I can get weaned from my banker and retire from farming and do the same.. Park our 72 Overlander in a good location and make some get away trips.. For us,, its a hard days drive to get off the high plains of Kansas to even get to some cooler and nicer areas to camp.. Most our local lakes are nothing more than mud swamps due to low water levels. Keep the dream,, and the ticket to fly.. Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
Retired airline pilot. Could not get away from aluminum & rivets & blue water.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:51 PM   #12
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
25 to 28

We have had them all, at present we have a 1992 classic 25 and a 1992 sovereign 21. We believe the trailer built from 1987 to 1993 were some of Airstreams best trailers. We had a 2002 Classic 25 and it had a queen bed, lost a lot of inside and outside storage, one advantage was it had the new clear coat that they started using I the year 2000. We had a 2006 International 28 it was not user friendly to us and no pantry. Couch was uncomfortable, The look of the unit was outstanding everybody just fell in love with it. Looks are one thing comfort is more important to us. We also had a 1999 classic 28, twin beds lots of storage inside and out the only problem with the 99 was the clear coat, in the late 90s the used a water base clear coat and it doesn't hold up like the old oil base clear coat. All the years are going up in price so the 1992s we have are just increasing in Value. No mater what you find you will enjoy and make it your own, Good luck on your search
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	247224  
Beaubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:27 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
AlexS you have a wonderful problem! It seems simple and logical to store the AS and TV in a destination, and fly to that spot and avoid a 5-6 day trailering trip each way. You will need to think security for the AS as well as the TV. Think hail if outdoors, and theft either way. Think freezing water pipes, etc in the long winter. If you guess wrong on when to blow out the lines, drain the tanks and pump antifreeze through the AS by one day, it can really mess you up. Think dragging stuff both ways unless you intend to make Walmart your first stop with the TV+AS once you arrive. Once you're retired every day is a Saturday except for Sunday, so don't be in a hurry. We live in Atlanta and know the drive West, but we look for things to do along the way. We leave home with everything that can't be bought at WM, and they are almost everywhere. But then, we don't have a Bonanza.........so.....

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #14

2016 25' Flying Cloud
huntsville , Alabama
Thanks for all of the encouragement.
I have thought a lot about safe storage. The ideal would be to find a hangar I could store it in that I could put the plane in when I get there. I would not have to shuttle to some RV storage area and hopefully the hangar on an airport would be secure. Hangars in Huntsville are hard to find so probably the same out there. I pay 225 a month for hangar fees here. That would be my first route but I very well won't be able to find one or the prices may get to steep. I don't know what a covered storage at RV facility for the Airstream and truck would cost. I started looking on line for the Fort Collins area and there seem to be facilities around but I haven't called for quotes.
I would like to have power to keep batteries charged and all of the equipment I need to winterized at the storage location.
Russ
Old 09-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
AlexS: I went with a 1958 22' Caravanner and from the gitgo I knew I'd gut it so found one missing a lot of interior. Less $ to buy. Have about $11K in. No other Airstream like mine and that's because I designed for (1) extreme weather (2) off road w/ 11" under belly - what I did to eliminate solid axle (3) everything can be moved outside under larger awning (4) Keep rig to 2180# by putting about 10 things = 800# to 1,000# in tow vehicle pick up covered bed. In my case a Cadillac Escalade EXT = a fancy pick up truck. IF you wish I'll go private or to your eMail and tell you what to buy and why.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote