Old 04-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Shokan , New York
New Stove or Not?

I'm going to be selling a 31' 1973 side bath Airstream on eBay. The trailer is in basically good condition, but it's not a show piece. One problem is the stove/oven combination. The top surface and fold-down cover are thoroughly rusted, and the oven had mice living in it with lots of insulation. Basically, the stove is a mess. Another problem is the furnace. The pilot light does not stay lit, and it puts out black smoke - probably a rich mixture. I wouldn't want to advertise it without mentioning the condition of the stove and furnace. Since I no longer have a tow vehicle, I can't bring it anywhere to get the furnace adjusted.

So, my question is, do I spend $600 to install a new stove and advertise it that way, or do I cut my losses and get what I can for the trailer? "Throwing good money after bad," comes to mind.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
just a cheap cooktop maybe?

Old 04-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Rarely are trailers of this age camp ready. More important are strutural issues and most trailers have rear end rot. So photos of the bare floor in the back showing no rot would sell me more than a new stove. Most folks with any knowledge of RV's are going to know that you are going to have remodel. In hind sight, new flooring and other eyewash is a red flag.

Perry
Old 04-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
My first reaction is that even if it is a wash in terms of getting back the $600 for the new stove, you would sell it a lot faster compared to having the next buyer have to deal with a mouse house.

I think the same applies to the furnace. The insides could be badly rusted out, and not just in need of a tune-up. Having the original appliances would scare me: they are 40 years old! Newly replaced ones are a selling feature to any potential buyer.

But what about the water heater and fridge: do they work..?
Old 04-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
If I were a buyer & you told me the oven was a mouse house, I would assume it's just one hotel in their silver city. I wouldn't replace the furnace. I would tell them it doesn't work. Not many people actually use furnaces that are that old (or at least they should have it checked out first). I don't think I'd invest the time/money in replacing the stove either. I'd just clean it out & tell them it needs replacing. I'd also clean the unit well to rid it of mouse evidence & load it up with Bounce to keep the critters out!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Shokan , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
just a cheap cooktop maybe?
I considered that, but I thought spending the money (only $50) and then having people disappointed that it wasn't a complete stove might make for a tougher sale.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Shokan , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Rarely are trailers of this age camp ready. More important are strutural issues and most trailers have rear end rot. So photos of the bare floor in the back showing no rot would sell me more than a new stove. Most folks with any knowledge of RV's are going to know that you are going to have remodel. In hind sight, new flooring and other eyewash is a red flag.

Perry
Two years ago, I removed a lot of the inside and replaced many sections of the floor. Fortunately, I took lots of pictures, so I'll include them when I advertise it.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Shokan , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
My first reaction is that even if it is a wash in terms of getting back the $600 for the new stove, you would sell it a lot faster compared to having the next buyer have to deal with a mouse house.

I think the same applies to the furnace. The insides could be badly rusted out, and not just in need of a tune-up. Having the original appliances would scare me: they are 40 years old! Newly replaced ones are a selling feature to any potential buyer.

But what about the water heater and fridge: do they work..?
The water heater is original, but it has always worked fine. The fridge was replaced in 1994, and the A/C in '95. I could probably spend $2,000 getting this into better shape, but I'd never get it back. As for selling it fast, it will sell in one week on eBay. I bought it when it was 14 years old, and I've owned it another 26 years. It owes me nothing, so whatever I get is just icing on the cake.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Shokan , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
If I were a buyer & you told me the oven was a mouse house, I would assume it's just one hotel in their silver city. I wouldn't replace the furnace. I would tell them it doesn't work. Not many people actually use furnaces that are that old (or at least they should have it checked out first). I don't think I'd invest the time/money in replacing the stove either. I'd just clean it out & tell them it needs replacing. I'd also clean the unit well to rid it of mouse evidence & load it up with Bounce to keep the critters out!
Good idea about the word "mouse." It's a shame that the "stainless steel" rusted so badly. I think I'll paint the top surface and cover gloss black and thoroughly clean out the oven. That will make for a better description in the ad.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Yeah I have seen lot of older trailers that looked pretty good inside but the rusty stove turned me off. It is some sort of faux stainless over plain steel. I was lucky enough to have a white porcelain stove but I still have some trim that needs something done to it. It sounds like you have taken care of the trailer which is a plus. Trailers that were used regularly and taken care of fetch about the same price as the ones that have sat for decades. Or at least that is what they are asking.

Perry
Old 04-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I'd put in a used stove or microwave and cooktop! Look on craigslist. It will cost much less than a new one.