Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2015, 06:11 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Weeki Waccee , Florida
New RV Park and new to the RV world

Dear Airstreamers,
We just reopened an old Fish Camp on the Gulfcoast of Florida north of Tampa that has been closed for the past 5 years and we have 17 RV spots on the River that we have put in and looking for a little guidance from fellow air streamers on what makes a good park for air streamers. Any comments or guidance would be helpful

Blair
Mary's Fish Camp
Weeki Wachee Floirda
MarysFishCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

We plan to head down to Dade City before Christmas. Hopefully, we will be able to stop by and try out your campground.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
New RV Park and new to the RV world

Good for you! We'll be rolling your way in mid-Jan enroute to our sailboat in Bradnton. Perhaps we can stopover.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I just Googled Mary's Fish Camp. All I got was a trailer park established in 1946. You need to post an address.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
And pictures, maybe? What do you offer for hook-ups on site? Electric? Water? Sewer? WiFi? CATV? Campfire pits? Concrete sites?

Tell us more! And good luck on your new venture!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
If you're on a river, a nice launch for kayaks / canoes would be nice. Walking and running trails, fishing areas, small grocery and bait store, an access road that doesn't make dust. We stayed at one in Missouri that was very nice, had a small lake. Every car that came down the gravel access road created a ton of dust that settled on everything in the camp.

Make sure the bathroom and laundry areas are nice. If the bathroom / shower area isn't nice then my wife won't stay more than a day.

Down the road, having an Internet presence would be especially nice, so people can find you. There are plenty of places that can put up even a static website with phone number.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Down the road, having an Internet presence would be especially nice, so people can find you. There are plenty of places that can put up even a static website with phone number.
Not very far down the road. I think you should make this a top priority. I don't know how phone apps like Allstays get their listings, but it would be good to get there.

Folks like spacious sites, try not to cram them in.

Best of luck!
Old 12-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysFishCam View Post
We just reopened an old Fish Camp on the Gulfcoast of Florida north of Tampa that has been closed for the past 5 years and we have 17 RV spots on the River that we have put in and looking for a little guidance from fellow air streamers on what makes a good park for air streamers.
In order to provide meaningful suggestions, it would help if we have more of an idea what you've already got. Fishing camps are often in the boonies, and while they might have electrical service, they might not have municipal water or sewer services. They usually have good access to the water, which is why they're fishing camps and not hunting camps, but conversely they may be on low-lying land with poor drainage, especially along the Gulf Coast. You say you already have seventeen campsites, but what kind of hookups, if any, are already in place? Are the sites paved, graded with crushed stone, or grassy? Is there an existing building on-site that can serve as a pavilion, clubhouse, general store, and/or office? How far away are the nearest services like grocery stores, fuel, etc.

The more you can tell us about what you already have, the more we can tell you about what you might be missing to make the campground more desirable as a destination.

But having asked a bunch of questions, I'll offer one constructive suggestion even before you answer. One thing every successful campground needs is good signage. People need to be able to find you even if they don't use GPS. People pulling a trailer— or driving a motorhome and pulling a toad— don't like to get lost if there's not a good place to turn around when hey realize they've missed a turn, so making sure they don't miss their turn is best. Not necessarily billboards, but definitely some kind of "turn here" signs along the best route from major highway to your camp. Which typically means getting permission from the local highway department to put signs on their right-of-way, or getting permission from landowners adjacent to the highway to put signs on their property right next to the highway/street right-of-way.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:34 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Trees and vegetation - the more the better. Privacy between sites. Being on the river is a huge plus too.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Is this you,

Marysfishcamp.org

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Is this you,

Marysfishcamp.org
Matches everything the OP says. 17 sites with full hookups. Looks like they already have a good setup, even a web site. Wonder why they're posting here, maybe asking specifically about AS camping???

RV Sites
There are 17 RV sites at Marys Fish Camp with Full Hook Ups to Power, Water and Sewer. 50 amp service is available. Rates - $28.00 a day plus $5 a day for water, power and sewer.

Daily Rates

30 Amp Service $40.00
50 Amp Service $50.00

Weekly Rates
30 Amp Service $225.00
50 Amp Service $265.00

Monthly Rates
30 Amp Service $700.00
50 Amp Service $775.00

All sites include water and sewer.
Weekly Rentals add $25.00 for Electric
Monthly Rentals add $75.00 for Electric

Fishing off the Wall is included in all rental prices.
All check in Times are 11:00am
All Check out Times are 10:00am

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 12-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Mary appears to targeting Airstream owners.

As for Airstream specific concerns, I would suggest getting out the pruners, trim branches that might scratch the clear coat. I'll take that spot with the alligator proof fence.

I am guessing that this was an inexpensive, clever way to advertise.

She might want to focus on fishing forums as well.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Sites that are relatively level, FHU, a picnic table, a lantern hanger, fire pit, small stand up bbq grill. Think "state park".

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #14

Currently Looking...
South Portland , Maine
Pet friendly

Many people travel with cats and dogs. Make them feel welcome. A dedicated dog run and dog poop stations are the minimum.
Mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #15
Fay
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Sun Valley , Idaho
In addition to the great ideas above, I would like to suggest you employ friendly, helpful, efficient people in registration. Nothing like a smile and a good experience at the end of a day on the road
Fay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:19 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
The OP has joined this month and posted a total of 1 entry. It's a cheap advertising ploy, methinks.

They are already on the Internet with a web site and contact information. They have pictures of people at the camp, so they're already open for business. They have published rates and information about their campground and fishing/boating rentals and launch. They are visible in Google Maps so they didn't just start up. Just about everything that has been suggested here is already in place.

I seriously doubt that they need anything from the AS community other than patronage. I'd like to see a review by Good Sam
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 12-07-2015, 06:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The west coast of Florida used to have dozens of these little family run fish camps\camping parks. I stay at them when ever I come across one. Glad to hear of another. Folks that stay at fancy expensive "resorts" have little use for them. I have marked them a waypoint next time I get down that way.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:35 AM   #18

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Weeki Waccee , Florida
Sorry Airstreamers, I have posted a couple of comments to everyones questions and they did not get posted to the board.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:36 AM   #19

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Weeki Waccee , Florida
As soon as I get back in my office I will post some pics and and fill in all the details from the previous posts, thank you for everyones insight. Cheers
Old 12-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Rates - $28.00 a day plus $5 a day for water, power and sewer.

Daily Rates

30 Amp Service $40.00
So which is it, $33 or $40? Maybe $33 is 20amp?