Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2016, 06:34 AM   #861
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The thought of the hot water heater plumbing necessary to run the radiant heat and the energy necessary to keep the water circulating and hot sounds more like a maintenance nightmare. It will be interesting to watch how the system holds up in the mobile arena.

The Truma "AquaGo comfort plus" has a built in circulating pump, but the propane necessary to keep the water hot could deplete two 40 pound tanks faster than the furnace does.

If they also removed the propane powered Dometic ammonia based refrigerator for one with a Danfoss 12Vdc freon based compressor. that would also help extend the propane supply.

The 2017 Classic is turning into a gadget loaded vehicle like a fully loaded Cadillac Eldorado of the 60s. Get until the warranty runs out and all those gadgets need attention....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #862
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The European models have had hot water heat for quite some time. Whether it causes problems, I don't know. Ask a European.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #863
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
I've been away for awhile. What's the latest?
Old 08-09-2016, 04:47 PM   #864
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeocamperAS View Post
I've been away for awhile. What's the latest?
From the recent dealers meeting in Jackson Center. New small sized (thank updated Basecamp), new Nest and new MOHO based on a larger MB chassis. Going to be some interesting times on the horizon for Airstream.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:16 AM   #865
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Wheeler said in the video in post 1 that it would look like an Airstream, smaller, priced around $33K. And I thought he said aluminum.

So it can't be the MH. The nest is fiberglass. So is it a redesigned basecamp or is there something else still coming?
Old 08-10-2016, 05:47 AM   #866
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeocamperAS View Post
Wheeler said in the video in post 1 that it would look like an Airstream, smaller, priced around $33K. And I thought he said aluminum.

So it can't be the MH. The nest is fiberglass. So is it a redesigned basecamp or is there something else still coming?
Yes, as posted apparently something else is still coming. More details have come out since the first post. Dealers were shown the new models during their recent meeting and sworn to secrecy. Leaks on the new models details are being managed and slowly coming out. Recent visitors to Jackson Center have been taking photos and posting them here and on Facebook. There is a lot across the street with several dozen of the new longer MB frames without bodies awaiting their new Airstream built bodies. Current Interstate model come from MB with MB bodies. If the latest word from Mr. Wheeler is correct the new models should be out by the first of the year or shortly after. But until then we will have to content with rumors and personal opinions.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-10-2016, 07:50 AM   #867
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
AWCHIEF, thanks for catching me up. Like the song: "an-tic-i-pa-a-tion is making me wait. It's keeping me wa-a-a-aiting"
Old 08-12-2016, 04:56 AM   #868
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
As mentioned earlier in the thread regarding the Casita, Oliver, etc., I believe that if a company began building say 25 foot fiberglass models with a bit more refined interiors, Airstream would have major competition. After spending time reading posts for five years now I realize that although aluminum has some advantages, fiberglass has more. Leaking, floor rot, etc is more important to address than a water heated furnace. I do not have the issues I mention, to my knowledge; however, it is troubling when I read some post about another experiencing it, especially a newer model. One thing the Internet does is spread news and, if owners are legit, then these two issues should be paramount to Airstream.

It will be interesting to see this motorhome model mentioned.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:04 AM   #869
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
One thing the Internet does is spread news and, if owners are legit, then these two issues should be paramount to Airstream.
One other thing I've discovered about the internet. If one person has an issue, then another has the same issue, suddenly everybody says "this is a huge issue"... when in fact, it could be less than 1% of all owners seeing a particular issue. I'm not saying this is always the case, but if people are happy and don't have issues, rarely do they chime in say "wow, guess what folks? I have no issues."

I guess what I'm saying is as a former support person for a fortune 500 company who had to follow things like this, I've seen more than my fair share of mountains being made out of molehills to realize there are plenty of good things too.

I've had exactly one issue with my Airstream. That was due to faulty QC in many places. But it was taken care of and thus far everything else has been things that you kind of expect with trailers (screws coming loose).

Again, that's not to say Airstream is perfect. But my sister has a different brand trailer and while nice, they have had to take it into the repair shop for lots of things that lead me to believe it's just part of buying a product with lots of moving parts from lots of different vendors.

Wayne
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:05 AM   #870
Rivet Master

I'm not an engineer…but I play one on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The thought of the hot water heater plumbing necessary to run the radiant heat and the energy necessary to keep the water circulating and hot sounds more like a maintenance nightmare. It will be interesting to watch how the system holds up in the mobile arena.

The Truma "AquaGo comfort plus" has a built in circulating pump, but the propane necessary to keep the water hot could deplete two 40 pound tanks faster than the furnace does.

If they also removed the propane powered Dometic ammonia based refrigerator for one with a Danfoss 12Vdc freon based compressor. that would also help extend the propane supply.
Someone on the forum made is own furnace out of a RV water heater, a car radiator, a fantastic fan, and a low volume water pump. He said it used far less electricity for than a traditional RV furnace. I don't know how much propane it would use in comparison to a standard RV furnace…but BTUs are BTUs.

It would add some time to winterizing, and bleeding air from the loop might be a pain.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:05 AM   #871
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
In my opinion having lived in an older home with actual boiler and radiators, and working in the HVAC profession, the issue with hot water piped heating vs blowing hot air or heating with spot heaters is latency.

What? Late-what?

Imagine situation in let's say late October in midwest where it was 68 daytime, and no heat was needed. Then the sun goes down and it begins to get cold.

If I'm cold in my AS, and turn on the propane furnace, it immediately blows hot air and the space is warmed up in a couple of minutes.

Same if I use one of those small electric heaters.

If I only have a hot water heating system, then first the water needs to be heated. "Instant" hot water heaters can make this go pretty quick, depending on how much hot water is needed. But at some point the water starts out cold and has to become hot. Then the hot water needs to be pumped through the piping system.

Then the air next to the hot pipes needs to be warmed by being next to the hot pipes. Then the water being circulated has to be continually warmed by the hot water heater because it gets cold as it circulates through the cold space. And then eventually the air in the space is all warmed up.

How cold it is when the heat is first turned on directly impacts how long it will take to get the space inside to a comfortable temperature. And this time-delay may is the latency.

And when it's all warmed up, because it's cold outside, the hot water heater will still need to come on and off to keep the water warm, in the same way that the furnace will turn off and on based on the space temperature.

To combat being uncomfortable during the latency period, you will likely still be turning on your current heat pump or furnace, just to get the air warmed up quickly.

So the advantage of the water system?

Probably quieter, depending on the power source on the water heater, may be more energy efficient, not blowing a bunch of dry hot air in your face, and it's a comfortable heat.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:06 AM   #872
4 Rivet Member

Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
RVIA this December in Louisville should be very interesting.

Interesting to see IF the move towards designing, building and marketing smaller RV's continues as this was to "ME" the single biggest trend I saw at the 2015 RVIA show.

Airstream had a large display along with "Big Daddy Thor" and the others at the 2015 show. The smaller Airstream offerings were front and center as you entered the Airstream display with the larger units forming the perimeter of their display.

I'll bet the "Smaller is Better" theme will continue in force at RVIA 2016!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:21 PM   #873
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Maybe this is old news.....

The Vap, Episode 255, Alumapalooza 7 from June of this year (Rally at the mothership).

There was a very brief statement by somebody that was attending the rally concerning the Basecamp. The statement was to the effect that the Basecamp was being revived, but with a side door.

Subject changed after that statement. Maybe I heard it wrong.

Could that be the new, cheaper Airstream?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #874
29'84 Sovereign

1984 29' Sovereign
Largo , Florida
http://outsideinterests.info/article...-nest-caravan/
AIRSTREAM TO BUILD FIBERGLASS NEST CARAVAN
Pawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:14 AM   #875
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I know this has become a long rambling thread but it would be nice if people would at least scan it before posting. Might help in decreasing the amount of duplicate post and links.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #876
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
I saw the new Basecamp while at the factory last week. Could not get close to it though.
tbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #877
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawdawg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I know this has become a long rambling thread but it would be nice if people would at least scan it before posting. Might help in decreasing the amount of duplicate post and links.

Hi, this happens, but maybe it would be nicer to Welcome Pawdawg to the forum on his first post.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:19 PM   #878
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, this happens, but maybe it would be nicer to Welcome Pawdawg to the forum on his first post.
Thank you for that chastisement. I am sure you intended it in the nicest way.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #879
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawdawg View Post
Thanks, Pawdawg, for posting this!

Additional information and discussion on Airstream's Nest Caravan is seen in the AirForums' thread, Fans of the Airstream Nest Caravan!

Welcome to AirForums!

The prototype of the Nest Caravan that Airstream acquired is seen below:

P.S. Please pardon the duplicate post and links!
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:14 PM   #880
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Almost any thread that has almost 900 posts is going to repeat things. Not much more can be said until there is some news.

I have never seen a Basecamp except in photos, but wasn't it a kitchen, some storage and two cots to sit or sleep? It had two big doors in the back. If you move the door to the side, is it not a 16' Bambi? Is this confusion over the Nest and whatever Airstream is thinking about?

And the most important question—will a new Airstream MH come with a Nest as a spare?

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote