Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I'm familiar with the Toyota story. The principal is used in construction and called the Lean Process. I would speculate Airstream has at least experimented with it.

We have a saying in construction that I think is applicable:

You have three choices:

1. Cheap
2. Fast
3. Quality

Pick two.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #142
Rivet Master

Yeah but…….we do make SOME cool stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I didn't want to put it in so many words . Uncle worked GM Lordstown, OH Plant till retirement. I've been told the stories.

I made mention in the random thoughts thread that I'm not a believer in the "Made in America = Better Everything" - My MacBook came from China and is a fine piece of engineering.
Fender guitars, Martin Guitars, Richenbacker Guitars, Gretsch Guitatrs, Gibson guitars, Banjos, and Mandolins, Levis, Harley Davidsons, John Deere, Rock and Roll, Samuel Adams, and Pamela Anderson. Most of which copied and sought after all over the world. Then there's……….Airstreams.

I mean really….guitars, bluejeans, motorcycles, music, trailers, tractors, beer, and breast implants. What else is there ?
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #143
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
I choose cheap and quality. I'm already waiting five months to get my new Airstream.

I don't think two of three is working...

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #144
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I don't think cheap and Airstream fit together.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
".....it will be unmistakably an Airstream....."

Wrong.

Aluminum is aluminum. Something that is truly "unmistakable."

Paint is paint. Painting it an ugly grey does not make it "unmistakably an Airstream."

Finish it like a colourful little canned ham.....and they might have a chance. Yellow. Turquoise. Pink or red......

But.... I agree with the poster who said the Scout will dulute the mystique. I will go further than that - they will dilute the prestige. I am proud to say my trailer is an Airstream because people know exactly what an Airstream trailer is.

Now we have an interloper....that puke grey thing.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #146
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
If they would build an Airstream shaped 25-27 foot fiberglass trailer well equipped for under 40k and lacking a wooden floor, I would be in the market. A nice heavy coat of silver gel coat would suit me just fine. They could call it something other than an Airstream for all I care.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
If they would build an Airstream shaped 25-27 foot fiberglass trailer well equipped for under 40k and lacking a wooden floor, I would be in the market. A nice heavy coat of silver gel coat would suit me just fine. They could call it something other than an Airstream for all I care.
You just described the Keystone Vantage. Unfortunetly Keystone pulled it from production without even giving it a chance to catch on or to fix any production/design issues.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:44 PM   #148
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Yes, I looked at a Keystone Vantage and a Forest River Aviator....Neither are what I envision. I am wanting a fiberglass unit shaped just like an Airstream, not juat a rounded off on the edges box.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:07 PM   #149
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We've looked at some of the Vantages for sale on online sales sites. The interior is definitely cheaper-looking than an Airstream.

Since everyone else has said what they would like to see, I'll add my thoughts, too.

I'd like to see an Airstream that is maybe a foot taller so that it has some "basement" storage space. Obviously that space won't be very tall, but would still be useful. I'd like to see larger tanks. I'd like to see a greater CCC. In other words, I'd like Airstream to make a coach that would compete with other coaches in the full-time market.

Most full-timers choose either a motor home or a fifth wheel. Very few choose a travel trailer. Why not? There aren't any high quality travel trailers out there that are large enough for full-time use. I'd love to have a late 90's 34' Airstream, but at least half of what we carry with us would have to just plain go away, and most of the rest would have to be carried in the pickup. Much of that would have to stay in the truck unless actually being used.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I'm fascinated by this thread, and the idea of an alternative Airstream.

Six years after owning a T@B that we took cross-country, four years after selling a restored Argosy Minuet, and four years and 100+ camping nights with our current trailer, I'm thinking of a change. We still enjoy camping, but other activities vie for our time, although my wife insists on the value of getting away while avoiding tents like the plague.

I miss the T@B's size. I miss owning a car instead of our 18 mpg Durango. If there was an alternative to a Safari Condo Alto - something smartly designed with high quality materials, readily available in the US - this mid-40 DINK couple would be interested. This trailer isn't intended to be a full-timing trailer; if anything, our trip time is shrinking as we do different things. (The largest Oliver is too heavy and pricey to be the killer app.)

Then again, our Safari SE is pretty much stabilized in value, for probably the same amount as this new offering...and how much are used Interstates...

Tom
Old 11-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #151
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1964 24' Tradewind
1956 18' "Footer"
Southern , Minnesota
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1448587170.842977.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	252911

Here's my alternative to a modern, heavy trailer...
2080 lbs, 18' and yes, aluminum shell.
You'll be able to see it at Alumapalooza 7.
Begin drooling now...

It will be interesting to see what the Mothership comes up with.

Steve "Dancin" Hansen
TAC MN-31

visit my almost yearly blog https://www.bluessafari.blogspot.com
GR8DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:44 AM   #152
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
FAN makes the best point.

An AS is an AS because it needs to look like it looks because it looks that way as a consequence of the engineering of what makes it an AS (monocoque, riveted, low center of gravity on the outside requires it to have its appearance.)

Anything that looks differently is not a monocoque, riveted, low center of gravity trailer. So it cannot BE an Airstream trailer.

A sliver painted canned ham retro modern trailer actually in my opinion makes a mockery of the Airstream. Why? Because it implies that the AS looks like it does, simply because it has always looked that way. Not because it looks that way because it has to. Because that is why it is an Airstream.

The engineering and design predicate the appearance.

Now if the material were not aluminum and it were not joined by rivets, how could it still BE an Airstream? A sticker on the side of the unit not so much. The color to look like aluminum, not so much. I would venture to say that the Argosy IS an Airstream, (to the general public) so that mean that the appearance being dictated by the construction is what makes it an AS.

Thoughts?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:38 AM   #153
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

PB,

I do believe that Wally hisself would agree with you....

A recent quote from JC management during a media interview.

“The passion of...... snip ........ Following our founder Wally Byam’s Credo, ‘let’s not make changes, let’s make only improvements,’ .......snip.”

Bob
Old 11-27-2015, 06:56 AM   #154
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Look it's a cheap (I mean inexpensive) Harley!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	252918  
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:12 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Come on Mr Wheeler, "quit dangeling the carrot" tell us what you are up to. Don't keep us guessing.
Mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #156
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
an AMF Haeley....those were bad days....
Old 11-27-2015, 08:37 AM   #157
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobum View Post
Isn't HD doing this again with the new ones from India, I think? Could be wrong on this.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:47 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
New less expensive Airstream

We can speculate a lot about what the trailer will look like, but I predict that whatever it does look like that component construction will be employed.

It costs Airstream time/money to finish out a completed shell.

I predict sides and roof lines that are much straighter, with perhaps just enough curve and softened corners for "brand distinction".

Sides will roll down lines where interior panels and smaller fixtures are installed. I think these sides will then be set on a completed base/frame that is mostly complete including the floor covering, and then a rounded or rounded edge roof is bonded to the sides.

If the construction is mostly composite, (with integral "structural components") which I speculate it will be, the major panels and components will be imported.

The floor will be plywood.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #159
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobum View Post
That is an Italian made Aermachi. The only thing Harley on it is the sticker on the gas tank..... My dad used to ride around on a 1969 Sprint. It ran fine until a car pulled out in front of him in 1973. With that said not all AMF Harleys are bad. I have a 1977 Sportster that I have had nearly 25 years. I can ride it anywhere, anytime with no problems.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #160
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Isn't HD doing this again with the new ones from India, I think? Could be wrong on this.
You are correct. They are importing small CC bikes again. A 500 and 750 called "Streets"....I have yet to see one actually on the street, yet.