Old 11-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
AS does face big issues if they want to attract a younger group. Moparjohn is right about their views on care and fixing things. I don't know where I found this, but someone recently wrote in an article about RV quality that essentially the 1940s generation “accepted poor RV quality for a generation and quietly went to work fixing the problems themselves, or simply accepting the situation and living with it. Not so with Baby Boomers, and that certainly won’t be the case with the even more tech-savvy Generation X.“.
It will be interesting to see if a company so firmly focused on their past like AS can adjust before the next economic downturn.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:09 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Wheeler said they are targeting the 40s crowd

Generally speaking….They still have jobs. Mostly weekend trips. Can't go to far. Mostly fair weather camping. Maybe a week vacation or road trip. Not full timers, not two month cross country trips.

I just looked at the Casitas. That exterior rear kitchen is kinda cool. Fits in with my camping style. Most of my friends cook outside too. Nice to be able socialize while grilling. Wouldn't be so good for cross country trips

Wheeler said that most AS owners were 60 ish and 50 ish

The 20s crowd doesn't have money yet. The 30s are having kids and buying houses. The 40s crowd is saving for college. Cost is a big issue.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:18 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2008 23' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Wally Bee?

Maybe Airstream still has the moulds for the Wally Bee. Now that would be something!

From Wally Byam's Portrait - Airstream

Marius Hansen was more than just an Airstream employee. He was Wally’s friend and neighbor, as well as Airstream’s Fiberglass Department supervisor. In 1952, the company toyed with the idea of manufacturing fiberglass Airstreams. They developed a prototype, but the project was shelved soon thereafter.

For Airstream owners with vintage Airstreams, various fiberglass items like interior end caps, shower stalls, and rear bathrooms came from his shop. In the early 1960’s, also produced the “Wally Bee,” a small Airstream made with top and bottom fiberglass shells. Marius traveled with the “Wally Bee” as far as Managua, Nicaragua on a trial trip. Unfortunately, only one unit was produced before Airstream gave up on the project.

Sign me up! I'm a fibreglass "egg" enthusiast. I'd order a Wally Bee so fast. When we get hail here on the prairies, I know my boler is getting a good scrubbing, but I get a lump in my throat wondering if my Airstream will survive the beating.

We really considered getting a Bigfoot. They are probably one of the best built trailers; however, they are so ugly on the inside. If Airstream could build a Wally Bee like a Bigfoot, but with Airstream style, that would be a killer trailer!
Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod"
1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler" (bolerama.org)

WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
TAC- SK 23223
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #74
Rivet Master

And……...

This thread kinda HAD to bring up the Basecamp.

I dogged the Basecamp . They are really cool looking, and were a very cool idea. But were too much money for most of the people who would use them.
Had Airstream made a $7K sport utility trailer, and a $20K camper out of the Basecamp….who knows. Both would have been really cool, and both more useful.

I think I said the Basecamp wasn't a great utility trailer, wasn't a great travel trailer…..and if you put pontoons on it, it wouldn't make a great boat…but if they made one with pontoons…I would want one. It was a way better utility trailer than it was a travel trailer. And the retro design was very very cool.
OVERPRICED!!!!!!!

NOW they are going to be competing with Casita at almost twice the price tag
Old 11-24-2015, 09:58 PM   #75
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I'm 32 and this thread is hilariously entertaining.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
In my opinion over priced but has possibilities.

NEST Caravans
Old 11-24-2015, 10:11 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
I love this discussion! I think a great part of the question of what it will be is whether they plan to build a "travel trailer" or a "camper". Perhaps some definition is needed.

Several have brought up the Basecamp (which I own now, and love) and the VW bus (of which I owned three, and loved). It is true of both that they have no refrigerator, no heat, no hot water, no toilet (much less a shower) and no holding tanks. Hardly what could be considered a "Travel Trailer" or an "RV". These are campers, and both are great at being campers.

So, is Airstream planning a less expensive and sportier travel trailer, or planning a camper? Or, is it some sort of a hybrid?

The more it is like a camper, the easier it will be to hit the price target.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:24 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
Maybe Airstream still has the moulds for the Wally Bee. Now that would be something!

From Wally Byam's Portrait - Airstream

Marius Hansen was more than just an Airstream employee. He was Wally’s friend and neighbor, as well as Airstream’s Fiberglass Department supervisor. In 1952, the company toyed with the idea of manufacturing fiberglass Airstreams. They developed a prototype, but the project was shelved soon thereafter.

For Airstream owners with vintage Airstreams, various fiberglass items like interior end caps, shower stalls, and rear bathrooms came from his shop. In the early 1960’s, also produced the “Wally Bee,” a small Airstream made with top and bottom fiberglass shells. Marius traveled with the “Wally Bee” as far as Managua, Nicaragua on a trial trip. Unfortunately, only one unit was produced before Airstream gave up on the project.

I believe that two fiberglass Airstreams were made in the mid 50's. I know one at least still survives and is owned by Luke, in Fort Collins CO. He has done a restoration on it, but the interior had to be based on some speculation, as only some wall marks from the original remained, It was empty when Luke got it. When I last saw it, it was still a shell, but Luke told me it is now done and he has taken it to some vintage rallies.

It is a very little known Airstream.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:25 PM   #79

I worry that thier foray into a 'value' line won't go so well... However, I am looking to upgrade my 16' Scamp here are the reasons why:

1. Too small (no shower except a wet bath)
2. Sleeping on my kitchen table can be a drag over time
3. Fit and finish is nice, but I have worked to a point to where I want a bit of luxury... No other TT matches AS materials and design.
4. All current makes/models of TT look as through they were designed in the 80's, except AS

If AS builds a 'value' line, making it smaller is where the competition is, (Casita, Scamp bigfoot) and they are all on the tiny side.... There is nobody building a 23-27' fiberglass, that where the market niche is to be filled by AS.

That said, the AS brand is iconic aluminum, not some other material. This is a classic stock price move, not building a better TT.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:26 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I read reciently that Alcoa was getting big competition from foreign markets. Could the quality and availability have something to do with it? Also Ford is now using Alcoa aluminum.
Just thinking.
Mike
Old 11-24-2015, 10:43 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
I suppose this would be the Weewind & the monster ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0648.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	252832  
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe
2004 Chevy SSR+ 4 other trailers & 7 other Cars & Trucks
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:00 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Luxury for the masses - "masstique." (Harvard Business School).

I can't see Airstream pulling this off without dilution and dehancement of the brand, and Airstream has lost its appeal, regardless of the potential customer's age.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:34 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Talking Minus, minus.

I wonder whether the new trailer will just not have all the features that don't work in the existing trailers. That would save costs.

Jer
Old 11-25-2015, 12:10 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by prudencepb View Post
Hey Paula, Oliver is making a 23 or 24 footer/double axle model now with king or twin configuration.
It's 22 feet. And yes it is a nice LOW MAINTENANCE trailer. When the Avion is done it'll be the "residence" trailer (post retirement - somewhere in the southwest - and the OTHER trailer will be my summer traveler....

But will the OTHER one be Eddie?

Paula