Old 05-17-2016, 07:02 PM   #813
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
......And is $35,000 entry level? You can buy a Class C for less than that and need no medium size truck or SUV......

Gene
This has been my problem with the Nest. I suspect by the time they hit the dealers they may be even pricier that the $35k mentioned in several places. Already talk is they are going to add tanks and other stuff, price has to reflect those things.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Nest, it's just not for us (boomers, we need the extra room, as others have commented).

It's just that the price point was not at all what I expected. When I saw "less expensive", my mind considered that statement as "substantially less expensive". Say $20 to $25k. Let's face it, $35,000 is not a whole lot less than a Bambi. Especially if you buy a used one that's a couple years old. And the Bambi's are nicer campers, IMO.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #814
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Hopefully Airstream is projecting to build more units per year than the original mfg., and will be able to lower the unit cost significantly. If a new assembly line is set up per earlier comments, with molded bodies ready to go, a basic model could come in much lower than the $35k.

The first year could also be considered a loss leader with profit margins reserved for later years.

The last thing Thor needs is another Base Camp fiasco.

TBD

Old 05-17-2016, 07:53 PM   #815
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Hopefully Airstream is projecting to build more units per year than the original mfg., and will be able to lower the unit cost significantly. If a new assembly line is set up per earlier comments, with molded bodies ready to go, a basic model could come in much lower than the $35k.

The first year could also be considered a loss leader with profit margins reserved for later years.

The last thing Thor needs is another Base Camp fiasco.

TBD
Respectfully, I just don't see it. Airstream projects itself as a premium product and doesn't seem to mind high price points. (Total agreement on the Basecamp fiasco, BTW).

The Nest, I think, is aimed at the "wine and cheese" crowd. Nothing wrong with that. But the "less expensive" part of the conversation would look more a Camplite

The Camplite, IMO, aims at the less expensive, young folks crowd. That's part of the equation here, right? It's very well made. Inexpensive, lightweight and is already owned by Thor. Take a look at their website. Several of their models are directly marketed to young people.

To be certain, neither of these lines are "Airstreams". A few design changes can ameliorate some of that.

If you want to draw in young folks, make it cheaper, make it better.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #816
Sbb
begorragirl

2006 19' International CCD
Denville , New Jersey
My daughter, married with two children would be interested, hope the design has enough room to sleep four. With sports and dance activites all over the place, a Nest is the perfect weekend home base.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:25 PM   #817
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Airstream is a premium brand of RVs. I doubt these will be cheap.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:35 PM   #818
Rivet Master

2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
I have a couple of thoughts here.

As someone who owns one of the smaller Airstreams (22 Sport), we would have bought a 16 Bambi if they made a model nicer than the Sport. The older versions like CCD and DWR with the full back windows and larger overhead storage were quite different than the current 16 Sport, even if the view you see looking at the floor plan is the same.

That brings me to my next point-which is the line of sight feel inside a unit.

In my opinion, Airstream does a terrible job of marketing their product to show the true feeling of being in one.

Any car manufacturer, and most SOB trailer and B and C manufacturer websites will give you a 360 degree interior view and full exterior views, and elevation drawings of their product. Airstream only has a floorpan. I would like to see some computer animation files. Come into the now Airstream!

And if they want to attract younger buyers who are into experiences, they need to make it easy for those buyers to "show off" their experiences with a great website that links to media outlets and lets people lust after the dream a little bit. And quit with the full information request before you let someone even download your brochure. I feel they should do as much as possible to be all over social media like FB, Pinterest, blogs, etc.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:40 PM   #819
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Regarding showing off owner experiences, Airstream has recently dipped a toe into that space. It's wildly insufficient, but an interesting idea if they grow it up a bit: http://name.airstream.com/caravan

I fully admit it's a marketing effort mostly aimed at improving their existing mailing list, but if they bend it, stretch it and think a bit more creatively, it could become something interesting to both current and prospective owners.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #820
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
There is an old program saying, "lower your expectations to zero and you will not be disappointed".

Since our comments obviously have zero impact on Airtream's manufacturing and quality control processes, I could decide to be part of the solution or live in the problem. So I fixed all my issues using a competent repair facility and it was not cheap. I am living in the solution for me.

The younger generations seem to lack the experience to know both what is wrong and a way to fix it. Not too many shop classes in high school anymore.

So this Nest plastic shell will still have the same components from the same vendors for appliances, wiring, axles, tires, brakes etc. Access to repair this installed equipment will be important. Putting something substantial between the inner and outer skins for the screws to attach to will be important, but the customer will not see what is back there when a screw pulls out due to improper installation.

The first several hundred buyers will be the QC testers and be paying a hefty premium for that privilege just because a decal says Airstream.

Years ago, Betty Furness said about Westinghouse products on television "the the quality goes in before the name goes on". Sure hope the concept applies here with the Nest product.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #821
3 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Can't believe I'm contributing to The Thread That Will Not Die again, but...

I'm a software developer, in the Apple domain, so naturally I consider myself a design snob. As an example, our daily silverware collection at home is a mishmash. But there are four forks of one type that are the perfect weight and size - and they fit the hand perfectly. I'll dig through all the available choices every time to find one of those. If it's in the dishwasher I'll find it and wash it rather than use a lesser fork.

When you interact with a physical object and the function, the material, the sound it makes when you engage it, even just the way it looks - when they are pleasing and efficient they give you a small dose of dopamine every time you interact with them.

I'm hoping Airstream embraces the Nest for what it (hopefully) is. A highly efficient, high quality modern small towable.

This is a long but really detailed HD video walkthrough of an Oliver. I'm impressed with the fit and finish, the thoughtful design details - functionality being the highest priority. Great quality choices of equipment too. This is the bar Airstream need to shoot for.

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II
Old 05-18-2016, 12:56 PM   #822
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Years ago, Betty Furness said about Westinghouse products on television "the the quality goes in before the name goes on". Sure hope the concept applies here with the Nest product.
You have mentioned that the Airstream name was a least partially left off one of your trailers...
Old 05-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #823
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
Can't believe I'm contributing to The Thread That Will Not Die again, but...
. . .
This is the bar Airstream need to shoot for.
. . .
Well said, NW. We almost went for an Oliver over the new FC20.

Rest assured that this thread will not die, as long as QC remains spotty at ErrStream . . .

Old 05-19-2016, 05:06 AM   #824
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atkinson , New Hampshire
NWGetaways

It is interesting how the video you identified above spoke to you. In fact, if you speak with many of the recent Oliver owners they will tell you that video was an important catalyst in their decision to purchase an Oliver. If you dig deeper in an effort to determine what they saw in that video, three aspects pop out.

1. They saw an owner talking to prospective owners. That has a very different feel then a dealer selling to prospective owners.

2. They saw innovation, such as the battery placement. The innovation within the video facilitates extended dry camping in four seasons. It allows them to go where and when they want to camp.

3. Since the Oliver management has embraced both the video and the ideas brought forward by the narrator, they see a very different business model. One which is based on a partnership between the management and the owners. Together they drive innovation and customer satisfaction. That has a very different feel from a partnership between management and the dealers.

If you liked the video, you might like reading the threads on the Oliver Forum. The link below is just one example. Just as Apple is an incubator for change and innovation, Oliver has that same feeling for many of the owners.

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topi...ome-standards/

Enjoy!
NHAir
Old 05-19-2016, 06:57 AM   #825
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Another interesting view/thread from the Oliver folks,

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topi...ravel-trailer/
Old 05-19-2016, 07:20 AM   #826
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
those Oliver trailers look very well put together and well thought out.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote