North central , Florida
Wow, wonder where it is now!

Old 05-13-2016, 08:51 PM   #772
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
I saw that trailer partially restored at the Restoration rally in ABQ a couple of years ago.
His name was Luke I believe, he owns a restoration shop in Colorado.
Super cool trailer!
Mike

Old 05-13-2016, 09:33 PM   #773
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Wow, wonder where it is now!
Luke's house in Fort Collins is where I saw it a few years ago. The exterior was fully restored, but the interior was still in the planning stages.

Richard

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #774

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I received the latest edition of Airstream Life in yesterday's mail. There is a feature article by Rich Luhr titled 'Airstream Goes Fiberglass'. According to this article, the"Nest by Airstream" as it is tentatively being called will be produced in Jackson Center. It goes on to say that the Airstream version will be heavier than the original Nest as Airstream is expected to add a black tank to the unit.

The first of these new Airstreams are expected to be built in 2017.

If this comes to pass, it may get a lot busier around here next year.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #775
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I received the latest edition of Airstream Life in yesterday's mail. There is a feature article by Rich Luhr titled 'Airstream Goes Fiberglass'. According to this article, the"Nest by Airstream" as it is tentatively being called will be produced in Jackson Center. It goes on to say that the Airstream version will be heavier than the original Nest as Airstream is expected to add a black tank to the unit.

The first of these new Airstreams are expected to be built in 2017.

If this comes to pass, it may get a lot busier around here next year.

Brian
This article (on Airstream Life, Editor's Page, Summer 2016 issue) also points out that this might be "an excellent strategy to capture first-time buyers."

Additional info: Fans of the Airstream Nest Caravan, an AirForum's thread started to provide a place for those interested in following the development of the Airstream Nest through production to being available and beyond.

This thread is intended to be similar in scope as its sister thread, "Fans of Airstream Interstate", providing a place for members to share their Airstream Nest related thoughts, ideas, excitement, concerns, eventual experiences (both good and bad), as well as the solutions and remedies!
Old 05-14-2016, 02:42 PM   #776
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
We probably are going to need a new Nest forum...
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #777
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Some of the recent expansion money must have gone to the PR department. They are working overtime building hype for the Nest.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:35 PM   #778
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
PR does not cure QC issues if those are not addressed from day 1. That means designing the assembly process with QC involved at every step, otherwise the familiar stories we read here will be migrated to the new product as well, which would be really sad.

You can spray all the air perfume you want, but if the bathroom floor is covered in solids from overflowing toilets, the problem is just masked.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:11 PM   #779
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
This article (on Airstream Life, Editor's Page, Summer 2016 issue) also points out that this might be "an excellent strategy to capture first-time buyers."
I really hope Airstream does not treat the Nest as a low cost, entry level Airstream. There are many people that want a smaller trailer that is very high quality. It is not a very well addressed market and it would be great if Airstream will keep a lot of the original vision with the Nest and not try to build it down to an entry level product.

Too main people on Airforums think everybody wants a a big, aluminum trailer with twin beds and recliners, with the only reason people buy something else is because they can't afford it. This is just nonsense. There are many that want to tow with smaller vehicles, get into smaller campsites, want a more durable, lower maintenance exterior but still want a decent quality trailer. Hopefully the Airstream version of the Nest will be a great trailer and Airstream will step up the QC on it and all of their products.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:13 PM   #780
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I think the small trailer market is saturated. At least it felt that way when I was shopping. If they want the Nest to differentiate itself, they're gonna have to up their quality, and that's gonna cost $$$.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:17 PM   #781
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
I think the small trailer market is saturated. At least it felt that way when I was shopping. If they want the Nest to differentiate itself, they're gonna have to up their quality, and that's gonna cost $$$.
And some of us are prepared to spend the $$$. But there has to be value for money spent. Stepping up quality control will be paramount in that.
Canada
AIR #11529
http://northvancouvermodern.blogspot.com/
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:49 PM   #782
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Hopefully the Airstream version of the Nest will be a great trailer and Airstream will step up the QC on it and all of their products.
Don't count on it. If they were going to step up the QC they'd already be stepping up the QC on their other product lines. A new product line doesn't improve all the others. If anything, it drags down the others because it draws experienced workers away from the existing product lines to start up the new line.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:50 PM   #783
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Is there not a number of competitors? What will airstream bring to such a product that is not already out there? Honest question.

It looks attractive really - and many of the competitors I am aware of lack such a look...

It will need to be rock solid though in my view quality wise...or perceived value for a pricey but stylish trailer like this will evaporate.

I hope it works out - although we love our big heavy 30 foot bunkhouse

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:52 AM   #784
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' World Traveler
Nashville , Tennessee
C

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
PR does not cure QC issues if those are not addressed from day 1. That means designing the assembly process with QC involved at every step, otherwise the familiar stories we read here will be migrated to the new product as well, which would be really sad.

You can spray all the air perfume you want, but if the bathroom floor is covered in solids from overflowing toilets, the problem is just masked.
AS has continued with the same QC problems and issues with "Silver Bullets" for 70 years without change or problem resolution and continue to sell their product.

Therefore my question:

Why would QC issues at Day 1 be a problem with this new AS product??

After all "It's An Airstream"!!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote