Old 04-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #757
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
One recent example he gave was someone said the president of Airstreams daughter was married to the son of the president of Thor or something silly like that. Definetly untrue but the person that made the post was adamant that he was correct. A couple more were about the flooring material used and insulation. He reall gets a kick out of the GYM slamming and the misinformation repeated over and over again.
I said the president was married to the daughter, not the son, of one of the honchos at Thor. I didn't say president of Thor as I recall. I was called on it and admitted I was wrong. Maybe the marketing guy should tell the correct story. I believe it was the previous president (before Wheeler) of Airstream who was married to an Thor honcho's daughter. Once the honcho died, son-in-law left the company, didn't he?

So far as floors go, the plywood used as a subfloor is not sufficiently sealed to prevent water damage to it from leaks. They even used OSB on some of the cheaper trailers for a while. OSB costs less and if it gets wet, swells and makes a mess of the floor. Airstream should have known floors get wet sometimes.

Insulation has been the pink fiberglass that is not a very good insulation and only a couple of inches thick. Once it gets wet, and it almost always does, it tends to clump and provide even less insulation. The pink stuff is difficult for even experienced insulation contractors to install (yes, tests have been done) correctly, Airstream has traditionally given insulation installation to the greenest employees.

There have been many, many posts about Goodyear Marathon failures and a survey on the Forum showed it a fairly common problem. They are a cheap tire, not unlike many OEM tires on cars and trucks, that the manufacturer can get very cheaply. As Bob posted above, Airstream offers Michelins as an option on some of their premium trailers.

That guy was a marketing guy and will say whatever sounds good to him to sell trailers.

Glad to see he's reading here, but he hasn't learned much that he'll say in public. Some people have no problems, some have a lot, some have some. Even at GM's worst, some people had no problems. Maybe the marketing guy will post publicly and engage in a real debate, though I expect that won't happen.

Gene

Old 04-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #758
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I said the president was married to the daughter, not the son, of one of the honchos at Thor. I didn't say president of Thor as I recall. I was called on it and admitted I was wrong. Maybe the marketing guy should tell the correct story. I believe it was the previous president (before Wheeler) of Airstream who was married to an Thor honcho's daughter. Once the honcho died, son-in-law left the company, didn't he?

So far as floors go, the plywood used as a subfloor is not sufficiently sealed to prevent water damage to it from leaks. They even used OSB on some of the cheaper trailers for a while. OSB costs less and if it gets wet, swells and makes a mess of the floor. Airstream should have known floors get wet sometimes.

Insulation has been the pink fiberglass that is not a very good insulation and only a couple of inches thick. Once it gets wet, and it almost always does, it tends to clump and provide even less insulation. The pink stuff is difficult for even experienced insulation contractors to install (yes, tests have been done) correctly, Airstream has traditionally given insulation installation to the greenest employees.

There have been many, many posts about Goodyear Marathon failures and a survey on the Forum showed it a fairly common problem. They are a cheap tire, not unlike many OEM tires on cars and trucks, that the manufacturer can get very cheaply. As Bob posted above, Airstream offers Michelins as an option on some of their premium trailers.

That guy was a marketing guy and will say whatever sounds good to him to sell trailers.

Glad to see he's reading here, but he hasn't learned much that he'll say in public. Some people have no problems, some have a lot, some have some. Even at GM's worst, some people had no problems. Maybe the marketing guy will post publicly and engage in a real debate, though I expect that won't happen.

Gene
Don't shoot the messanger. Maybe you should contact Airstream directly and set the record straight.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #759
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Don't shoot the messanger. Maybe you should contact Airstream directly and set the record straight.
Michael, no shots intended at the messenger. Just used your quote of him to answer what he said. I'm fairly convinced he reads this thread and could answer himself if he wanted to (or was allowed to).

Thanks for posting what you heard. It offers some insight into the position of the company.

Gene
Old 04-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #760
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Received the May Blue Beret today. More (?) information from Justin Humphreys VP of Sales for Airstream on the future and direction of Airstream including discussion on the Nest Caravan.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:39 PM   #761
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Chattanooga , Tennessee
If all or most trailer tires are made in China, most of the blow outs will be on Chinese made tires. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that GYMs are probably inferior tires. How much anecdotal evidence does it take before it turns into a proven fact? I don't know, but I upgraded my tires and wheels for my comfort level.

It took me awhile in business to learn that the customer's perception is his and my reality. Either dispel that perception with facts, or live with it. If you don't deal with it you will lose a customer. Laughing and joking about customer perceptions is verboten. They are nothing for a serious business to joke about.
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #762
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I did not bring up the subject of GYM tires but sorry I wasted everyone's time commenting on them. I should know better by now.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:12 AM   #763
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Talking about tires is like a chew toy for a dog. Both create user satisfaction.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:30 PM   #764
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond , Indiana
less expensive Airstream

I read some of the posts that I see on this thread. I see so many people posting about problems with their Airstreams, such as floors, rivets, tires, etc.
If anyone hates their 19 foot Airstream so bad they want to sell it a really discounted price I would like to take it off your hands.
I would be glad to own a nice late model Airstream for a reasonable price and I wouldn't complain about it, I would just enjoy it.

I would be proud to own a unique piece of American history.

Thanks, Vaughn
Old 04-30-2016, 01:34 PM   #765
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Vaughn, great attitude. I love my Airstream with its few warts and all. Looking forward to the future of Airstream with new projects coming and going to be interesting to see what they do with the Nest acquisition.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:33 AM   #766
1 Rivet Member

Downers Grove , Illinois
Little Baby Airstream Is Here to Make Summer Road Trips More Adorable

http://www.insidehook.com/nation/min...stream-trailer
Old 05-06-2016, 09:56 PM   #767
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I used to write press releases that said nothing like this one!
Old 05-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #768
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Saw a silver Casita driving through Durango today. Sharp looking...could pass for an AS with a few lines and airbrushed rivets.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #769
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
None of the Nest photos I've seen show an A/C. Apparently a 13.5k is an option. The looks will be spoiled with box on the roof. My Casita had a low profile 9k A/C. That was more than enough to cool on the hottest days but it was pretty noisy.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:24 PM   #770
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
This is not Airstream's first foray into fiberglass trailers. Wally Byam made two or three prototypes of a fiberglass Airstream in about 1960-61. Bud Cooper found this one in a yard in McAllen Texas about ten or twelve years ago, and someone scooped it as a resto project before I could. It is believed to be the last survivor of the three. It was called the Wally-Bee. I know it got trucked off somewhere, but I've not heard anything about it since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wally Bee.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	262196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiberglass Airstream small.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	262197