Old 04-21-2016, 10:34 PM   #701
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
He is the brains of Nest. The five year consultant contract is just the legal way to implement a non-compete agreement. I had one. If Airstream will use his service and if he is noble, he will help them in ways they do not appreciate yet.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:01 AM   #702
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If Airstream thinks they know it all and put this chap in a closet, we will see the same poor results that we see every day with the 80 year old design that should be idiot proof...

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:32 AM   #703
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Airstream is keeping their scheme under wraps until it's developed or perhaps released for sale. Looks like they've got a body shell. We talked to a fellow at Jackson Center last week who sold his nice Base Camp to them last year because they were looking for one to take apart. Not to start another rumor, but maybe they're looking for a chassis.

Fun and mostly foolish to speculate but they could use the entry level Airstream at the showroom. Why give up this market to all the other fiberglass tubs who try to look like an Airstream.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #704
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
"Why give up this market to all the other fiberglass tubs who try to look like an Airstream."

I should do a better job of ignoring some posts, but until then...

First, I find the attitude of some Airstream owners towards non-Airstream trailers reprehensible. Unfortunately, given what I've read on this forum over the years, this is not an isolated problem.

Second, the "fiberglass tubs" that you are belittling have been the force of innovation in an industry plagued by QC issues, which also seems to be frozen in time. Airstream’s design has not changed since 1970s: Current Airstreams have the exact same problems the 1970’s Airstreams had: fragile frame, leaks, rots and poor QC and worksmanship. Those "fiberglass tubs" have introduced Aluminium frame, leak free shells, composite flooring, and light weight trailers to the industry -- Unlike Airstreams, you don’t need a monster truck to carry the 1000# plus tongue weight of the trailer or and expensive, complex hitch to control it down the road.

The "fiberglass tubs" own the market segment that is actually growing and Airstream’s acquisition of Nest, IMO, is an (desperate) attempt by Airstream to find a foot hold in that segment.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:03 AM   #705
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
And I have no doubt that they will succeed as they have the marketing expertise to make it happen. Look what they have managed to do with Airstream. Heck, their marketing is so good that folks buy several fully knowing all the on going faults. Or maybe some people really are gluttons for punishment or never learn from their mistakes.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:48 PM   #706
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
And I have no doubt that they will succeed as they have the marketing expertise to make it happen. Look what they have managed to do with Airstream. Heck, their marketing is so good that folks buy several fully knowing all the on going faults. Or maybe some people really are gluttons for punishment or never learn from their mistakes.
Not only the marketing experience, but also the national dealer network which is priceless. With the Airstream name they will attract a far wider market. Getting national distribution is an extremely difficult thing to do.

What I don't understand is why Airstream needed to buy a company. With 5 axle routers and CAD/CAM it should not be beyond their capability to design an original. There are mold manufacturers that will build the mold from supplied plans. They must have acquired the assets for a very good price.
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #707
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
The trick is to build brand loyalty. There is a certain cachet to the name Airstream. Once a customer identifies with a brand the trade up process begins. It could be a very smart move.
I'll give my very biased opinion of this... This is an extremely tricky model. As many of you are aware, there is this company in Wisconsin that makes motors, and motorcycles too...

This engineer of theirs had an idea for a race oriented motorcycle. He left Harley Davidson and started building racing bikes in his barn. Erik Buell built some pretty amazing racing bikes with the HD engine (as amazing as you can get with a 50 year old design)... Erik was a great engineer, but a rather poor business guy. Fortunately for him, he still had friends at HD and they took over Buell motorcycles and started selling them alongside HDs. The idea was that racing bikes were things 20 year olds rode and when the time came to "move up", they were used to coming into the HD dealerships and they would buy Harleys. However, what really happened was Buell riders were Buell riders and Harley riders were Harley riders. The up sell to to Harleys just never happened.

Eventually HD decided that it was time to sell nothing but Harleys and shut down Buell (2010). Erik tried to reopen under EBR bikes, but that too ran into financial issues and was forced into bankrupcy.

----
If this story sounds a bit like Airstream, it's because I think it is similar.

I simply don't think companies should rely on the up sell. It is a tricky thing to get people in a sub-brand or product to change to another. Buell riders were just that, buell riders and not HD riders.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #708
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Why buy a NEW Airstream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
I can't seem to find the post that was made concerning a "Resto-Mod" vintage Airstream in comparison to a new Airstream as it relates to delivery time, cost and quality.

The poster made the comment suggesting that a restored vintage "Resto-Mod" Airstream is the way to go given the quality of product re-manufactured by several of the dominant vintage Airstream trailer restorer's across the country. A "NEW" vintage Airstream trailer with modern interior design/amenities, modern safety upgrades to chassis, build times similar to Airstream waiting list and most importantly a MUCH higher quality trailer from these restorer's than anything produced new by Airstream today for 1/2 the money.

This begs the question?

Why buy a new Airstream?
Because it is easy to get full replacement insurance for the first five years of ownership. Read about my vintage resto Avion woes. WHOA!

REMINDER: NO RV is an "Investment" - they're all toys for grownups. If you don't accept that, don't buy one. (Sorry I'm a bid jaundiced right now. But in truth, when I go home tonight and do my weekly cleaning of the Airstream I'll sit down with a coffee & Kalua and look around grinning - it's better than Prozac!

Paula
Old 04-22-2016, 03:13 PM   #709
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We haven't regretted Buying a New Airstream for a moment, we've had two over the last 8 years and they have been nothing but a joy. Beautifully assembled and close to trouble-free, always worth fixing when needed and worth the effort, easy to tow with many sedans, suv's and trucks, the low profile and fully independent torsion suspension ride smooth and exceptionally stable. We've spent over 1200 nights camping in them and towed them throughout the country many, many times with light duty pickups.

We did own a fiberglass tub (actually two tubs top and bottom), a Scamp, fine little fiberglass tent but it ain't no Airstream. I look forward to see what Airstream design can do for this market.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #710
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
I'll give my very biased opinion of this... This is an extremely tricky model. As many of you are aware, there is this company in Wisconsin that makes motors, and motorcycles too...

This engineer of theirs had an idea for a race oriented motorcycle. He left Harley Davidson and started building racing bikes in his barn. Erik Buell built some pretty amazing racing bikes with the HD engine (as amazing as you can get with a 50 year old design)... Erik was a great engineer, but a rather poor business guy. Fortunately for him, he still had friends at HD and they took over Buell motorcycles and started selling them alongside HDs. The idea was that racing bikes were things 20 year olds rode and when the time came to "move up", they were used to coming into the HD dealerships and they would buy Harleys. However, what really happened was Buell riders were Buell riders and Harley riders were Harley riders. The up sell to to Harleys just never happened.

Eventually HD decided that it was time to sell nothing but Harleys and shut down Buell (2010). Erik tried to reopen under EBR bikes, but that too ran into financial issues and was forced into bankrupcy.

----
If this story sounds a bit like Airstream, it's because I think it is similar.

I simply don't think companies should rely on the up sell. It is a tricky thing to get people in a sub-brand or product to change to another. Buell riders were just that, buell riders and not HD riders.
That could all well be true. HD has a loyal following as does AS. SeaRay boats also have a loyal following. They do group cruises as well as their annual Aquapalooza with thousands of SeaRays participating all over the country. They start with smaller models and work their way up to about 60' over million dollar boats. Which model economics will work for AS? Only the market will sort that out.

http://www.marinemax.com/stores/Sout...uapalooza-2015
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:25 PM   #711
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
...there are those who just have a hard time accepting change. A highly respected European management consultant once said, "the only person who likes change is a wet baby." In following this thread (and AirForums) for about 5 years now I've observed that I can just about know what to expect from some Forum members by looking at who's posting. Several folks just never have anything good to say about Airstream. I guess being a "negaholic" does reduce stress! I can't wait to see an "Airnest" at my dealer's, and I'll bet some savvy marketing folks did some careful homework before this deal went down. Just because they are built in a one-stoplight town doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:17 AM   #712
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' World Traveler
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
Not only the marketing experience, but also the national dealer network which is priceless. With the Airstream name they will attract a far wider market. Getting national distribution is an extremely difficult thing to do.

The National dealer network will as said above "Priceless" to the success of this new trailer line for Airstream. Only 1 of the fiberglass "Egg" trailer manufacturer's sell their product through dealers and they are completely sold out through next Winter.

NONE of the fiberglass trailer manufacturer's displayed their product at the National RVIA show in Louisville last December as that industry show is heavily attended by and marketed to RV dealers who do not sell "Egg" products new. It's hard to buy a NEW fiberglass "Egg" trailer. With the exception of the Escape you have to go direct and buy direct from the manufacture's and they are all sold out of production. The only way you will see any "Egg" trailer short of visiting the factory is to go to a campground, one used at an RV dealer, advertised for sale or an "Egg" event.

The interesting part of the AS acquisition to me will be how the competitor's respond to this acquisition. Will the current "Egg" manufacturer's change their product, sales and marketing practices in the future as a result of Airstreams product and entrance into the market? Time will tell.

I would not expect any changes in the "Egg" market until everyone see's what product AS introduces to the "Egg" market, how AS choose's to market their trailer and their success entering the "Cottage" industry that is the "Egg" trailer market!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:41 AM   #713
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Casita and Oliver have a referral program and potential buyers can be hooked up with local owners. When I owned a Casita and frequented those forums, many new customers traveled from afar to pick up their new unit in Rice, TX. Not far from Rice is Little House Customs that sell and install modifications, accessories and perform service on Casitas. He's always busy. The fiberglass egg trailer like Airstream are kinda cult like trailers. If you build it they will come.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:48 AM   #714
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
My wife settled on a 23D as the smallest trailer for our short trips and trips into older Western RV parks that can support only the shorter trailers. While the Airstream literature calls the 23D 23' long, in the rest of the industry it would be considered a 20' trailer as that is the size of the "box".

Similar thoughts would suggest that our 31' Classic would be a 28' model in the SOB world.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote