Old 04-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #687
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Is the seven bay building just outside the West exit door still there?

The three bays on the left is where the Land Yacht with Italian interiors were hand built and the right door was the scale each trailer has to cross as it comes off the line.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #688
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Something new and undesirable. Now after the last post and before the message box, "You may also like".

How do we get rid of that?

Gene

Old 04-13-2016, 12:15 PM   #689
Rivet Master

Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Something new and undesirable. Now after the last post and before the message box, "You may also like".

Gene
For AIR Supporting Members, as usual, there is a link in your User CP to disable this option (>edit options >> disable recommended articles >>> save).
Old 04-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #690
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
For more info. see this new thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...es-149241.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
. . . For AIR Supporting Members, as usual, there is a link in your User CP to disable this option (>edit options >> disable recommended articles >>> save).
. . .
Old 04-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #691
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I don't know what your exposure and/or experience is with the high-end motorhome market, but as I cut my teeth servicing this RV segment, doing warranty work for Marathon, Millennium, Vantare, Liberty Coach and Newell ( which IMHO is the FINEST motorhome available as it is NOT a conversion bus), sub par equipment IS NOT FOUND in these top of the market coaches, and there are generally no 'poor quality issues' associated with these products.

Owners ARE NOT UNDERSTANDING nor are they accepting of any poor quality as it is virtually non-existent with these one-off multi million dollar items. Would you be accepting of fit/finish issues, leaks, non operating components or any other 'annoyances' after spending this amount of money????? I sure as hell wouldn't be!!!!!

Components are often cutting edge and the best available, wiring is neat, orderly and professional, many service items are readily accessible (particularly with Newell Coach) and most importantly: THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS UNMATCHED IN KEEPING THE CLIENT HAPPY!!!!!

Comparing Airstream, which is a production RV company owned by a major mid-level RV manufacturer and Newell or a Prevost conversion, which are small, quality at any price custom outfits shops is neither fair nor relevant. They indeed are very separate products that are worlds apart!!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Good post, Lew! I would add, that hand built luxury products, weather a car, house, luxury boat, motorhome, or trailer;are built to specifications which should include accountability guaranteed by the manufacturer quality department with penalties to workers who cut corners. Cheep or shoddy workmanship reflects on the management and company; it can/does affect sales...one could argue. Does not seem to me that AS Executives are interested in changing things with the backorders rolling in, however. I note we had no issues with our Casita for the 2 years between AS's; except for it was too small at 17'. Oliver 23 is same width as Casita; narrow compared with AS. Looked again at new SOB or what wife calls "white boxes" last weekend, but the quality of materials, drawer slides, exposed plywood in places, even with "top of the line" Keystone and Coachman. AS still has one of the best reputations...but AS owners here on the forum have some pretty scary experiences with the new models lately.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #692
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post

Gene

Lame attempt at a thread high jacking. 🙀
Old 04-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #693
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Lame attempt at a thread high jacking. 🙀
Not lame at all—a genuine highjack caused by the introduction of a new "feature", "articles" that looked like ads. This was an emergency! It also generated answers how to turn it off, though I found the source of the problem earlier today and have turned them off. Not sure how to turn off the ad at the top of every thread.

Carry on.

Gene
Old 04-21-2016, 06:25 PM   #694
3 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
I ran into a couple at Fort Flagler in a 19' Escape who epitomize the adventure travel market. The tow vehicle and the trailer were festooned with two bikes, two paddleboards, and two kayaks.

Interestingly, the gentleman was from Bend, OR, and friends with Robert Johans, the Nest CEO and BaseCamp guy. He said they debated the merits of his design over the Escape, with Johans being somewhat of a "purist" - not wanting propane, etc.

Apparently Airstream bought the Nest molds and Johans' services. One thing he said was that Airstream was definitely going to include a black tank.

Small world!
Old 04-21-2016, 06:52 PM   #695
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Only Time will tell what Aistream will do with this acquisition. Lots of unfounded rumors and supposedly inside information floating around here.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:28 PM   #696
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
Apparently Airstream bought the Nest molds and Johans' services.
Yep, that's what it means to acquire the assets of a company vs. acquiring the actual company. They don't pick up any debt (if there was any), nor do they have to take any employees (if there were any).

Then they sweeten the pot to get the founder to come along as a consultant. There's probably a 2 year egg timer on his consulting deal (e.g. if he stays to the end of his gig with them, there's another pot of money for him at the end). It's normal and helpful - if they listen to him, they'll have a better chance of realizing the max benefit of their acquisition. If they ignore him he gets a little frustrated, but if he can stick for the duration at least he walks away with a bit more cash.

I hope it works out well and we get to see an Airstream-style Nest real soon.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #697
3 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Yeah my "source" said he's in for five years.

Golden handcuffs.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:55 PM   #698
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Chattanooga , Tennessee
My opinion only, but I think that AS is looking at the new smaller model as an entry level unit. The trick is to build brand loyalty. There is a certain cachet to the name Airstream. Once a customer identifies with a brand the trade up process begins. It could be a very smart move.
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #699
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sigh. I'll stick with aluminum. Just like the look...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #700
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
Yeah my "source" said he's in for five years.

Golden handcuffs.
Funny