Old 04-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #673
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' World Traveler
Nashville , Tennessee
Take a look at the Prevost bus market as it compares to the Airstream market. The "fat 60 and up crowd" that buy them new are affluent (MONEY) with great travel intentions.

The reality is that 5 years later after the purchase of this retirement dream the dream has faded or become eliminated because of life changes, health changes and yes even DEATH! Many of the same bus and Airstream owners are now selling there retirement dream at a HUGE LOSS of money.

Bus's and Airstream's are NOT investments they are expenses just like any other toy. Buying this toy for many is the easy part. Maintaining and making the time or desire to continue to use their toy becomes more and more difficult as they grow older.

The "Nest" is not a product for the traditional Airstream buyer. The "Nest" is an evolutionary product for Airstream as they move forward and try to continue to be relevant in the RV camper world of the future.

For young people today a "Silver Bullet" is a Coor's beer not an Airstream camper!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:07 AM   #674
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' World Traveler
Nashville , Tennessee
I can't seem to find the post that was made concerning a "Resto-Mod" vintage Airstream in comparison to a new Airstream as it relates to delivery time, cost and quality.

The poster made the comment suggesting that a restored vintage "Resto-Mod" Airstream is the way to go given the quality of product re-manufactured by several of the dominant vintage Airstream trailer restorer's across the country. A "NEW" vintage Airstream trailer with modern interior design/amenities, modern safety upgrades to chassis, build times similar to Airstream waiting list and most importantly a MUCH higher quality trailer from these restorer's than anything produced new by Airstream today for 1/2 the money.

This begs the question?

Why buy a new Airstream?

Old 04-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #675
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
2006 25' Safari SS SE
Austin in winter & Lincoln in summer , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughn Hobbs View Post
So, do I understand all of the posting I have been following for months about a new less expensive Airstream? Does this mean that a product called a "Nest" is what all of the "excitement" has been all about for all of the hype?
I looked at the pictures of the Nest, it is just another fiberglass two piece glued together small camper.
Is that what this is really all about?
I would think that the folks at Airstream would have come up with something better than that if it's going to be called an Airstream.
I have actually been delaying purchasing a camper because I actually thought there might be something worth waiting for in a small easy to tow travel trailer that might actually be priced where I might be able to afford it.
I am 67 years old, I want something so easy to tow that even a mini van could tow it (although I have both a truck and will have a mini van when I retire). I have had so many campers in my life I can't remember them all, actually years ago I used to buy distressed campers and fix them up to sell so I could afford to take better vacations. I have had everything from a 10 foot Aliner to a 34 foot double slide fifth wheel and even two Airstreams (they were my favorite). One I bought new, the other used.
I am now where I've discovered that, for me, less is more or better when it comes time to travel. I just want a nice comfortable dry place to sleep and have enough facilities to be comfortable. I was hoping to own another Airstream as my retirement camper but I guess maybe not.
I do enjoy looking at the multitude of posts I see on the forums site and I realize I could buy an older Airstream and fix it up, but I'm over that now.
Besides, I hardly ever see a used 16-19 footer for sale. When I do see one, they want almost as much as a new one.
Thank you, Vaughn Hobbs
Check out the Casita....
Old 04-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #676

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have never known of any Airstreamer that purchased their Airstream as an investment. Nor do I see an Airstream as a toy. It is a more a freedom machine that allows its owner to travel the country in relative comfort.

I have bought two new Airstreams and one used one. All have been heavily used for their intended use, traveling and camping. I have gotten my money's worth for each one.

If no one ever bought new Airstreams, there would be no vintage Airstreams.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #677
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Well said Brian. Got our prior model year 2014 FC20 new at a good discount.

Happy with her in spite of inconsistent quality control issues.

Bird in hand . . .

Old 04-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #678
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
The Prevost and Airstream market for new units are not the same. I don't consider a $2 million dollar Prevost in the same league as a $100k Airstream. Someone spending north of $1 million on an bus is not concerned about depreciation.

As JP Morgan said when someone asked him how much it costs to maintain his yacht "If you have to ask that question, you can't afford the yacht". The same goes for a Prevost.

We all know that while a Prevost is nice, it doesn't measure up to an Airstream.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:00 PM   #679
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' World Traveler
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Apparent View Post
The Prevost and Airstream market for new units are not the same. I don't consider a $2 million dollar Prevost in the same league as a $100k Airstream. Someone spending north of $1 million on an bus is not concerned about depreciation.

As JP Morgan said when someone asked him how much it costs to maintain his yacht "If you have to ask that question, you can't afford the yacht". The same goes for a Prevost.
BOTH the Airstream trailer and the Prevost bus conversions are the pinnacle of their respective market segments.

BOTH the Airstream trailers and Prevost conversion bus's are grossly overpriced when purchased new.

BOTH Airstream owner's and Prevost owners are successful and generally older, in most cases a LOT older, when they make their original purchase.

BOTH Airstream owners and Prevost owners understand and are accepting of the poor quality issues associated with both products, the cost of ongoing maintenance of their "Toy" and other ongoing upkeep issues associated their very expensive purchases.

BOTH Airstream's and Prevost owners are certainly accepting of the abhorrent depreciation they enjoy on their purchases when it comes time to sell them due to age, desire or infirmity.

Aside from the difference in the initial cost of purchase of an Airstream versus a Prevost conversion the respective markets and the buyer's of each appear to me to be VERY SIMILAR!

Old 04-12-2016, 01:00 PM   #680
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
I can't seem to find the post that was made concerning a "Resto-Mod" vintage Airstream in comparison to a new Airstream as it relates to delivery time, cost and quality.

The poster made the comment suggesting that a restored vintage "Resto-Mod" Airstream is the way to go given the quality of product re-manufactured by several of the dominant vintage Airstream trailer restorer's across the country. A "NEW" vintage Airstream trailer with modern interior design/amenities, modern safety upgrades to chassis, build times similar to Airstream waiting list and most importantly a MUCH higher quality trailer from these restorer's than anything produced new by Airstream today for 1/2 the money.

This begs the question?

Why buy a new Airstream?
When we contacted one of those companies, the cost was double that of a brand new Airstream.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:47 PM   #681
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
BOTH the Airstream trailer and the Prevost bus conversions are the pinnacle of their respective market segments.

BOTH the Airstream trailers and Prevost conversion bus's are grossly overpriced when purchased new.

BOTH Airstream owner's and Prevost owners are successful and generally older, in most cases a LOT older, when they make their original purchase.

BOTH Airstream owners and Prevost owners understand and are accepting of the poor quality issues associated with both products, the cost of ongoing maintenance of their "Toy" and other ongoing upkeep issues associated their very expensive purchases.

BOTH Airstream's and Prevost owners are certainly accepting of the abhorrent depreciation they enjoy on their purchases when it comes time to sell them due to age, desire or infirmity.

Aside from the difference in the initial cost of purchase of an Airstream versus a Prevost conversion the respective markets and the buyer's of each appear to me to be VERY SIMILAR!

I don't know what your exposure and/or experience is with the high-end motorhome market, but as I cut my teeth servicing this RV segment, doing warranty work for Marathon, Millennium, Vantare, Liberty Coach and Newell ( which IMHO is the FINEST motorhome available as it is NOT a conversion bus), sub par equipment IS NOT FOUND in these top of the market coaches, and there are generally no 'poor quality issues' associated with these products.

Owners ARE NOT UNDERSTANDING nor are they accepting of any poor quality as it is virtually non-existent with these one-off multi million dollar items. Would you be accepting of fit/finish issues, leaks, non operating components or any other 'annoyances' after spending this amount of money????? I sure as hell wouldn't be!!!!!

Components are often cutting edge and the best available, wiring is neat, orderly and professional, many service items are readily accessible (particularly with Newell Coach) and most importantly: THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS UNMATCHED IN KEEPING THE CLIENT HAPPY!!!!!

Comparing Airstream, which is a production RV company owned by a major mid-level RV manufacturer and Newell or a Prevost conversion, which are small, quality at any price custom outfits shops is neither fair nor relevant. They indeed are very separate products that are worlds apart!!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #682
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Another relevant post (#664) Chuck. We first saw an Interstate maybe 12-15 years ago in a Nevada parking lot. It looked pretty nice and we looked in the windows. We saw it was an Airstream on a Mercedes chassis. I checked on the internet and they cost around $80 K. We didn't know anything about RV's at that point. Now they cost twice as much.

I guess that means my 2008 25' Safari Special Edition is now worth over $100 K.

Gene
Old 04-12-2016, 05:42 PM   #683
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Stopped at the Camping World in Ocala today. They sell and had in stock Mercedes van conversions by four different companies. I have a challenge for any Airstream converted Mercedes owner or anyone contemplating buying. Remove the conversion company labels inside and out from an Airstream and from the CW versions. Bet you you can not pick out the Airstream. Same furniture look and same add on systems at a much lower price. They also sell van conversions based on other platforms, all very impressive looks and price.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #684
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
. . . A good example of poor planning - the street side and rear awnings package are attached after the water pressure test. Guess what? Holes are drilled and often gaskets are improperly or not installed and there are leaks in the awning fittings. If one has not seen the build process, they would not know that the awning package price includes a high probability of leaks. . .
We went on the factory tour today. In the expanded production plant they now have space to install the awnings BEFORE the water test, and do.

Among the rants about Airstream quality, let us sneak in a report that after 4 1/2 years and some 1200 nights camping our Airstream was delivered new with no defects and we have only experienced a very few minor issues associated with extensive travel and use. Our so-called cheap components have had no failures. Our Airstream looks as nice as new.

They are now building 75 units a week and backordered for 1500 units (Hardly on the ropes.) An American company hand building trailers not unlike they did decades ago by workers who want to make a living and stockholders who want to make money. Quality can be spotty in this system, but all is repairable and worth the effort.

Looking forward to the new Airstream; not that we need one but to see what they can do. On the other hand, maybe a little weekender Airstream would be a useful partner to our Flying Cloud.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #685
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
So what are they doing with the building a little northeast of the main building where they used to install awnings?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #686
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
So what are they doing with the building a little northeast of the main building where they used to install awnings?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
We'll check it out tomorrow. I remember the area from past visits, I think the factory expansion went out that way. Last time we were there three years ago in nice weather they were installing awnings and doing some electrical installs just outside the service bays. They needed the expansion. I wish them well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote