Old 04-04-2016, 06:45 AM   #575
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Apparently Nest had been on the market for almost a year. Have they sold any, Are there any on the streets other than the prototype? I do like the true monocoque construction, with no seperate frame structure to speak of. No plywood floor to rot and fewer opportunities for leaks and the associated damage that causes in the current Airstream design. Thinking it might make a nice second Trailer for those quick getaways when a bigger trailer might not be the best choice. After all look at how many members here have multiple trailers in different sizes. I would expect them to depreciate rapidly and be more affordable on the used market within a short time.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:22 AM   #576
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I would expect them to depreciate rapidly and be more affordable on the used market within a short time.
IF they hold their value like Casitas, that would not be true. Casitas actually tend to hold their value as well or maybe a little better than Airstream trailers, save the completely rebuilt and remodeled vintage trailers.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #577
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Hire an advertising agency.

Create hype.

Promote the unique characteristics of your previous products glorious history.

.... sit back at the home office, listen to the chatter discussing an engineer's drawings, some exaggerations, some color possibilities of how wonderful this is going to be. Build a proto type for the RV Shows.

Get the product on the dealer's lot, create an atmosphere that the trailer is in short supply and get the feedback from the dealerships on their generous local promotional opportunities.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #578
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Mellennials like high priced tiny houses, now they can have a high priced tiny RV.
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #579
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
I disagree. The bylaws are clear. If it's made by Airstrem, it's already in. No voting or discussion required. The last time the rules were tweaked was when they were revised to allow the Basecamp in. There was actually little debate on that change. The debate comes only when NON-AIRSTREAM products are discussed.
Just to add to Joe's information. The official WBCCI rules state.

Quote:
Sec. 1
An adult who owns a hard sided recreational vehicle manufactured by Airstream, Inc. shall be eligible for membership. (6/30/06)
So yes the Next will be welcome, just like Interstates and Motorhomes, etc. The old Argosy's and other trailers arguments are true but that was many many years ago.

Damon
Old 04-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #580
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Airstream Inc. is going to have fun getting the service network up to speed on this acquisition!

Image the parts inventory and repair techniques that the dealers will need to implement. Evidently, Airstream must believe it's worth it.

I wonder if a new building is going to be purchased? I have to imagine a new line will need to brought up to speed. I would love to know the sales goal. 1,200 a year?

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems that although the Nest might be a great trailer, it's kinda like sticking a Jaguar hood ornament on a Ford Contour. That ended badly for everyone.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #581
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I like it. Not a millennial here (retired now) and the cost seems competitive with a similarly sized Airstream. The big benefit IMO is the fresh thinking (door location makes sense, layout is different, no body seams, monocoque construction) and the low weight. I like the focus on design, for the same reasons I value that in other products. The cost of the trailer by itself isn't as important as the impact of requiring a second vehicle to tow it, and this one could be towed by a wide variety of vehicles

Jeff
Old 04-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #582
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I'm really surprised at some of the negative comments on the Nest. I think it is one of the coolest and innovative small fiberglass trailers to come along. It is not for the many of the current Airstreamer owners that want their recliners, bigger televisions, and diesel trucks to tow it with. A super high quality trailer that is easy to tow with a smaller vehicle will have a decent market. The big question is will Airstream take the basic concept and cost engineer a lot of the quality out of it. My other concern is will Airstream do a half of attempt with it and then drop it in a year or two and leave the first customers orphaned like they did with the Westfalias. Hopefully they will do the right stuff and learn some ways to add higher quality into the Airstream line too.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:16 PM   #583
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
If the same inconsistent quality control seen in recent years carries over to the Nest, it will be a foul nest indeed!

Many Rivers To Cross on this . . .
Old 04-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #584
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
summerland key , Florida
I am new to travel trailers, looking at AS and reading this thread and picked up on the Oliver TT mentioned here. I think the people at Oliver have been reading this forum and listening.

Oliver has very impressive aluminum steps, 16" aluminum wheels with Michelin tires/with nitrogen with same for the spare, NO wood floor, all aluminum trailer frame, molded fiberglass body with fiberglass liner and lifetime warranty on fiberglass for original owner.

It seems that Oliver has covered some of the big complaints and weak points owners of AS have complained about here. The big ones being why AS hasn't moved into the 21 century and used a composite floor not affected by water leaks, continues to use blowout prone GYM tires and a painted steel trailer frame? Why not make the trailer just as durable as the aluminum skin? Yes, I know money, money, money but others like Oliver appear to be doing it?

My apology if this post is inappropriate. Not connected in anyway with Oliver but looking for an AS and was shocked to read about some of the problems posted here.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day, John
Old 04-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #585

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscld View Post
I am new to travel trailers, looking at AS and reading this thread and picked up on the Oliver TT mentioned here. I think the people at Oliver have been reading this forum and listening.

Oliver has very impressive aluminum steps, 16" aluminum wheels with Michelin tires/with nitrogen with same for the spare, NO wood floor, all aluminum trailer frame, molded fiberglass body with fiberglass liner and lifetime warranty on fiberglass for original owner.

It seems that Oliver has covered some of the big complaints and weak points owners of AS have complained about here. The big ones being why AS hasn't moved into the 21 century and used a composite floor not affected by water leaks, continues to use blowout prone GYM tires and a painted steel trailer frame? Why not make the trailer just as durable as the aluminum skin? Yes, I know money, money, money but others like Oliver appear to be doing it?

My apology if this post is inappropriate. Not connected in anyway with Oliver but looking for an AS and was shocked to read about some of the problems posted here.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day, John
I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the Oliver. It is a very well executed travel trailer with some very innovative features. Airstream could take a few lessons Oliver. This is especially true if Airstream was to venture into the fiberglass travel trailer arena.

I like everything about the Oliver. I'm just sorry that they don't offer a size travel trailer that would fit our needs.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:04 AM   #586
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Same here. We want to want an Oliver, but the size and floor plan wouldn't work for us. For example, we're not willing to make up our bed every night and then stuff it all away every morning just so we can have a place to sit comfortably during daylight hours.

Meanwhile, make no mistake - many of us on the forum will complain and groan about tires, leaks, plywood floors, et. al., but most here love their Airstream trailers despite the imperfections. It's kind of like Democracy, which per Churchill is the worst form of government except for all the others. Many folks here (such as Moosetags) are on their 2nd or 3rd Airstreams. If we were truly haters, that wouldn't be happening.

Despite this level of dedication, where it is clear AS products could be so much better than they are it's clear we don't hesitate to stream our thoughts into the open air for all to enjoy.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #587
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
The Oliver Elite II is close to 5000lbs dry, 23' 6" long and 7' wide. Maybe a fiberglass 25/27 length that is 8 1/2 wide would be heavier and more complex to build than the current Airstream lengths. I couldn't imagine a longer wider trailer with all that white fiberglass interior with those mirrored cabinet doors. The Oliver is too much like my previous Casita just a fancier and better equipped version and still has a wet bath. For the same price as Oliver there is always a 25 Bigfoot.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #588
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Heck some of the loudest complainers here have multiple late model Airstreams. Go figure. 😂