Old 04-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #547
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I agree that WBCCI will have a cow if this new little plastic trailer is conspicuously branded as an Airstream. They won't know what to do. They'll be scrambling for some stupid excuse not to admit them to the club.

Brian
I disagree. The bylaws are clear. If it's made by Airstrem, it's already in. No voting or discussion required. The last time the rules were tweaked was when they were revised to allow the Basecamp in. There was actually little debate on that change. The debate comes only when NON-AIRSTREAM products are discussed.

WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #548
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I think the Nest is pretty cool. I wonder about how easy it is to build; Bend has a labor force that's used to building composite airplanes. Not sure I love the bed orientation or using folding chairs instead of a dinette though...

Maybe my biggest wonder: I paid less for my near-immaculate (then) five-year-old Safari SE 23'. What price will the market bear, and what sales volumes make this a worthwhile investment for Airstream?

Tom

Old 04-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #549
Rivet Master

2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
I think the tipping point for intended users is the ability to pull without a larger vehicle, more so than the price of the trailer.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:54 AM   #550
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I am disappointed
Old 04-03-2016, 01:01 AM   #551
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I think this "Nest" is a pretty neat little trailer, but not for me. I'm highly disappointed that Airstream didn't design their own little trailer, rather than buy one. And the price of the options seem awfully high to me.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:07 AM   #552
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The pricing and options listed are for the current Nest ownership. I would suspect that could all change when and if Airstream starts producing them.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:53 AM   #553
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Columbus , Ohio
Nest/Brenderup?

A few years ago, after I got my first horse, I was looking for a horse trailer. As a weird, lucky, win the lottery moment, I found a Brenderup trailer on CL. It's a 1998, but it's really light, really tall, wide and bright inside.

And, even before I started the Safari I thought about just remodeling that trailer into a camper. It was built in TX, but designed and owned by Thule. So, it's built with specs for the European market. Weight, surge brakes, etc.

I'd have to guess that the Nest team had seen one of these during their research and they just expanded on the concept.

Ours has held up extremely well. But, it is a two piece system, top/bottom and along the seam it did leak. Which just took some Capt Tolleys. Plus the side windows/vents and back don't seal completely so there was moisture getting in through these openings, too.

They had a specialty, one piece, baltic birch floor with coating in it originally.
We replaced with marine, baltic birch and rhino liner.

It is a really nice trailer to tow. And the horses love the light and head room. If you look at the specs I attached the Brenderup is actually a lot wider. Which would be one of my gripes with the Nest.

If the Airstream nest is anything like the Brenderup it seems like a winning combination to me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf brenderupspec.pdf (46.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: pdf nestspecs.pdf (64.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 04-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #554
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' World Traveler
Nashville , Tennessee
The powers that be at Airstream appear to have decided that selling $60K-$150K trailers while good NOW may not be the only future for Airstream as future markets can change quickly.

I believe this acquisition says a LOT about the fiberglass egg trailer market and the fiberglass trailer market in the future. Unfortunately for Airstream the Airstream trailer as it is currently configured is a "Baby Boomers Dream". Having said that it's not the "Dream" of subsequent generations behind the "Boomers".

Face Facts. The US "Boomer's" are the wealthiest generation EVER on this planet and subsequent US generations while successful are not and most likely will not be as affluent in older age as the "Boomer's". In the next 5-10 years ALL the "toy's" the "Boomer's" have lusted after and enjoyed will be for sale as they are too damn old the enjoy them. The toys of the "Boomer" generation will be CL fodder for the rest of us to purchase at scrap or yard sale prices.

I believe the Airstream acquisition of "Nest" says a lot of positive things about the future of the fiberglass trailer market. It will be interesting to see where all of this leads!
Old 04-03-2016, 10:18 AM   #555
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Vintage racer nailed it!
Old 04-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #556
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I think Vintageracer has it figured out.
Canada
AIR #11529
http://northvancouvermodern.blogspot.com/
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #557
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think vintage racer's theory was the same one I heard when I was a kid in the 1950's, about the retirees of that period of time. They had affluence and toys we could never achieve.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #558
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' World Traveler
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I think vintage racer's theory was the same one I heard when I was a kid in the 1950's, about the retirees of that period of time. They had affluence and toys we could never achieve.
Affluence? Maybe!

However the "Toy's" they desired in the 20th century are not the same as those desired in the 21st century in cost or configuration!
Old 04-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #559
2 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
I think the Nest is pretty cool. I wonder about how easy it is to build; Bend has a labor force that's used to building composite airplanes. Not sure I love the bed orientation or using folding chairs instead of a dinette though...

Maybe my biggest wonder: I paid less for my near-immaculate (then) five-year-old Safari SE 23'. What price will the market bear, and what sales volumes make this a worthwhile investment for Airstream?

Tom

I have followed the Nest trailer since conception. The party who started building them was running a fibreglass trailer restoration biz in Bend for a number of years. He did a wonderful job of restoring from the ground up a number of old fibreglass trailers. He would sometimes bring them to fibreglass trailer meets. When he designed the Nest he talked and listened to the fibreglass trailer community as to what they liked and wanted in a trailer and what they did not like about what was already on the market and tried to build a trailer that fit those wants. It will be interesting to see how it works out for him with Airstream.

No a small fibreglass trailer is not for everyone. In fact it is probalbe not for the average current Airstream owners BUT that is not who Airstream is targeting and there is a BIG demand for small fibreglass trailers. People are looking for something that they can pull with the smallish vehicle they already own and if they are lucky they can park it in the garage and not have to pay for off site storage. They want something that is simple in design that they can repair themselves.

Fiberglass trailers for a first time trailer owner are very simple in design and very easy for a new owner to maintain and fix things themselves. Its easy to polish up and old fibreglass shell to a nice shine state. As there is often little wood inside of a fibreglass trailer there is not much to damage should they leak so they retain their value.

Currently have a 25 year old 16' fibreglass trailer that is worth more today than it was new. It has all the same features of my Airstream with the exception of a smaller bed and less inside storage. BUT it fits in my garage, the Airstream does not which means I will be paying $125 a month in the winter to store the Airstream as we are not permitted to have trailers parked in driveway.

My little fibreglass trailer has been towed thousands of miles and logged hundreds of nights camping in the 7 years I have had it. Yup it is small but it did the job and it was far more comfortable than a tent One of the BIG things I will miss about it (should I sell it - have not decided) is the ability to park it in spots that a larger trailer will not fit. Have camped in some amazingly beautiful camping spots that others with larger trailers would never have the opportunity to camp in and I never will again should I only own my Airstream.

Although I have done all the repairs and replacement of many items on the fibreglass trailer (including some running gear) when I look at items that I would like to update/replace on the Airstream it is a lot more complicated & expensive to do and I may well end up paying someone else to do it.

There is a newish (10 years or so) fibreglass trailer manufacture - Escape trailers that who have greatly increased their manufacturing space 3 times since they started building their orginial 17' footer and and they have an ever increasing work force. Yet they have had to suspend taking orders for the trailers a number of times due to huge demand. They stopped taking orders for trailers last fall but they started taking orders again a couple of days ago and they are already booked out to delivery in the summer of 2017 once again.... maybe later, I haven't looked today to see where they are at.

Bottom line is there is a big demand for smaller lighter and easy to maintain trailers that will stay on the road for decades and hold their value and it looks like Airstream has realized they were missing out on that segment of the market.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #560
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' World Traveler
Nashville , Tennessee
Anyone know whatever happened to the "Wally Bee"?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...icture145.html