Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2016, 08:17 PM   #781
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
I think the small trailer market is saturated. At least it felt that way when I was shopping. If they want the Nest to differentiate itself, they're gonna have to up their quality, and that's gonna cost $$$.
And some of us are prepared to spend the $$$. But there has to be value for money spent. Stepping up quality control will be paramount in that.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #782
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Hopefully the Airstream version of the Nest will be a great trailer and Airstream will step up the QC on it and all of their products.
Don't count on it. If they were going to step up the QC they'd already be stepping up the QC on their other product lines. A new product line doesn't improve all the others. If anything, it drags down the others because it draws experienced workers away from the existing product lines to start up the new line.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:50 PM   #783
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Is there not a number of competitors? What will airstream bring to such a product that is not already out there? Honest question.

It looks attractive really - and many of the competitors I am aware of lack such a look...

It will need to be rock solid though in my view quality wise...or perceived value for a pricey but stylish trailer like this will evaporate.

I hope it works out - although we love our big heavy 30 foot bunkhouse

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:52 AM   #784
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
C

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
PR does not cure QC issues if those are not addressed from day 1. That means designing the assembly process with QC involved at every step, otherwise the familiar stories we read here will be migrated to the new product as well, which would be really sad.

You can spray all the air perfume you want, but if the bathroom floor is covered in solids from overflowing toilets, the problem is just masked.
AS has continued with the same QC problems and issues with "Silver Bullets" for 70 years without change or problem resolution and continue to sell their product.

Therefore my question:

Why would QC issues at Day 1 be a problem with this new AS product??

After all "It's An Airstream"!!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #785
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
What Pro' and Mike said.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #786
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
AS has continued with the same QC problems and issues with "Silver Bullets" for 70 years without change or problem resolution and continue to sell their product.

Therefore my question:

Why would QC issues at Day 1 be a problem with this new AS product??

After all "It's An Airstream"!!
You nailed it! I suspect that younger buyers are looking for perceived value and that an overpriced iconic image that apeals to a forgiving generation isn't going to cut it.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:09 PM   #787
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Other question as I have some friends that will be interested later in a small trailer like this...

Is there a "practical" difference between something like this and like the Oliver or casita? Or is it primarily aesthetic?

Old 05-15-2016, 04:45 PM   #788
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I dunno if there is a practical difference, but my neighbor had the largest Casita. It was well built. I wish they made them bigger....I have only seen one Oliver, but it looked like a well built trailer.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:53 PM   #789
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Other question as I have some friends that will be interested later in a small trailer like this...

Is there a "practical" difference between something like this and like the Oliver or casita? Or is it primarily aesthetic?

Good question. I do not think we will know until Airstream starts actually producing them. To me I feel it is primarily aesthetic as all manufacturers use the same off the shelf parts and pieces for their mechanical systems. I will say that the more I see pictures of the "prototypes" the better I like them.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:10 PM   #790
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post

Given how few Nests there are in the market right now (none) we can only speculate. Depending on the layup, the fiberglass shell itself could be anywhere from significantly worse to significantly better, with "better" also translating to "heavier" because of an improved glass-to-resin ratio. But if I had to guess, the fiberglass layup will be about the same since that's one of the "invisible" quality points where you can't actually see the difference in layup without visiting each factory or tearing apart your new purchase.

As for the interior, the potential use of real wood cabinetry versus fiberglass cabinetry with wooden doors could add an appearance of quality without necessarily being measurably better, again depending on materials used. But unlike the shell, this is an area where "improved" quality would actually be visible, so I expect Airstream will pander to customer expectations here, and highlight the differences in their marketing.

We all know that the appliances and fittings share commonality across the whole RV industry, so in that regard I expect the Airstream Nest will be much the same as the competition. Expect to see the same sinks, stoves, water heaters, and air conditioners as in other Airstreams, but in the smallest size available (so the Nest will probably use much of the same appliances as an Interstate).

The main question about the Nest in my mind is an irreverent one driven by where I live— will they float or sink if there's street flooding?
Old 05-15-2016, 10:12 PM   #791
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
New less expensive Airstream

Looking at the number of unsealed hull penetrations in my AS, I have my doubts....

And I'm quite sure my TV won't float any better.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:24 AM   #792
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Given how few Nests there are in the market right now (none) we can only speculate.
Very true and while I have seen many Casita units up close, it's going to be hard to really make any informed opinion based on the limited information out there right now for the Nest.

I am curious though since I haven't been following Airstream for years like a lot of folks here. Why was the Basecamp shuttled? Sales? I would think that they could have made a lot of changes using that product without having to buy Nest. But then again, I'm not familiar enough with the product line at this point.

-Wayne
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:55 AM   #793
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Comparing the various FRP egg RVs must start with their floor plans. Given that AS will be redesigning the Nest, comparison to other eggs may be premature.

In my personal opinion, the Nest is intended to fill a niche in the RV trailer market between the former Basecamp and the larger Sports/Casita/Oliver/etc. wet-bath units. Adding a black water tank would shift this niche considerably IMO.

The Nest's current cassette toilet helps define the limits of the niche at present IMO.

Stand by for the redesign . . . or speculate away knowingly . . .

PS -- the old Nest Caravan website is gone, and AS has a placeholder page with a form to fill out for info. on the new Nest coming in 2017.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #794
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
my neighbor had the largest Casita. It was well built. I wish they made them bigger...
"I wish they made them Bigger"!

This statement encompasses everything about the "Baby Boomer" generation. Cars, houses, trailers and RV's as "Bigger is Better"!

Look at the real world TODAY.

Smaller homes with small lots, smaller cars, bigger trucks, smaller RV trailers and smaller motorhomes. Condominium developments, cluster homes and massive apartment complexes. That's what is being built and sold today. The younger people today do not want a 4,000 square foot home on a 1 acre plus lot, a large car or large truck for that matter. The RV industry continues to downsize their offerings with better build quality and better design. The "Mantra" of the Boomer's has been "Bigger is Better". Now as the "Boomers" are OLD & they too are downsizing and looking to get rid of all their "junque", big cars, big homes and ultimately big RV's which will include AIRSTREAMS!

Who is going to buy all this "Baby Boomer" JUNQUE????

The younger people today don't want their parents cast off stuff. The younger people are not old enough YET to get on the nostalgia kick and collect the junque their parents cherished and I'm not so sure they ever will!

Want to see something depressing? Go to a local "Estate Auction" and see how little money a person's life accumulations of STUFF actually sells for. In most situations the only item of real value is their real estate if they have any!

With company funded pension funds GONE the way of the Model T (OUT), social security an "oxymoron" and younger people's retirement funding now fully dependent upon themselves for funding will the majority of young people be able to retire at all in old age? Many may be struggling the make living much less be able to enjoy or want to enjoy the "Airstream" lifestyle in retirement.

The folks here on this board fully understand the "I wish they made them Bigger" statement. We (Boomer's) are no longer the "Future" and many NOW consider us the "Past". Very few SUCCESSFUL companies build products directed for sale to folks living in the past.

Looks to me like AS is FINALLY moving into the FUTURE!!!

Definition of "Junque" = Fancy name for JUNK which is old or discarded articles that are considered useless or of little value.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:21 AM   #795
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
Very true and while I have seen many Casita units up close, it's going to be hard to really make any informed opinion based on the limited information out there right now for the Nest.

I am curious though since I haven't been following Airstream for years like a lot of folks here. Why was the Basecamp shuttled? Sales? I would think that they could have made a lot of changes using that product without having to buy Nest. But then again, I'm not familiar enough with the product line at this point.

-Wayne
We had a 4 year old Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe for 2 years after our first Safari 25'. Was very tight for 2 plus boxer! Takes a couple days to get used to it, then it works fine. They hold their value well; we got what we paid after 2 years. I like the 22' Oliver; layout similar to a large Casita, but also comes with twin bed model. They also offer a great solar/battery option package. Price can get to $50K+/new.

We looked at Basecamp at the time...pricy for what you got, we thought. To us, it was kind of like a horse trailer modified for camping. Dealer told me they had some leak issues around the door/ramp set up? Also, were kind of pricy for what you got, we thought. No offense to anyone...
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:31 PM   #796
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
definitive word on the subject

Wife says "Boy that is ugly!" My work is done here. Mic drop. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #797

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I agree on the design of the Basecamp. I always thought that it looked like a really sharp horse trailer going down the road.

We have always admired Casitas and thought that were really cute. A number of years ago, we were at a campground in Colorado where a Casita get together was being held. The Casitites welcomed us into their group and we had a great time with them. From this experience we learned that Casitas have a cult following, kind of like Airstreams.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #798
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
From one who owns and loves a Basecamp: they really need to be looked at as campers -- and pretty primitive ones -- and not as travel trailers. There is no built-in heat, hot water, fridge, toilet, or shower!

From my research I think they failed because of that, plus the Great Recession which bombed the trailer market, and they were priced at barely less than a 16' Bambi. Still, it is one of the "coolest" trailers ever made!

I think Airstream learned its lessons. The Nest is an example of a small trailer with many of the features the Basecamp lacked.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:55 PM   #799
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Wife says "Boy that is ugly!" My work is done here. Mic drop. Pat
Just remember that taste is subjective.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:06 PM   #800
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yeah a bunch of people on my fb were giving positive or interested comments - for whatever that is worth

I find it attractive - but I did not get uhhh - fiberglassitis from it