1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabin View Post
I guess that this is the new lower cost AS:

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2016/04/ai...ravans-buyout/

or is it another April Fools?
I note that the publication date is 2 April, so hopefully NOT an April Fool's. Interesting. Someday my 28' Argosy will be road-ready and I've fantasized about selling the 24' and getting a solo-sized trailer for the more-than-50% of trips I take on my own. As new prices have climbed and the used market remains red-hot for small trailer that has seemed more of a remote possibility.

If Airstream brands it unequivocally as an Airstream rather than "Nest, division of Airstream Inc." or something that gives cover to excluding it from WBCCI events, and if it's not $50k+ with air conditioning, this could be wish fulfillment for me.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #534
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
It would be a doggone shame if they didn't brand it Airstream. If Thor just wanted to sell a smaller cheaper trailer without that logo, they already had plenty of options. A sub-sub brand doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but perhaps that's why I'm not in marketing.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #535
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
BTW, to be clear about this acquisition, Airstream is acquiring "the assets" of Nest. This isn't quite the same thing as acquiring "the company." The latter would normally include the employees, including their founder - at least initially. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #536

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I agree that WBCCI will have a cow if this new little plastic trailer is conspicuously branded as an Airstream. They won't know what to do. They'll be scrambling for some stupid excuse not to admit them to the club.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #537
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Not this WBCCI member. I have a feeling I am not alone in that. If it says Airstream on it is an Airstream. Heck they let Mercedes built vans in. 😜
Old 04-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #538
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
I think that it will be more the case that the WBCCI will have to adjust with the times to remain viable.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #539
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I agree that WBCCI will have a cow if this new little plastic trailer is conspicuously branded as an Airstream. They won't know what to do. They'll be scrambling for some stupid excuse not to admit them to the club.

Brian

You know the old saying - every square is a rectangle but not every rectangle is a square? I'm thinking every Airstream is "currently" a Thor, but not every Thor is an Airstream. I think that's really the WBCCI issue. A Thor motor home that's not an AS brand is not an AS and should not (in my opinion) be part of the club. A Mercedes built Interstate motor home that is branded an Airstream absolutely should be welcomed in to the club - and so should this new trailer if branded an AS.

But I digress 😀
Old 04-02-2016, 04:48 PM   #540

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
You know the old saying - every square is a rectangle but not every rectangle is a square? I'm thinking every Airstream is "currently" a Thor, but not every Thor is an Airstream. I think that's really the WBCCI issue. A Thor motor home that's not an AS brand is not an AS and should not (in my opinion) be part of the club. A Mercedes built Interstate motor home that is branded an Airstream absolutely should be welcomed in to the club - and so should this new trailer if branded an AS.

But I digress ��
It just depends on the person being asked. The only negative thing anyone's really said about my Argosy was at a Region 9 rally... we had a "vintage row" (mostly members of my unit, actually) and did an open house one of the days. I was sitting in a camp chair under my awning when a woman who looked like she might've already been a WBCCI member for years by the time I got my driver's license (in 1980) turned to her husband and said "they never should've let those ugly painted trailers in the club" while she wasn't 6 feet from me. If it had been before I'd had coffee I might've said something about her manners, forgetting my own.

I'd bet you a mortgage payment (trailer payment?) SOMEONE will be bent out of shape if they brand these as Airstreams and thereby qualify for membership. Hopefully they'll just quit instead of dragging the club backwards.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #541

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
There were some in the club about ten years ago that had a problem with the Basecamp being considered a real Airstream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #542
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I guess I could get in trouble with the WBCCI police with our 23D since the factory failed to put the word "Airstream" on the back of the unit.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #543
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My policy on "club police" or the "neighborhood police" types is to ignore that sort of stupid comment. The bozos that act like that will, in the afterlife, be forced to forever do whatever they were against as penance.

There's a special place in hell for folk like that.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:29 PM   #544
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
The title of this thread has caught our eye occasionally, but until today neither my husband or I had taken the time to read any of it. I got thru the first 11 pages earlier this afternoon, but had to jump to the end so I could get back to the stuff I'm supposed to be doing today.

After going back a couple of pages to see what has been most recently discussed, I looked briefly at the Nest website then read the Gizmag article. Imagine my surprise to discover my husband and I have been turning our '79 Sovereign into an AS/Nest Hybrid.
We don't yet have a Nest thermostat, but we do have 2 MaxxAir Deluxe fans with remote controls, LED lights inside and out (inside are dimmable but they are run with remotes instead of light switches). Now that our gray/black tanks are back in, I'm wrapping up the custom window coverings, and we'll be starting our faux-finished custom cabinets this coming week. (My practice panel has been waiting for our bed platform for a few weeks.)

We don't belong to WBCCI yet, but should we consider it to pave the way the for the "Nesties"?

BTW - for those questioning why some renovate, there are some people like my husband and myself who are born with a "project" gene. Quite often it runs in families. You might say we're just hardwired that way. We couldn't not change something if we tried.

Kristal (Motto: We have a craft beer budget, if it's a craft it's in the budget.)
Old 04-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #545
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Clubs are run by committees who throw out the best and worst ideas and settle on the mediocre. Then they wonder why they have membership problems, so that becomes the central focus. Then they fuss endlessly over rules, and how they might be bent to increase membership without violating their principles. All the while protecting the hierarchy. WBCCI or a certain political party, there's sure to be a battle ensuing.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #546
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
It just depends on the person being asked. The only negative thing anyone's really said about my Argosy was at a Region 9 rally... we had a "vintage row" (mostly members of my unit, actually) and did an open house one of the days. I was sitting in a camp chair under my awning when a woman who looked like she might've already been a WBCCI member for years by the time I got my driver's license (in 1980) turned to her husband and said "they never should've let those ugly painted trailers in the club" while she wasn't 6 feet from me. If it had been before I'd had coffee I might've said something about her manners, forgetting my own.

I'd bet you a mortgage payment (trailer payment?) SOMEONE will be bent out of shape if they brand these as Airstreams and thereby qualify for membership. Hopefully they'll just quit instead of dragging the club backwards.

I knew I shouldn't have left out Argosy trailers in my comment! Of COURSE they are Airstreams - should never be a question. The woman you mention was clearly uninformed and never saw the thread in the forums with all the cool paint jobs on Argosy trailers.

For whatever it's worth - I personally wouldn't get one, but I like the Nest - and even if I didn't - if it becomes an Airstream product, I say welcome!