Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2016, 11:14 AM   #741
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Thanks. Nice write-up and photos. Check out the large skylight over the bed. Wonder if it stays up when open? Large emergency exit handle is obvious, but no spring/hydraulic openers/stays that I can see:

http://outsideinterests.info/article...st-interior-2/

Given the one-piece cast roof, and some good marine skylights, all kinds of options are possible. Note that some re-design is already in the works apparently, according to the article.

Thanks again for the link.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #742
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Looks like they have purchased "Nest Caravan" company. Pretty cool trailer and a good fit for Airstream.

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2016/04/ai...ravans-buyout/

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #743
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Your wish comes true.

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2016/04/ai...ravans-buyout/
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #744
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I guess its time to start talking about a spin-off.

1. Airforums - aluminum travel trailers, vintage kin, classic mohos.
2. Interstate - all those bread trucks, Sprinters and other self propelled things.
3. Glassers - all fiberglass models and Skamps and the like.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:15 PM   #745
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI -- Nest was first mentioned in Post #76 by Michael (AWCHIEF) around Thanksgiving time . . .

and "brain" posted the Nest company link in Post #327 a little after New Years . . . and see Post #512 for the first rvbusiness article . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:19 PM   #746
Rivet Master

Even when there was only 3 pages to read,,,,,

People weren't getting that it wasn't going to be aluminum.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #747
Rivet Master

Quote:
53 pages of fictional speculation. Poop is as good a subject as any to discuss.
Agreed…..Especially since we are dreaming or hoping or guessing, and discussing about the design of a new, cheaper, smaller, lighter model. Floor material to size of tires is all fair game.

On the other hand, think about it, If Airstream is following this thread to gauge interest, or to look for ideas…….They must have thrown their hands up in the air, or banged their heads. ha ha ha
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #748
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The Airstream marketing rep that was at the Florida State Rally said that he monitors the forum several times a day. He gets a laugh out of some of the total BS that some spout here as fact. He did give us a few of the more ridiculous examples. So pretty sure they are aware of the discussion. Hopefully they are getting some idea of what current owners at least are expecting.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:10 PM   #749
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
The Airstream marketing rep that was at the Florida State Rally said that he monitors the forum several times a day. He gets a laugh out of some of the total BS that some spout here as fact. ...snip...

Probably worth another topic! I would LOVE to know what I believe (and spout) about AS that is BS! I'm sure there's plenty! 😀
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #750
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
One recent example he gave was someone said the president of Airstreams daughter was married to the son of the president of Thor or something silly like that. Definetly untrue but the person that made the post was adamant that he was correct. A couple more were about the flooring material used and insulation. He reall gets a kick out of the GYM slamming and the misinformation repeated over and over again.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 04-27-2016, 11:13 PM   #751
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
One recent example he gave was someone said the president of Airstreams daughter was married to the son of the president of Thor or something silly like that. Definetly untrue but the person that made the post was adamant that he was correct. A couple more were about the flooring material used and insulation. He reall gets a kick out of the GYM slamming and the misinformation repeated over and over again.

Hi, well instead of getting a good laugh about what is posted here, maybe he should post the facts so we all know the truth. Hey here's an idea; Maybe he could have an Airstream thread on here and discuss with Airstream owners. Oh wait, they already did that and couldn't face the music. And not only walked away from this forum, but ran away.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:13 AM   #752
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I'm not sure that Goodyear Marathon slamming is BS.
In fact I am quite sure slamming Marathons has merit.
Airstream either agrees or sees an opportunity to sell the 16" wheel and Michelin LT tire upgrade as OE on some trailers and optional on others.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:51 AM   #753
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, well instead of getting a good laugh about what is posted here, maybe he should post the facts so we all know the truth. Hey here's an idea; Maybe he could have an Airstream thread on here and discuss with Airstream owners. Oh wait, they already did that and couldn't face the music. And not only walked away from this forum, but ran away.

That was before my time. Have the discussions related to that been removed? I can not seem to find any of them.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:58 AM   #754
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Some members of this forum can run anyone off. Been more than one good contributer run off. Sometimes we are our own worse enemies.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:00 AM   #755
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
That was before my time. Have the discussions related to that been removed? I can not seem to find any of them.
Chief, it was an attempt by Bob Wheeler to open a discussion with members here. Started out decent enough but soon some members decided to unload on him. You've seen it here. It wasn't pretty or accomplishing anything for anyone. He quietly left and the thread was deservedly removed.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:33 PM   #756
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atkinson , New Hampshire
Maybe Bob was attempting to determine interest among the Forum members to fiberglass RVs and someone referred to them as "tubs"!
NHAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #757
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
I said the president was married to the daughter, not the son, of one of the honchos at Thor. I didn't say president of Thor as I recall. I was called on it and admitted I was wrong. Maybe the marketing guy should tell the correct story. I believe it was the previous president (before Wheeler) of Airstream who was married to an Thor honcho's daughter. Once the honcho died, son-in-law left the company, didn't he?

So far as floors go, the plywood used as a subfloor is not sufficiently sealed to prevent water damage to it from leaks. They even used OSB on some of the cheaper trailers for a while. OSB costs less and if it gets wet, swells and makes a mess of the floor. Airstream should have known floors get wet sometimes.

Insulation has been the pink fiberglass that is not a very good insulation and only a couple of inches thick. Once it gets wet, and it almost always does, it tends to clump and provide even less insulation. The pink stuff is difficult for even experienced insulation contractors to install (yes, tests have been done) correctly, Airstream has traditionally given insulation installation to the greenest employees.

There have been many, many posts about Goodyear Marathon failures and a survey on the Forum showed it a fairly common problem. They are a cheap tire, not unlike many OEM tires on cars and trucks, that the manufacturer can get very cheaply. As Bob posted above, Airstream offers Michelins as an option on some of their premium trailers.

That guy was a marketing guy and will say whatever sounds good to him to sell trailers.

Glad to see he's reading here, but he hasn't learned much that he'll say in public. Some people have no problems, some have a lot, some have some. Even at GM's worst, some people had no problems. Maybe the marketing guy will post publicly and engage in a real debate, though I expect that won't happen.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #758
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I said the president was married to the daughter, not the son, of one of the honchos at Thor. I didn't say president of Thor as I recall. I was called on it and admitted I was wrong. Maybe the marketing guy should tell the correct story. I believe it was the previous president (before Wheeler) of Airstream who was married to an Thor honcho's daughter. Once the honcho died, son-in-law left the company, didn't he?

So far as floors go, the plywood used as a subfloor is not sufficiently sealed to prevent water damage to it from leaks. They even used OSB on some of the cheaper trailers for a while. OSB costs less and if it gets wet, swells and makes a mess of the floor. Airstream should have known floors get wet sometimes.

Insulation has been the pink fiberglass that is not a very good insulation and only a couple of inches thick. Once it gets wet, and it almost always does, it tends to clump and provide even less insulation. The pink stuff is difficult for even experienced insulation contractors to install (yes, tests have been done) correctly, Airstream has traditionally given insulation installation to the greenest employees.

There have been many, many posts about Goodyear Marathon failures and a survey on the Forum showed it a fairly common problem. They are a cheap tire, not unlike many OEM tires on cars and trucks, that the manufacturer can get very cheaply. As Bob posted above, Airstream offers Michelins as an option on some of their premium trailers.

That guy was a marketing guy and will say whatever sounds good to him to sell trailers.

Glad to see he's reading here, but he hasn't learned much that he'll say in public. Some people have no problems, some have a lot, some have some. Even at GM's worst, some people had no problems. Maybe the marketing guy will post publicly and engage in a real debate, though I expect that won't happen.

Gene
Don't shoot the messanger. Maybe you should contact Airstream directly and set the record straight.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #759
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Don't shoot the messanger. Maybe you should contact Airstream directly and set the record straight.
Michael, no shots intended at the messenger. Just used your quote of him to answer what he said. I'm fairly convinced he reads this thread and could answer himself if he wanted to (or was allowed to).

Thanks for posting what you heard. It offers some insight into the position of the company.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #760
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Received the May Blue Beret today. More (?) information from Justin Humphreys VP of Sales for Airstream on the future and direction of Airstream including discussion on the Nest Caravan.